Chrome Beta for Blade?

Guest kimomini

Guest evilbrain

Is it possible to be ported for the bad boy blade?

Damn you I almost thought from the name of the topic that it is possible. :D

But the answer would be no, because of our outdated armv6...

Guest kimomini

Would you know if temple run when released will be able to run on the blade? :P

Guest targetbsp

Damnit! I thought the same lol. I assumed this contained a download link.

Guest Sulthekk

I'm sure google will release the source after a while, but on armv7 phones it's slower than stock browser, and it's kinda large (~50 megabytes), so I see no reason for porting atm, even if sources were there. Firefox is smaller, and it even has an armv6 build available.

FF13 armv6 test build: http://db.tt/FMU9vHrE

Guest TheManicGibbon

Don't want to put a downer on things guys...but you're not really missing much wink.gif

I've been using it on my Nexus S, currently it appears to be bloated and buggy. It takes up a lot of space on the phone seems slower than the stock Android browser and is pretty light on features. Sure the syncing with the desktop version of Chrome is cool but I have yet to see it work. Additionally, it doesn't now, nor will it ever, support Flash or other such plugins.

You're not missing out ;)

Guest sm4tik

If someone tells me how to edit title of my thread i'll include the ever loved question mark :D

edit and then "use full editor" or whatever it was.

Guest Davidoff59

themanicgibbon, that's the story of Google's life at the moment. Adding features instead of getting their apps bug free.

I think they lost their QC department with the economic downturn. If it doesn't work on their showcase device, then what hope does everyone else's phone have.

Guest skywave

Theoretically its possible i guess. Don't know the content of the APK file, but i guess its just a modified binary based on chromium sourcecode. You can't really guess what modifications they made so that makes it pratically impossible.

Also there are lots of packages blocked for ARMv6 to weed out the slow crap devices and offer a decent user experience. Could be very much the case for the Blade where even the stock browser sometimes has difficulty to cope with large AJAX websites..

Also because it's ICS, which will very very likely never see a Google "approved" ICS update for ARMv6 update, its a sound business decision to profit from the improved speed of not compiling for legacy.

Guest evilbrain

I'm sure google will release the source after a while, but on armv7 phones it's slower than stock browser, and it's kinda large (~50 megabytes), so I see no reason for porting atm, even if sources were there. Firefox is smaller, and it even has an armv6 build available.

FF13 armv6 test build: http://db.tt/FMU9vHrE

Chrome used to be a hipster browser in the days and I am used to FF so am going to try out your link in a bit, almost downloaded.

EDIT: Tried out your ff armv6 version. Firstly, it was very weird, the name Fennec and the logo including an owl. But after I opened it, it was FF all right.

The general view of this browser is quite good, taken into account that it is in still in beta, everything is working fine, scrolling is smooth. But one thing I noticed is that it loads webpages in chunks, so if you scroll down fast you get a "no background" pattern as in photoshop, dunno how to name it. Also happens if you scroll up fast, so that may have something with cache, but I am a total noob in such things.

So, to conclude, even in beta, it is quite a good browser and I'll be looking forward to any updates.

P.S. OP, i suggest you change the topic of this thread to FF13 armv6 test build and put the download link on your first post, that way you can use this thread for a better cause ;)

Edited by evilbrain

Guest brookergray

themanicgibbon, that's the story of Google's life at the moment. Adding features instead of getting their apps bug free.

I think they lost their QC department with the economic downturn. If it doesn't work on their showcase device, then what hope does everyone else's phone have.

Bug free software? Are you high or something? There's no such thing as bug free software. Especially if it has "beta" in its name.

Do you think that given a developer team with N people all of them should work on solving bugs if say N/3 people can do it in roughly the same time? (Given large enough team adding more people to it would not make them work more efficiently If the size of the problems stays the same ). If your software doesn't have any bugs you didn't ship it early enough.

@TheManicGibbon so is it bloated or light on features? The two are kind of opposites. And you should be happy that it doesn't support flash. Sooner or later it would break anyway because adobe stopped working on it.

Edited by brookergray

Guest Davidoff59

I am aware its in beta. I was referring more to most of Google's apps. Youtube has had issues for 6 months for example. Take a look at its market comments.

Look what the Cyanogenmod team have built with much less resources and a relatively small team. I think it just shows the difference between those that are passionate about something and those that are paid to do do it 9 to 5.

Me high? No thanks, that leaves more for you to chill out on.

Guest TheManicGibbon

Bug free software? Are you high or something? There's no such thing as bug free software. Especially if it has "beta" in its name.

Do you think that given a developer team with N people all of them should work on solving bugs if say N/3 people can do it in roughly the same time? (Given large enough team adding more people to it would not make them work more efficiently If the size of the problems stays the same ). If your software doesn't have any bugs you didn't ship it early enough.

@TheManicGibbon so is it bloated or light on features? The two are kind of opposites. And you should be happy that it doesn't support flash. Sooner or later it would break anyway because adobe stopped working on it.

Well, only the top end devices (and Blade wink.gif) have ICS at the moment so it would be good to say it worked fast but it doesn't really - the code seems bloated, it runs sluggishly and Flash is a feature I expect on a high end device that doesn't have an "i" at the start. When Adobe stops supporting it it won't just stop working, it just won't be updated. If Chrome for desktop includes Flash as a component, then surely Chrome for Android should at least support it, especially when they know that they're limiting it to run on high end devices.

Guest brookergray

^ I'm pretty sure they didn't just forget it. There must have a reason why they didn't include it. I'm guessing it's either to take sides against flash and help the growth of HTML5 or to get rid of the not so good sandbox that is used for flash on the desktop.