No Data over open Wifi hotspots

Guest Christian Edwards

Guest Christian Edwards

My wife has had this phone for a couple of weeks and loves it but is having trouble when connecting over Wifi.

It seems only to be a problem with open wifi networks as it's fine at home.

The phone says its connected and has an ip address, I can get to the router login page but I can't get onto the internet.

She says it's not worked at a couple of Cafe's and Hotels but also open networks in friends homes too.

She's on the stock Rom with no mods or rooting, anyone else have this problem?

Guest dbaseii

My wife has had this phone for a couple of weeks and loves it but is having trouble when connecting over Wifi.

The phone says its connected and has an ip address, I can get to the router login page but I can't get onto the internet.

She says it's not worked at a couple of Cafe's and Hotels but also open networks in friends homes too.

Sounds like a DNS issue. Make sure that "Use static ip" is not ticked and that the dns entries are blank.

You can get to these settings by going into the wifi settings then press the menu button and selecting advanced.

Hope this helps

Guest FrownBreaker

Not sure I understand what you are saying here..

The first part says your wife cannot access open WiFi in some locations. OK that I get..

Then you say...I can get to the router login page but I can't get onto the internet.

But it is not clear at which location this happens or which router's login page you see?

Just because the WiFi access point is open, it does not mean you can have free or anonymous access. Many hotels etc. will have open APs that server a landing page where you can enter some credentials or pay by credit card. No if you connect to such an open WiFi AP and do not open a browser but instead try and check your email via an app the connection will fail in a manner consistent with parts of your description, Perhaps this is what is happening? Would be worth asking the Mrs to open a browser next time she has "connected" to the AP and see if she gets a landing page instead of the stock Vodafone landing page that the stock ROM uses.

Guest Christian Edwards

Ok thanks I see, I'll check for DNS but I can't imagine these are set.

Just too clarify, it connects to Wifi but can't get internet data.

So the phone has an ip address and can go to the router login page but not to any online webpage.