Compiling CM9 (and maybe CM10) for Blade

Guest sej7278

Guest sej7278

should THIS fix the BladeParts issue? it's under review

apparently so, i'm going to make a test build later.

i can't reproduce the black screen issue at the moment, i'm wondering if it was just a bad build on the 23rd, as my 24th build seems fine.

Guest shmizan

my build was from the 24th and still I have no screen on call. I'll do a new build to see if it's fixed and also use the new bladeparts fix.

Guest sej7278

my build was from the 24th and still I have no screen on call. I'll do a new build to see if it's fixed and also use the new bladeparts fix.

ok cool. i've just made a build and bladeparts works with that patch, and i don't have the black screen issue, so not sure what's going on really.

Guest shmizan

just made one myself, bladeparts works with the patch, but screen is not going on for me when I get a call. strange thing is the name of my build: update-cm-9-20120424-SNAPSHOT-blade-signed even though today is 25th, I don't know why, I'm trying a make installclean and rebuilding.

Edited by shmizan

Guest sej7278

just made one myself, bladeparts works with the patch, but screen is not going on for me when I get a call. strange thing is the name of my build: update-cm-9-20120424-SNAPSHOT-blade-signed even though today is 25th, I don't know why, I'm trying a make installclean and rebuilding.

make installclean is not 100% it doesn't cover environment variables (and it didn't used to delete the kernel binary, not sure what it does now we compile it), really you should delete the out/ directory, but then its a 50min rebuild......

did recalibration work for you - i found i had to delete the /data/misc/prox_data.txt file and reboot, essentially reverting to defaults to get it to work, so far it seems ok.

Guest shmizan

I'll delete the out folder then. it will be longer than 50 min for me since I'm on VM (and worse specs) but the question is - is it worth it? is make installclean not enough?

well recalibrating worked for 1 time (just like you said in previous page) and now it's not working anymore. 

did as you said you did and restored proximity defaults (from bladeparts menu) - still no go.

Edited by shmizan

Guest sej7278

I'll delete the out folder then. it will be longer for me since I'm on VM but the question is - is it worth it? is make installclean not enough?

well recalibrating worked for 1 time (just like you said in previous page) and now it's not working anymore.

i wouldn't bother for a test build really, it just means the date string will be wrong.

calibration is definitely iffy. i put a comment on github - you did reboot after calibrating as it doesn't work instantly?

Edited by sej7278

Guest shmizan

I'm not sure how much of a proximity issue it is. I've tried both default and recalibrated values, both after reboots and it's a black screen on call. could it be something else? I emptied the out folder and making a new build. I'll completely wipe my system and try a fresh one. will take some time though.. 

edit: 2 hours and still building.. never again shall I delete the out folder!! :lol:

Edited by shmizan

Guest sej7278

I'm not sure how much of a proximity issue it is. I've tried both default and recalibrated values, both after reboots and it's a black screen on call. could it be something else?

I emptied the out folder and making a new build. I'll completely wipe my system and try a fresh one. will take some time though..

i don't know what else it could be, but as proximity to (your head) works perfecting during a call all the time, it seems unlikely its a proximity issue that occurs just when the phone is ringing.

the bladeparts patch got merged, as did the same app for v9's.

Guest shmizan

i don't know what else it could be, but as proximity to (your head) works perfecting during a call all the time, it seems unlikely its a proximity issue that occurs just when the phone is ringing.

the bladeparts patch got merged, as did the same app for v9's.

exactly because of that I don't imagine it's a proximity issue. it's something else and it's definitely there since we both had it. still not sure how YOU fixed it though. still building the new one, so can't test it yet.

Guest sej7278

exactly because of that I don't imagine it's a proximity issue. it's something else and it's definitely there since we both had it. still not sure how YOU fixed it though. still building the new one, so can't test it yet.

tom_g just replied that he's managed to reproduce the issue, it seems sometimes the /data/misc/prox_data.txt file isn't being read at all, so the default values are just read in on reboot.

he has managed to get his phone working by resetting to defaults, then recalibrating then rebooting, essentially writing the file twice i guess......?

Guest shmizan

reproduce the values not being saved - but that's okay they last for me after reboots. can he reproduce the screen not going on when a call arrives - that's the big problem. I'm nearing the end of the build process so I can test the 100% pure build after I completely wipe and all, but meanwhile I tested the build I made after the make installclean with full wipe and it's still there. could you test your build with full wipe?

