Nexus 7 tablet (Android 4.1 JellyBean)

Guest timfimjim

Guest runlevel5

so tempted by this..however, I really cannot fork out for a device that in terms of use wouldn't be justified when I have a smartphone and a laptop already. the specs are amazing for the price though, dedicated android gamers will love it :-)

Guest runlevel5

The limited storage could be an issue for gamers. Seeming lack of hdmi is off-putting too.

Would be nice if its confirmed to have MHL out on the microUSB port.

Guest FlatPackPete

I am tempted as I've have never been happy with my current tablet (a modded hannspree Hannspad) and all the videos out now seem to show this working quite nicely. I'm ok with the lack of HMDI and no 3G option I imagine but some will be put off by that.

Anyone know if this will be sold outside the US?

Edited by FlatPackPete

Guest eLJay

It is for sale outside the US as I checked their UK sales page yesterday.

I was put off buying it for the lack of hdmi and lack of storage expansion, there are alternatives.

I do wonder if they produce a standard device in the hope the manufacturers will out perform them?

Guest FlatPackPete

im tempted to get 1 i must admit, just found out on it should retail in some stores too :D

http://www.engadget....k-availability/

Yay!!

The Carphone warehouse by where I work has tablets on display where you can have a play with them, so I'll have a good play before buying :)

Edited by FlatPackPete

Guest timfimjim

It is for sale outside the US as I checked their UK sales page yesterday.

I was put off buying it for the lack of hdmi and lack of storage expansion, there are alternatives.

I do wonder if they produce a standard device in the hope the manufacturers will out perform them?

What alternatives are you looking at? I admit it would be better if they had a micro sd slot or something.. but hdmi doesn't really bother me too much (especially with the storage available).

I think my budget wouldn't go higher than £200. And I dont want to be upgrading every year - so the tegra3 quadcore processor appeals to me (along with jellybean)

Guest pritsey

I've pre-ordered the 16 gig today. I know a guy at work pre-ordered last night to make sure he got the free transformers movie and 15 quid store credit. Fingers crossed I do too!

Guest Hogweed

Officially there should be no Adobe Flash support on this as Adobe have ended support post Ice Cream Sandwich. Anyone know if it Flash still runs on 4.1 even if unsupported?

Guest Davidoff59

What is a tablet good for, is it mainly for content consumption? Am I right in saying that it replaces neither a phone or computer as it can't make calls and you can't print off it etc? So its kind of an extra gadget that replaces nothing and gives nothing extra

Guest pritsey

We have an ipad2 at home, and its used by everyone. I use it as a browser, teenage son plays games, Facebook and instagram. Wife uses it to browse, 5 year old son watches video and plays kiddie ben10 games. Even my 2 year old daughter watches YouTube peppa pig video. A tablet is a fantastic thing for our household. Of course you circumstances may be different....

So why order the nexus7? So I don't have to share of course! Haha! Also perfect size for travelling too. I always travel with my work laptop bit sometimes I don't want the hassle of getting that out on a train or plane. For me, it might e a perfect device.

Just my 2p

Guest Davidoff59

So content consumption it is then. See you still need your laptop/PC and your phone so I don't quite get the hype. If it would replace my laptop, I would get one but its hard to justify for what it does and doesn't do.

Guest timfimjim

I completely agree. Until now the reason I don't have a tablet is because I don't need one and can't justify the laptop price (and it doesn't do anything my phone or laptop can't do). But I want one because they're nice and a bit of a luxury.

Absolute feat of marketing from apple and the original iPad if you ask me. Selling people something they don't need

Edited by timfimjim

Guest Hogweed

Officially there should be no Adobe Flash support on this as Adobe have ended support post Ice Cream Sandwich. Anyone know if it Flash still runs on 4.1 even if unsupported?

Confirmed: As expected there is no support for Adobe Flash on this device. Apparently there are a lot of graphics system changes in 4.1 and I still don't know if flash will work on any 4.1 even unsupported,

Also Adobe confirm Flash will be removed from Google Play Store on 15th August for all phones which currently support it. I use Flash based streams a lot on my G300 and I think Adobe have jumped the gun by de-supporting too early. There are no alternatives yet for some of the flash based streams I use daily, Security updates only will be available for existing installations after August 15th.

Details at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/29/no_flash_jelly_bean/

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Sebastian404

Not Sure why this thread is in the G300 forum.... but hey.

$200 for a 7inch tablet is pretty awesome, but it must suck to be Samsung these days. Google has been providing free software for their devices and now suddenly they are selling a competing devices for 'cost'...

Guest Jamie :)

Sold my HTC Flyer and ordered an 8GB earlier :-) Loosing ~8gb of storage doesn't bother me in the slightest, Updates bother me though, And being stuck on Honeycomb isn't nice haha!

• 2 weeks later...