Orange San Francisco - Receiving mixed (text) messages

Guest barnzy

Guest barnzy

I have an Orange San Francisco, which I bought about 18 months ago and put the Modaco custom rom on to it - whichever was current at the time. For some time now when I receive messages which are over 1 text long every so often it will have the start of the message that has just been sent to me but will end up with a random end of an old message previously sent by that same person, sometime even messages that have been deleted from my phone... I've googled the problem and only found one other site discussing the issue that numerous people have had but sadly no solution.

Also sometimes the messages simply havent been received, and no it isnt just people not wanting to reply to me :blink: I have seen the messages on the other persons phone as sent!

Anyone else suffering with the mixed message problem or have a solution or even suggested solutions...???

Edited by barnzy

Guest barnzy

Which modaco rom are you using

Under Build number in settings it says -

"MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Orange San Francisco r4"

Is that the one?

I've doubled checked on here and its Android 2.1

Edited by barnzy

• 1 year later...
Guest rowanparker

I am very sorry for bumping a a year old thread. But, I have the same problem and there doesn't seem to be much else I can find on google.

I have a Galaxy Nexus (previously a Desire) and the one friend it happens with has an iPhone of some description. We are both on Orange (is the only link I can think of). It can go months without happening but it's happened twice in a week now.

Did you ever get anywhere with it?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maniac_mouse

I am very sorry for bumping a a year old thread. But, I have the same problem and there doesn't seem to be much else I can find on google.

I have a Galaxy Nexus (previously a Desire) and the one friend it happens with has an iPhone of some description. We are both on Orange (is the only link I can think of). It can go months without happening but it's happened twice in a week now.

Did you ever get anywhere with it?

If your refering to texts never arriving, I seem to remember some froyo roms would kill the sms service to regain memory when it got too low, and sometimes the service wouldnt restart for a time and thus if you recieved a text in that time, the operators (orange or whoever) systems think the sms has been delivered as the phone is detected as being connected to the network, but its never recieved by the non-running sms service on the handset and just vanishes into the ether. Im pretty sure that Google fixed it in gingerbread though. I have certainly never experienced it since upgrading from froyo many moons ago.

I also had the mixed up text thing in an early froyo rom, wiping the cache in clockworkmod sorted it, i guess a database gets corrupted somewhere. It could be connected to the above, maybe the lost sms is logged in a file somewhere and confuses the sms service when it starts up again.

As an aside, if you have a poor signal and the sms cant be delivered, it can take up to 48 hours to be resent, apparently there was never any guarantee in the original spec that it would be delivered instantly, as we now expect.

EDIT: I just reread your post and noted you say it happens on an Iphone as well. In which case i would put the blame at the feet of Orange unless its always the same sender causing the malformed texts (which indicates a problem with the senders handset).

Edited by maniac_mouse