about CWM (or other recovery) and charging from flat

Guest Smiff2

Guest Smiff2

some Huawei phones (like the little u8510 i have) have a weird dual-boot system where if you plug them into mains when they're off, rather than booting normally they go into a basic charge mode where only a battery bar is displayed. Not sure what this achieves exactly. I may have the details wrong.

2 questions please:

1) can this mode be disabled?

2) if you have CWM installed will it boot into CWM (i do not want this), the charge mode or boot as normal?

read some mention of this being an issue and didn't see an answer, thought it was important if phone is for non- technical user, they could end up doing Bad Things by mistake.

I know i could test this but the phone has been so good with battery life it hasn't happened yet :)

Guest Pondlife

Well you'd only have to turn it off rather than wait for battery to run out, but it did boot into cwm when that was on phone here, not tested it on the other recovery, (touch screen one that I can't recall name of)

Originally before cwm it did go as you described to battery only screen unless switched on.

Couldn't they just switch the phone on once plugged in?

Guest Smiff2

not sure what you mean.. if phone is flat, they have to plug it in first, you're saying it will boot CWM. then they could break it with CWM.

Guest Smiff2

yeah this is bad.. can anything be done about this? if i'd realized that i might have not installed CWM. anyway to disable/remove CWM without affecting current ROM, or get CWM to automatically reboot e.g. unless some key is held?

Guest Pondlife

Well it's clear that I shouldn't post at gone half one in the morning, but is it that big a deal, just select reboot which is default position on cwm.

Guest Smiff2

a big deal if the phone is for a kid or an old person who can't even read the CWM text or be trusted not to mess up.

thanks will consider flashing stock recovery.. i presume i can get CWM reinstalled when i need to the same way it was installed originally.. i mean you can switch between recovery images without affecting anything else, or no?

Guest RussellS

a big deal if the phone is for a kid or an old person who can't even read the CWM text or be trusted not to mess up.

thanks will consider flashing stock recovery.. i presume i can get CWM reinstalled when i need to the same way it was installed originally.. i mean you can switch between recovery images without affecting anything else, or no?

I do agree with you there. This should not really be the default behaviour. Personally it doesn't bother me on my phone but if it was my wife's or the kids phone that would be a different matter.