[ROM][ZTE Skate] Paranoid Android - CM9 - Tablet UI (15/12/2012)

Guest C3C0

Guest Nofan Tasi

Hi all and @C3C0

Thanks for the all nice work and the good advice.

I am not complainig, I just thought I should tell:

Previously I ran:

cm-9.0.0-20120814-skate-C3C0.zip

+

gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

and

pa_skate-1.6a-07SEP2012-C3C0.zip

+

gapps-ics-20120511-trimmed.zip

which were rock solid stable.

Now I run (in non hybrid mode):

pa_skate-1.6a-25SEP2012-C3C0.zip

+

gapps-ics-20120511-trimmed.zip

+

update-pa_skate-1.6a-20120927.zip

and I experience regular paranoid restarts (no kernel restart). I lowered max CPU speed from 864 to 844, no improvement.

I try 787 now ...

Have a nice day

Exactly the same problem, trying same option. I'll tell you later.

EDIT: And exactly the sames problems now (fresh install).

Edited by xr529

Hmm. Strange.

Anyway I turned off hybrid mode, too and will use it like that for some time to see if I can reproduce...

I'm @ 864MHz as always.

Logcat of crash would be useful, though ...

Also... what launcher do you use?

Edited by C3C0

Hmm. Strange.

Anyway I turned off hybrid mode, too and will use it like that for some time to see if I can reproduce...

I'm @ 864MHz as always.

Logcat of crash would be useful, though ...

Also... what launcher do you use?

At the moment I´m using sslauncher.

Actually, I have 2 problems:

1. Sometimes the apps are stopping, several message errors. Even the status bar disappears. Finally, I have to reboot manually the phone.

2. The phone restarts without notice.

Logcat attached.

EDIT: Maybe not the best logcat, I had "just" a restart

logcat-1349126089783.zip

Edited by xr529

Guest Nofan Tasi

Hi C3C0 just FYI

Done fresh install with -total- wipe (/data /cache /system /data/sdext2).

... reinstalling/configuring a few apps now (I had 66 apps)

- link2sd

- app2sd pro

- apex launcher pro

- glasklart apex theme

- titanium backup pro

- es file explorer

- quicker

- easy task killer

- easy battery saver

- easy app manager

- bbc news

linked all app dex lib to sd ext partition

seeing GUI restarts again...

perhaps apex launcher issue ? or link2sd related ?

I run same GUI on Galaxy SII (but no link2sd there)

logcat.out.gz

Edited by Nofan Tasi

I'm trying but I couldn't reproduce crashes. Then I installed easy task killer and after pressing "optimize" for couple of times and then tried to launch app it finally rebooted.

At first place you should avoid using task killers because they are too aggresive (according to logcat) and can cause system stability issues. Android has its own

lowmemorykiller that can handle low memory conditions pretty well itself so there's no need to use 3rd party ones. Sometimes they can do more harm than good.

So please, uninstall any memory managers, task killers, ... to see if it will get better.

Guest Nofan Tasi

@C3C0

Thanks so much for looking into issue. I removed all app/mem optimizers.

As for link2sd, as said, I link all app, dex and lib files (and I don't "move to SD"). I notice after reboot I must relink libraries, but that has been so before.

I also increased max CPU speed back to 864MHz.

Tonight I will reinstall more (regular) apps. If issue remains, I will uninstall apex theme, and, if no improvement, uninstall apex altogether.

Which launcher (if any other than trebuchet) do you use/recommend?

PS: note that, until now, I have never had issues with mentioned apps.

Have a nice day

I prefer Nova launcher.

While looking into logcats I found out that there's a problem at system low level UI library where code responsible for creating communication channels between activityManager and activities resides...

It uses shared memory file descriptors. I couldn't find a reason of system not being able to initiate communication channel. Looks like descriptors or other resources not being released correctly before activitymanager tries to reinstantiate activity. Or maybe total number of descriptors that system allow is exceeded. I don't have a clue. But the thing is that it doesn't happen for me. Would be interesting to find out what causes this. But at this moment it is beyond my understanding...

