• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Android logo permanently fills screen

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi guys :)

Can you please help me with advise or point me in the right direction?

About 8 months ago, I bought my brand new rooted Gen 1 Orange San Francisco installed with Swedish Spring from eBay. It worked perfectly fine for a few weeks, then I found that the individual contact ringtones that I had set up stopped working & the phone automatically used the default ringtone. This didn't really bother me, I took it as just a small niggle for such an amazingly feature rich cheap mobile. Then four or five months ago, intermittently, it started soft resetting when I was viewing images in the Album. Then it started resetting when I viewed images online, these resets became increasingly frequent, to the point where I was expecting a reset everytime I viewed an image. Then recently, it started resetting with no real pattern, it could be when I was setting a reminder or entering a note.

I did a bit of research to see if anybody had the same problem & if there was a solution, but to no avail. Being an IT Consultant & therefore presuming it would not be a difficult task, I decided that it was time to re-flash the ROM, so I spent two days backing up everything to my SD Card manually, as I don't trust automatic procedures when all of what I do is stored on the phone. My first problem was that I could not find a working link for Swedish Spring, or any working links for highly recommended ROMs for Gen 1 models for that matter. So, the friend who recommended the phone & who also had successfully installed ROMs to a number of Gen 1 San Francisco's, gave me the ROM he used, which was Japanese Jellyfish RLS9.

Never having carried out the procedure before my friend suggested that in part, I use this tutorial:

Upon completion of this tutorial I got an Android logo filling the screen. I waited for about forty minutes before deciding that it was a failed install, so removed & reinserted the battery & rebooted. Now, pressing the power button always shows the Android logo filling the screen with no change. Incidentally, I can get into ClockworkMod recovery.

In desperation I have spoken to these guys:

who have told me that the phone is recoverable but they need all the details of the original rooting procedure. I could try to contact the guy I bought the phone from & see if he will give me these details, but I'm loathe to spend money on a solution that I may be able to carry out myself.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys can give as regards getting my phone, which I rely on heavily, up and running again.

Thank you in advance.

Just a quick update... the above situation has now been remedied thanks to a lot of other patient & knowledgeable forum members :D Thankyou guys ;)

Edited by Jon1971