The Essential Applications

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Hi,

I'm going to attempt to put together a list of applications which I would say are essential if you have a rooted device, feel free to add your own suggestions and we'll try and build something relatively large to help everyone out.

Superuser isn't included in this list, but you all know Superuser is probably the greatest app known to Android.

1- Titanium Backup

This is your best friend when it comes to having a rooted device; You can use this to back up your settings and applications which is useful for when you're updating a custom ROM so you can get back up and running within an hour without having to do all your settings and downloading applications again. It's also excellent as it includes many features such a moving any application to your SD card and uninstalling any application- including system apps.

2- Root Explorer

Great application which allows you to explore all parts of your devices memory (Internal and external), extremely useful and a must have for any rooted user.

3- Quick Boot

This may not be considered to be on many peoples lists of essential apps but for me it's a must have, it allows you to quickly reboot your phone to recovery or bootloader as well as turn your device off with on simple tap of a button. Just a time saver I guess but I find it useful.

4- AdFree

As most of you are aware, many apps in the market have pesky ads which do nothing but infuriate you, this simple application updates your host file and blocks ads from appearing. One of the main reasons I rooted by first Android was purely to get rid of ads so this definitely deserves a download!

5- Screenshot ER (Or any other screenshot app)

Not all ROM's come with a built in screenshot method so it's useful to download an app such as Screenshot ER, it does exactly what you would expect.

Guest fr0do

Good list :)

I prefer ES File Explorer to Root Explorer as

a. it does write access to phone memory

& b. it's free :)

I like the way it looks too. And it handles zips well.

Edited by fr0do

Guest welshrage

i use rom toolbox pro (formerly liberty toolbox) by jrummy... root explorer,build prop tweaks, app manager, rom manager and ad blocker all in one

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

A suggestion, make the name of each app into a link to the page on Google Play for that app.

Also, couple more for you...

Rom Manager (Free and Premium)

CPU Spy

I also prefer Adaway to AdFree

App2SD (Free and Pro)

Calculations 4.0 Pro - (Top notch calculator and converter - distances, etc)

ChromeMarks (Lite and Normal) - Since we can't have the Chrome on Android with sync etc, this will do instead, you'll see it's also listed in your sync settings beside your contacts, etc.

EpocCam - Use your phone as a wireless webcam :)

FTPDroid (Normal and Pro) - Access your sdcard, using ftp software, without even having to plug your phone in.

GMail - Now that it isn't included by default of course for some bizarre reason known only in the noggins at Google.

LauncherPro (Normal and Plus) - My favourite launcher so I have to stick it here.

Market Update Helper - For people who use Titanium Backup, Not exactly sure what it does, it's supposed to be superhelpful but someone will probably tell us.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest De@n

AutoStarts - Keep control over your phone: See what applications do behind your back. Shows you what apps run on phone startup, and what other events trigger in the background. Root users can disable unwanted autostarts and speed up their phone boot.

Guest misodoctakleidist

Good list :)

I prefer ES File Explorer to Root Explorer as

a. it does write access to phone memory

& b. it's free :)

I like the way it looks too. And it handles zips well.

I agree.

I would also mention Tasker as a good root app.