Here is the library code which is where problem that leads to crash occurs. (openInputChannelPair() method)

https://github.com/C3C0/android_frameworks_base/blob/ics/libs/ui/InputTransport.cpp

After some additional investigation I have a feeling you are running out of available system file descriptors.

Can you do as root from terminal emulator: cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

and post the output?

Guest Nofan Tasi

Hi C3C0

I guess one day I should try Nova as well ...

as for system file descriptors:

root@android:/ # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

3257 0 42271

root@android:/ # cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max

Thanks!

Guest utternoob

What about themes. Do you use one? They are also known to cause instability.

I've noticed that themes force close system UI. It's nothing major, just means no theme engine use

After some additional investigation I have a feeling you are running out of available system file descriptors.

Can you do as root from terminal emulator: cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

and post the output?

Hi mate, thanks for your advices.

At the moment I'm not using any theme and I still have restarts and some apps stopping. Besides this, I'm not using taks killers or anything like that and using the same apps I used to install in my phone with other ROMs (Skatie, Mokee, CM9 and now Paranod Android), nothing special:

- sslauncher

- link2SD

- k9 mail

- instagram

- ..etc

About the command: cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

: 6241 0 42271

I attach a new logcat with a fatal error included.

Thank you so much mate :)

logcat-1349193249331.zip

Btw. I found a bug in the latest version that was probably brought by new "Hybrid mode" switch.

"List of apps" unde Paranoid settings won't open anymore...

Regarding your logcat... "TransactionTooLarge" exception. I came across this several times while searching on the Internet.

There is a lot of users having troubles with this while view is being constructed for launched application.

I suspect this could be something general inside ICS sources. I don't know if I will be able to do anything about it. I will try, though

Regarding your logcat... "TransactionTooLarge" exception. I came across this several times while searching on the Internet.

There is a lot of users having troubles with this while view is being constructed for launched application.

I suspect this could be something general inside ICS sources. I don't know if I will be able to do anything about it. I will try, though

Interesting. I'll wait for your thoughts.

Guest Nofan Tasi

update @C3C0

I removed apex themes and then apex and installed nova prime (no themes or icons).

Runs and feels more stable ...

But, while restoring/reconfiguring apps, I do get user interface crashes. I do not have apps that stop.

Symptom is to abruptly fallback to Paranoid (IMO ugly) animation and to reenter user interface.

As you say, the issue most probably crept in out of your control. I did not go search in other relevant forums.

Thanks for your excellent work.

Guest bacsi2

Hi!

I have the same problem. I installed (fresh install) the ROM yesterday, and it's restarted randomly about 3-4 times until now. I use it with the default launcher, hybrid mode turned off.

In CM7 I can set my preferred gsm connection [ WCDMA preferred | GSM only | WCDMA only | ... ]

I can force this setting with external utility, but they are not remembered after switching back from wifi.

Seem to be removed/disabled in CM9/PA9 ?

There's no need to use external app. Power switch in status bar can be set for different network modes.

(Settings / System / notification drawer / widgets buttons / network modes)

I give up with this rom :( I have a lot of crashes with Paranoid Android (even I need to reboot if I want to check if someone has sent me a message).

I know it's not C3CO's fault, because I've used others roms created by him and his work is excelent, actually, I'll go back to CM7, MokeeOS or even Skatie (not sure yet).

I will check the next PA version.

That's sad to hear.

I didn't have enough time to look at it today. I just tried to reproduce the crashes by opening as many apps I could.

I had almost all of the applications open from app drawer. System started to behave as it was destabilized with too many

BINDER TRANSACTION FAILED error messages in the logcat but I was able to recover from this situation without a crash by simply

closing all open apps step-by-step from "recent apps" window...

Anyway, I am going to start to work on new version. Still some pending bugs I would like to fix (List of apps not working, "Default DPI" setting sets

phone base DPI (240) instead of default mid base DPI... And I also plan to change default hybrid values to some better, more readable values so interface

is more user friendly after flashing and starting the rom for the first time.

I am thinking about titanium backup. If you restored apps together with data that were backed up on different rom, this might cause

pottential issues. Have you tried with installing apps from scratch? (not titanium)?

Edited by C3C0