Replacement Glass / Screen

Guest Christian Edwards

Guest Christian Edwards

My Wife has smashed the screen on her G300.

No replacements available yet on eBay & Google not throwing up anything.

Anyone got any ideas where else I could look?

Guest dbaseii

My Wife has smashed the screen on her G300.

No replacements available yet on eBay & Google not throwing up anything.

Anyone got any ideas where else I could look?

Already!

Guest FlatPackPete

Wow....just wow. What happened, did she slip with her angle grinder :P

I can't find a thing, so I think the only option is for her to go into the vodafone shop and see how much it will cost for them to fix it.

Guest Christian Edwards

I know, I'm a right clumsy oaf and have dropped my Xperia Play loads of times but the screen has never smashed.

Gonna claim on my credit card insurance, which still mean we have to get a repair quote of Vodafone so I'll keep you posted.

Guest Christian Edwards

The Vodafone helpline quoted us £60 to replace the screen, which I should be able to get back from my credit card company.

Phew, still can't imagine it's going to be sorted anytime soon, maybe we'll have it back in time for ICS.

Guest FlatPackPete

That was more then I was expecting, but it's good to know if anyone else needs this info.

I suppose until they start appearing on ebay it's hard to gage the real cost, I reckon that makes it £40 for the screen and £20 for labour.

Still cheaper then a iPhone4 screen :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Christian Edwards

After lots of tooing and froing we received a cheque for £45 from the insurance company.

I don't know why they took £15 off the claim but they did.

Sadly Vodafone now want £100 to replace the screen so I'm doubly peed off.

Guest Christian Edwards

There are now some screen on eBay for £20, so I'm thinking of doing the repair myself.

I've had a trial run of taking it apart.

I removed the two easy to find torx screws then found another 4 under the white top and bottom edges but....

The screen still won't come apart it's free in the middle with 4 tabs on the side unhooked but both top and bottom are holding fast.

I've not changed a screen before anyone taken there's apart?

Guest FlatPackPete

After lots of tooing and froing we received a cheque for £45 from the insurance company.

I don't know why they took £15 off the claim but they did.

Sadly Vodafone now want £100 to replace the screen so I'm doubly peed off.

Yeah they do that, it'll be £10 to process your claim and £5 to send you a cheque, blood sucking a*****es

£100 for a new screen?, So in other words they want to throw your phone in the bin and give you a new one :blink:

I'd get another and keep the old one for spares personally, or get her a Motorola defy on Ebay ;)

Guest FlatPackPete

There are now some screen on eBay for £20, so I'm thinking of doing the repair myself.

I've had a trial run of taking it apart.

I removed the two easy to find torx screws then found another 4 under the white top and bottom edges but....

The screen still won't come apart it's free in the middle with 4 tabs on the side unhooked but both top and bottom are holding fast.

I've not changed a screen before anyone taken there's apart?

Look at the teardown from the FCC here, See if some of these photos help

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2012/02/27/huaweis-ascend-g300-android-smartphone-hits-the-fcc-gets-torndown/

Guest gsf600y

Buy a new G300

Then look at it as if you've paid £45 for a screen, £40 for a spare battery (useful for on the move), £10 for a spare battery cover, £5 for a spare charger.

Guest eLJay

I'd say get her the tough cased defy instead, she may drop it again and then you will have to start over again getting a screen replacement and claiming on insurance.