£100 budget for used phone so which Android phone would you recommend ?

Guest haventgotaclue

Guest haventgotaclue

Bearing in mind I'm a complete novice when it comes to phones and Android is a whole new world to me. I need to renew my PAYG sim anyway so I'd like something which is reasonably simple to use, unlocked, unbloated but comes with a decent MP3 player as I need to replace my broken one.

I've been recommended the rooted ZTE Blade (in its various forms) but is that it or could something else be out there to rival it ?

Thank you

Guest kyan31

Get the Huawei ascend G300. It is miles ahead compared to the zte blade and it is oly 100. It has a forum on modaco and can be rooted and unlocked, there are also a few custom roms out and in development for it.

Specs:

1GHz proccessor armv7

512mb ram 2.05GB rom

32GB expandable memory card

4 inch capacative screen

5mp camera and flash with auto focus.

And it has android gingerbread with ICS to follow.

Guest haventgotaclue

"And it has android gingerbread with ICS to follow"

That means almost nothing to me kyan, remember I am the original newbie :wacko: .

I'm reading good stuff about an Android mod http://www.cyanogenmod.com/ would that work with the G300 or is it not necessary ?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nvkid909

That means almost nothing to me kyan, remember I am the original newbie :wacko: .

I'm reading good stuff about an Android mod http://www.cyanogenmod.com/ would that work with the G300 or is it not necessary ?

Thanks

Cyanogenmod is Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich, but for phones that no longer get the updates, in particular, phones that are still on Froyo. The G300 has gingerbread & will get ICS, so no need to go for Cyanogenmod. You need to be rooted & have recovery installed to install this cyanogenmod anyways.

Guest Mtman1

Cyanogenmod is Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich, but for phones that no longer get the updates, in particular, phones that are still on Froyo. The G300 has gingerbread & will get ICS, so no need to go for Cyanogenmod. You need to be rooted & have recovery installed to install this cyanogenmod anyways.

Ermm, cyanogenmod is a highly customisable rom for many devices, and that's why people use it. It is also faster and nicer (in most cases). The g300 does not have official support, however dazz and tilal have ported cm9 (the ics one) to the g300, but it has a couple of bugs. Cm7 (gingerbread) has not been ported yet.

Guest nvkid909

Ermm, cyanogenmod is a highly customisable rom for many devices, and that's why people use it. It is also faster and nicer (in most cases). The g300 does not have official support, however dazz and tilal have ported cm9 (the ics one) to the g300, but it has a couple of bugs. Cm7 (gingerbread) has not been ported yet.

I know, I have it

Thanks

I read that perhaps the OP is unaware that cyanogenmod are based on gingerbread or Ice cream sandwich. The G300 has gingerbread & will get ICS update (probably).

Maybe you should have pointed out that getting cyanogenmod requires root & install of recovery, instead of trolling. Yeah CM7 & 9 are better versions of GB & ICS, but did you read the OP stating they're new to this?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheManicGibbon

The G300 would be the phone to go for. To clear things up and put them super simple for the OP, the G300 ships with Gingerbread but there's an official update to ICS coming shortly. I see that you already know the difference between ICS and Gingerbread.

Cyanogenmod is a very popular version of Android available in two distinct versions: CM7 (Gingerbread) and CM9 (ICS). Cyanogenmod, and other custom ROMs (as non official versions of Android are known) require you to root the phone, and then install a custom recovery to install them. Rooting gives you "superuser" access to the device, essentially allowing you to do anything on it. A custom recovery is needed to install the new, custom version of Android instead of the one that came on the phone.

Custom ROMs give better performance and more customisation options. There will be many available on MoDaCo and lots of help too, so make sure and ask if you're not sure about something. Hope this helps!