The hacking / rooting thread [update: ROOTED!]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I thought i'd start a thread about hacking / rooting.

So far I can confirm that no existing kernel exploits work. I am able to boot into recovery with 'adb reboot recovery', which gives you non root ADB access, but I cannot reboot into bootloader not recovery using key combinations.

I will update here as I progress... if anyone else is working on it also share here!

I have managed to dump the init scripts from /, so i'm combing those for potential vulnerabilities.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I can has root? Yes! ;)

It'll take a little while to package up as I don't really want to give the game away to Huawei on how it works but... job done. :)

P

g300rooted.jpg

Guest tilal6991

I can has root? Yes! ;)

It'll take a little while to package up as I don't really want to give the game away to Huawei on how it works but... job done. :)

P

You always come through Paul! Well done and thanks :P

Guest stevecross

Awesome work there, now all we need is an overclockable kernel and all the crap ripped out :D

Well done Sir, I have now ordered mine.

steve

Guest Simon O

Don't understand why anyone would need to overclock this device unless you are after bragging rights, which is silly since the fact that it's a Huawei would ruin any attempt to brag to your friends ;)

The CPU has enough grunt for most things since it's a 1GHz Cortex A5 ARM7 chip. I would rather see a fully stock Android 4 ROM for the device with a stock kernel providing the best performance & battery life combination.

Guest Davidoff59

will root negate the need to network unlock, or will it help with the network unlock?

Great job Paul. Did it prove difficult to root?

Guest PaulOBrien

will root negate the need to network unlock, or will it help with the network unlock?

Great job Paul. Did it prove difficult to root?

It's completely separate... But it might help finding an unofficial unlock... Not something I'll be doing though.

P

Guest toge64

Don't understand why anyone would need to overclock this device unless you are after bragging rights, which is silly since the fact that it's a Huawei would ruin any attempt to brag to your friends ;)

The CPU has enough grunt for most things since it's a 1GHz Cortex A5 ARM7 chip. I would rather see a fully stock Android 4 ROM for the device with a stock kernel providing the best performance & battery life combination.

OC it so the web browser performs better? Not an expert but i'll throw it out there anyway :)

Guest Frankish

It would be nice once the root is released to just remove the Vodafone stuff and see how the stock rom runs. I'm so tempted to get one... Ona side note looking at that pic... Is the led rgb? Probably no way of actually knowing?