Guest shmizan

so wrote he can't reproduce the problem, and meanwhile I made a new build after deleting the out folder - problem persists. on call the screen doesn't go on. as if the device can't be taken out of sleep mode. if it wasn't still sleeping while ringing, I could click HW buttons and turn on the screen but it doesn't work.

could you test your build with full wipe? and upload it somewhere so I can test too? we need someone else to say if they get it or not.

Guest asm19

Anyone else had this error compiling a build? To me is giving me error when compiling the kernel:

make[3]: *** [scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o] Error 4

make[2]: *** [cyanogen_blade_defconfig] Error 2

make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/asm/cm9/kernel/zte/zte-kernel-msm7x27'

make: *** [/home/asm/cm9/out/target/product/blade/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/.config] Error 2

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Guest sm4tik

anyway, what is the best way to do it? offline changes to files that I will have to recopy after every repo sync, or maybe do a patch to apply each time? or is the best (if there's a way) to put it on github and apply before each build?

thanks! 

Create a new branch to a particular project.

$ repo start my_branch path/to/project
After you've made your changes, you need to commit them.
$ git add changed.file1 changed.file2 new.file1

$ git commit -m "Your commit message"

Next time you sync your repo, your changes will be automatically applied on top of the changes. This is how I do it. The important thing is to create the branch with repo (not git) or otherwise syncing your branch with latest changes from upstream will fail.

And here's something to read to get a better picture

http://source.android.com/source/version-control.html

Edited by sm4tik

Guest shmizan

sm4tik, thanks a lot for your answer. so let me get it straight by using an example, and excuse my ignorance in this matter.

I want to change my language's default value for "am" and "pm" to "am","pm" instead of what's there.

the file is in "/home/shmizan/cm9/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values-iw/" and is called "donottranslate-cldr.xml" (don't know why it's called that, the only place I found the am pm strings were there).

so I did "cd cm9" (that's where the repo is initialized) and then:

repo start AmPmFix /home/shmizan/cm9/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values-iw/
is that okay? now I created a folder "AmPmFix" outside cm9 folder to store the changed files that I want to get "injected" now I wanna do
git add /home/AmPmFix/donottranslate-cldr.xml
and that gave me
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
also this is the situation:
shmizan@ubuntu:~/cm9$ repo status

project device/zte/blade/           			(*** NO BRANCH ***)

-m 	cm.mk

-- 	mini.patch

project frameworks/base/                        branch AmPmFix

what did I do wrong?

Guest sm4tik

@shmizan

Sorry, my post was a bit incomplete. I'll be more precise using your wanted mod as an example.

Cd into your cm9 source dir

$ cd ~/cm9
Create your branch for desired project
$ repo start my_branch frameworks/base[/code]

(note that you dont need to type the full path, just the base directory for the project, in your case "framework/base")

Cd into the base directory of the project you're about to edit

[code]$ cd frameworks/base[/code]
Make your changes
[code]$ your_editor core/res/res/values-iw/donottranslate-cldr.xml[/code]
Now that you're "inside" the project tree (frameworks/base), you can stage the file you're about to commit
[code]$ git add core/res/res/values-iw/donottranslate-cldr.xml[/code]
and commit the change
[CODE]$ git commit -m "Fix am/pm for Hebrew"[/code]

So basically, I just forgot to say you need to make the change to the actual file in it's actual place and commit the change while your inside the project which the file belongs to. I hope this clears things up for you!

Edited by sm4tik

Guest shmizan

thanks so much!

1 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

does it mean that if in future time, someone will update the file in the CM repository (let's say - adding more lines), and I will do "repo sync" I'll get the NEW file and it will make changes on top of it? edit: seem so! after repo sync:

project frameworks/base/

First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...

Applying: Fix am/pm for Hebrew

once again, thank you!

what about the recent things? sej? targetbsp? anyone here? :ph34r:

Edited by shmizan

Guest shmizan

in which version of CFX would you expect it to be? I'll check it. though I don't believe it was in any version of it, since no one has mentioned it in the CFX thread.

TomG should fully wipe and get it too! and so should you. please do try or give me your build so I will test myself..

we need to bring this to Tom's attention ASAP or we'll have trouble later!

for some reason I can't post comments on the github where you mentioned this to TomG. do you know why?

Edited by shmizan

Guest sej7278

for some reason I can't post comments on the github where you mentioned this to TomG. do you know why?

dunno, are you using the comment box at the bottom of the page? they're only (partially) coming via email, not on the site itself.

Guest shmizan

yeah using the comment box at the bottom of the page. how else can I post comments?

I wonder if tilal has managed to overcome this, I asked in his thread twice but he ignored my question :unsure: