The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest brit07

If you want to go to hardware hacks, we can flash the flash directly and overwrite the bootloader easily. The point is, it's not practical.

i know but it may be the only way

Guest domenico lamberti

would a JTAG flash, overwrite the bootloader once, or could you permanently override it then install a custom recovery etc?

Guest rickywyatt

it would over wirte the bootloader but you would still need the

engineering bootloader to flash the you would be able to flash an unsigned recovery and boot

Guest shootomanUK

would a JTAG flash, overwrite the bootloader once, or could you permanently override it then install a custom recovery etc?

Permananent

Guest domenico lamberti

awesome, so if a JTAG flash would be possible, a person would be able to offer it as a service, i mean i cant do it, but anyone with any enough knowledge, in this economy could make a mint :P

Guest shootomanUK

awesome, so if a JTAG flash would be possible, a person would be able to offer it as a service, i mean i cant do it, but anyone with any enough knowledge, in this economy could make a mint :P

For someone to get all the jtag hardware required would cost a fortune, and then they would have to have the experience required to use it.

Guest ben1066

Wrong, JTAG hardware costs very little. You can get a basic JTAG adaptor for £30, or even less if you have a parallel port. The issue is finding the points on the PCB, it's unlikely there is a JTAG header.

Guest domenico lamberti

so we just need someone brave enough to take on apart (or someone with a bricked one) to find the headers if there are any

Guest shootomanUK

Wrong, JTAG hardware costs very little. You can get a basic JTAG adaptor for £30, or even less if you have a parallel port. The issue is finding the points on the PCB, it's unlikely there is a JTAG header.

sorry was looking at the wind river intel jtag debugger and i wouldnt fancy paying for it

Guest ben1066

sorry was looking at the wind river intel jtag debugger and i wouldnt fancy paying for it

Ah right yea. The debugger is likely expensive, JTAG itself is open however and the flashing part is fairly standard. Any old JTAG will do for that.

Guest shootomanUK

Ah right yea. The debugger is likely expensive, JTAG itself is open however and the flashing part is fairly standard. Any old JTAG will do for that.

so did you get a san diego then or do you plan on getting one ?

:D

Guest domenico lamberti

i'll tell you something, though it might not be fun for us at all, you have to give it to these guys for the level of encryption etc, this thing is a bitch to crack

Guest fraxos

Somehow I get the feeling that all this talk of an unlocked bootloader and asking them if they could included root access made them look twice at their current ROM and go back to the drawing board so they could close any loopholes...

Guest rickywyatt

If you ask me the xolo 2.3.7 rom don't even give you access to data/local/tmp with the orange rom I had access to /data/local/tmp and /data/fota

Guest shootomanUK

can anyone with a computer type this

adb shell

adb shell mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak

And tell me what it says

Hi mate i just tried "adb shell mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak"

and it says permission denied on my stock osd

Guest rickywyatt

Hi mate i just tried "adb shell mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak"

and it says permission denied on my stock osd

thanks for trying