Compiling CM9 (and maybe CM10) for Blade

Guest sej7278

Guest targetbsp

I created a VM for compiling CM9 in a better way than I did my CM7 VM. So in a moment of sheer stupidity I remade my CM7 VM from scratch. If I was going to waste all that time redownloading the source... why didn't I put them in the same VM? :D I'd have saved 10gb of space on the OS and not had to close outlook so I had enough host ram to run both VM's together lol.

Might have to start again, again. :D

Guest targetbsp

you might be right about the 2nd point, certainly as an everyday rom at the moment cfx performs better, but cm9 is where the development is going on.

What's the best way to remove coldfusion from your CM source?

I deleted the 3 folders made here:

mkdir -p ~/coldfusionx/cm9/device/zte/{blade,common}

mkdir -p ~/coldfusionx/cm9/vendor/zte/blade

repo sync'd and redid this:

rsync -av --delete ~/proprietary_vendor_zte/blade/ ~/cm9/vendor/zte/blade/ --exclude='.git*'

I'm amazingly unfamiliar with how repo actually works considering how much I use it for the blade lol

Guest sej7278

I created a VM for compiling CM9 in a better way than I did my CM7 VM. So in a moment of sheer stupidity I remade my CM7 VM from scratch. If I was going to waste all that time redownloading the source... why didn't I put them in the same VM? :D I'd have saved 10gb of space on the OS and not had to close outlook so I had enough host ram to run both VM's together lol.

Might have to start again, again. :D

probably better off having the source on the hardware and mounting it in the vm (using e.g. shared folders) otherwise the vm will just grow massive, and you may get better performance too (of course you really just want to nuke windows on the host and put outlook in the vm!)

and yes, there's nothing more you need to compile cm9/cfx than you needed to compile cm7, so the same vm would have done lol.

Guest asm19

sej7278,

how can I apply your patch of softbuttons?

I did patch -i softbuttons.patch, enter:

can't find file to patch at input line 5

Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?

The text leading up to this was:

--------------------------

|diff --git a/core/res/res/values/config.xml b/core/res/res/values/config.xml

|index 1e73ade..0e45f4c 100644

|--- a/core/res/res/values/config.xml

|+++ b/core/res/res/values/config.xml

--------------------------

File to patch: 

What i am doing wrong? It is the directory i'm getting into evil?

Guest sej7278

What's the best way to remove coldfusion from your CM source?

I deleted the 3 folders made here:

mkdir -p ~/coldfusionx/cm9/device/zte/{blade,common}

mkdir -p ~/coldfusionx/cm9/vendor/zte/blade

repo sync'd and redid this:

rsync -av --delete ~/proprietary_vendor_zte/blade/ ~/cm9/vendor/zte/blade/ --exclude='.git*'

I'm amazingly unfamiliar with how repo actually works considering how much I use it for the blade lol

that should do it i think.

essentially you delete vendor/zte and device/zte, repo sync to fetch tom_g's cm9 ones, and use tom_g's (koush) proprietary_vendor_zte from github instead of tilal's, oh and nuke your out/ directory for sure!

repo is a bit weird, its basically a wrapper around git to make it easier to work with the hundreds of git repo's throughout the source. you can still use git commands for most things (other than sync) and repo has a few things of its own like "forall", which can be useful.

Guest sej7278

sej7278,

how can I apply your patch of softbuttons?

What i am doing wrong? It is the directory i'm getting into evil?

the patch is for cm7, it won't work at all for cm9, the directory paths aren't even the same and the functionality doesn't exist (in the same way at least). and you should use "git apply" anyway.

and as far as vmware goes, i've not used it in years since they screwed up server 2.0, i love virtualbox but not the way it doesn't free up space used by deleted files.

Edited by sej7278

Guest asm19

the patch is for cm7, it won't work at all for cm9, the directory paths aren't even the same and the functionality doesn't exist (in the same way at least). and you should use "git apply" anyway.

and as far as vmware goes, i've not used it in years since they screwed up server 2.0, i love virtualbox but not the way it doesn't free up space used by deleted files.

