Terrible reception with SF2

Guest james_f

Guest james_f

Does anyone else suffer from unusually bad mobile reception with this phone (in its San Francisco 2 incarnation, in my case)?

I bought one a few days ago. I don't know what reception was like out of the box, since I didn't look - all I did was to turn on USB debugging before immediately unlocking it. With all ROMs that I've tried, I experience unusably bad reception with SIMs from different carriers. In terms of ROMs, I've tried Fish'n'chips RLS4, flibblesan's debranded ROM r2a, and a stock ROM from Sebastian404's repository.

It's not that there's no reception at all. I know (thanks to this forum) that Orange completely blocks some of its phones that it sends out, and that they need to be de-blacklisted before they work at all - this isn't the case for me. There is weak reception right at the top of my house with both Orange and non-Orange SIMs, but all these SIMs give perfect reception everywhere in other phones.

At the moment, the phone is useless to me because the reception is too poor to make or receive calls. I'm not sure that I can take it back, since although I've re-installed a stock ROM, I don't think there's a way to undo the unlocking and truly return it to its original state. Besides, the shop will probably tell me to use Orange's phone-over-wifi SignalBoost app, which is no use to me since I'm not planning to use it on Orange's network. And maybe this is a generic problem with the phone, so a replacement would be no better?

Guest Titas

I haven't had a problem with my TMV but I mainly use it locally & I'm on Tesco (O2). I've got 3 bars on signal at the moment & I'm indoors. There are other apps which claim to boost signal - no idea if they work but there are quite a lot of positive reviews so gotta be worth a try! Fresh Network

Edit: It appeared to boost my signal while it was "re-setting network" but on completion signal strength reverted to 3bars so I'm a bit sceptical ............but then I generally am anyway!

Edited by Titas

Guest james_f

Turns out it must have been a hardware error. Orange kindly replaced the handset (the best customer service I've ever received from a mobile company, I must say), and reception on the replacement is fine both before and after unlocking and flashing ROMs.

Thanks for your suggestion, though, Titas. I did first try that signal strength app you mentioned, and another similar one, but unsurprisingly they appeared to have no effect at all.