Yes, this for CM7. I'm trying apply in the CM7 not CM9 :) How do I apply?

Edit: Okay, git apply. Done, thanks

Edited by asm19

Guest ..Abel..

looks like the problem he had the other day lol.

space is a real problem with cm9 though even with 215mb /system, its obviously made for 1gb phones - 2mb /cache is causing flashing problems and tom_g's build uses 20mb more of /system than the build i made today (or coldfusionx).

which files do we need to delete (using adb) to reduce a full gapps down to your mini one - it doesn't look like your flashable zip does that (well it does for a couple of apps)?

i'm even considering taking bootanimation.zip out of the build as i disable it for faster boot anyway, that's 4mb more for /system.....

anyway, what does everyone think of cm9 compared to coldfusionx - is cfx faster or is it just me? for instance the app drawer seems very slow in cm9, and its hard to press buttons.

Cm9 feels.much better to me!

Guest targetbsp

Also, the Cm9 kernel (nor your 15th build - not tried others) does not support LED notifications. I'm putting the kernel from the last one tilal compiled (7th april) into my CFX build. Are there any notable bug fixes or new features since then I'll be missing out on that you're aware of?

I take this back, it seems it just doesn't work after a reboot for a certain amount of time in either kernel. :D

Guest shmizan

sounds funny. targetbsp, what's your current VMWare Player setup? I decided to listen to sej's advice and save the build environment in a Windows dir and use a sharing folder option. right now I'm copying it across. 7 MB/s seems oddly slow but in 50 minutes I should be good to go :D

Guest targetbsp

I'm just recreating it now with CM7 and CM9 in the same VM disk image. It should use around 50gb after compiling both out of an allowed 60gb.

Guest sej7278

sounds funny. targetbsp, what's your current VMWare Player setup? I decided to listen to sej's advice and save the build environment in a Windows dir and use a sharing folder option. right now I'm copying it across. 7 MB/s seems oddly slow but in 50 minutes I should be good to go :D

nooooooooo. you can't use a windows filesystem for storing the sourcecode, its got to be case-sensitive for a start. i meant use the host assuming the host is running linux/macosx.

http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

Edited by sej7278

Guest shmizan

haha damn, wish I could do that. and yeah I canceled it anyway since it gave me "file name too long" errors.

targetbs, by recreating, do you mean you reinstall ubuntu on a bigger partition now?

Guest targetbsp

Yeah. I had a 30gb CM7 and a 40gb CM9 and then wondered why they were separate, needing 10gb of OS each and using tons more ram than necessary if I tried to use both at the same time! So now I'm re-installing fresh onto a 60gb image. Ubuntu is installed with all the packages needed for compiling CM and the CM9 source is downloading. Then I'll set that compiling whilst downloading the CM7 source.

Guest asm19

Someone tested the app sensor? The Blade Parts appears broken for me and gives force close. This in CM9.

Can anyone confirm this? But he seems to be well calibrated default.

Guest sej7278

Yeah. I had a 30gb CM7 and a 40gb CM9 and then wondered why they were separate, needing 10gb of OS each and using tons more ram than necessary if I tried to use both at the same time! So now I'm re-installing fresh onto a 60gb image. Ubuntu is installed with all the packages needed for compiling CM and the CM9 source is downloading. Then I'll set that compiling whilst downloading the CM7 source.

can't you copy the source from one vm to another - gotta be quicker than downloading 30gb from github lol.

Guest sej7278

Can anyone confirm this? But he seems to be well calibrated default.

there is no blade parts app in cm9 its integrated into the settings app. on coldfusionx there's a separate app.

Guest targetbsp

Yeah. I thought of that after deleting my VM's. It's going badly as I also discovered my CFX had a bug immediately after deleting the VM lol. I recovered that by scrounging files from a prior CM9 build I made, seeing as how I'm still not in a position to recompile it!

Getting fibre internet soon. Can't wait!

Guest asm19

there is no blade parts app in cm9 its integrated into the settings app. on coldfusionx there's a separate app.

Humm, but we have the setup menu under Settings -> Advanced.