MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.

Extracting UPDATE.APP HELP

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

this is a script that can extract update.app for G300 originally by Mcspoon then zebadger and Qiwu Haung

Need help with modifying this perl script for windows, that extracts update.app,
you need active perl for windows installed to use
cant quite get it to extract properly and crap @ perl and my linux hard drive is down so cant dual boot into linux to use

trying to get it to complete with out errors

plus im on the beer tonight, so not a good combo.....[attachment=81994:split_update.zip] Edited by Gary_J_Wright

Posted · Report post

what errors are you getting CRC ?

this is how i done it (post #22)
[url="http://www.modaco.com/topic/355595-cook-b926/page__st__20"]http://www.modaco.com/topic/355595-cook-b926/page__st__20[/url]

i just ignored the crc errors, and after extracting the system.img and boot.img everything seems ok

Posted · Report post

Are you extracting B926?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Dazzozo' timestamp='1341705174' post='1984330']
Are you extracting B926?
[/quote]

yes to b926 and i think i removed the crc check from perl script, get a unknown file error when complete

the resulting system.img wont unpack with unyaffs (as you can do with a CWM backup) says it may be corrupted

[quote name='tillaz' timestamp='1341703979' post='1984329']
what errors are you getting CRC ?

this is how i done it (post #22)
[url="http://www.modaco.com/topic/355595-cook-b926/page__st__20"]http://www.modaco.co...26/page__st__20[/url]

i just ignored the crc errors, and after extracting the system.img and boot.img everything seems ok
[/quote]

i will try that way lol I just used the syntax i found via google, probably less alcohol would help to.... Edited by Gary_J_Wright

Posted · Report post

You can't extract B926 with unyaffs2 as it isn't a yaffs2 image. It's an ext4 image. As much as we'd like, unyaffs2 isn't the ultimate solution to every Android image.

[quote name='Dazzozo' timestamp='1341708205' post='1984344']
You can't extract B926 with unyaffs2 as it isn't a yaffs2 image. It's an ext4 image. As much as we'd like, unyaffs2 isn't the ultimate solution to every Android image.
[/quote]

okay i see more research and less alcohol!!! :unsure: used diskinternasl linux reader for windows to mount the ext4.img and to extract /save file structure - sorted! Edited by Gary_J_Wright

if its ext4 then you could mount it on linux using just a loop: [CODE]mount -t ext4 -o loop ext4.img /mnt[/CODE]

if you're getting "unknown file" its just that that file doesn't exist in %fileHash which is quite likely, and not a problem i'd say.

you don't need to rename the file, just pass it in as an argument: [CODE]./split_update.pl UPDATA.APP[/CODE]

i just had a poke at it and oddly enough split_update.pl gives me "Unrecognised file format. Wrong identifier." but split_updata.pl doesn't, even though the code for doing that bit doesn't differ (maybe its windoze line wrappings or something).

i end up with this lot, most of the unknown_file's just seem to be huawei version strings (e.g. U8818V100R001C17B926 and U8815V100R001C00B924)

[CODE]$ file *
AMSSMBN.img: x86 boot sector, mkdosfs boot message display, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID " mkdosfs", sectors/cluster 8, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT 130, heads 64, sectors 266240 (volumes > 32 MB) , serial number 0x7a0a34fb, label: " ", FAT (16 bit)
appsboothd.mbn: data
boot.img: data
boot_versions.txt: data
cust.img: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data (extents) (large files)
file01.mbn: Hitachi SH big-endian COFF object, not stripped
file02.mbn: data
file04.mbn: data
file05.mbn: data
file07.mbn: data
file18.mbn: data
file20.mbn: data
file21.mbn: Tower32/800 68020
recovery.img: data
system.img: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data (extents) (large files)
unknown_file.0: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x4d, active, starthead 0, startsector 1, 40 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x45, starthead 0, startsector 41, 600 sectors; partition 3: ID=0xc, starthead 0, startsector 641, 266240 sectors; partition 4: ID=0x5, starthead 0, startsector 266881, 0 sectors, code offset 0x0
unknown_file.1: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
unknown_file.10: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
unknown_file.2: data
unknown_file.3: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
unknown_file.4: data
unknown_file.5: data
unknown_file.6: DOS executable (device driver)
unknown_file.7: data
unknown_file.8: DBase 3 index file
unknown_file.9: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
userdata.img: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data (extents) (large files)
version.txt: data[/CODE] Edited by sej7278

Posted · Report post

How is it typical of Huawei? This isn't Huawei's code. Read the comments at the top, it was clearly added by the guy who wrote the script.

Posted · Report post

I was going to say that I thought the code was tweaked on other phones so we could identify what each individual file was so the same will need doing for this script.

Posted · Report post

Dont worrry used tillaz version ignored the crc and extracted the ext4.img and saved file structure - sorted - shame i missed tillaz post it would of saved me a hour or so!

Posted · Report post

Which of these remain a mystery:-[quote]AMSSMBN.img 22,760,448
appsboothd.mbn 40
boot.img 4,462,592
boot_versions.txt 40
cust.img 41,943,040
file01.mbn 80
file02.mbn 40
file04.mbn 9,508
file05.mbn 641,424
file07.mbn 40
file18.mbn 128
file20.mbn 40
file21.mbn 38,962
recovery.img 5,146,624
system.img 396,361,728
unknown_file.0 405
unknown_file.1 24,576
unknown_file.10 20
unknown_file.2 145,844
unknown_file.3 25
unknown_file.4 3,145,728
unknown_file.5 3,145,728
unknown_file.6 768,000
unknown_file.7 3,864,000
unknown_file.8 205,108
unknown_file.9 330
userdata.img 155,189,248[/quote]

Posted · Report post

unknown_files :P

Posted · Report post

;-) So we know what eg file01.mbn is?

Posted · Report post

Some of the 40-byte-files are identical - those are the 'HD'-files .. (Hardware Description, or Hardware Device, just guessing)

Here is a list of what those file could be ...

file01.mbn -> HD-file
file02.mbn -> HD-file
file04.mbn -> could be QCSBL_CFGDATA
file05.mbn -> imho the extracting / flashing / controlling program
file07.mbn -> HD-File
file18.mbn -> MD5_RSA
file20.mbn -> HD-File
file21.mbn -> ADSP ?
unknown_file.0 -> OEMSBL_Version-List (list of upgradeable Versions)
unknown_file.1 -> another Config-File (?)
unknown_file.10 -> AMSS-Version
unknown_file.2 -> QC_SystemBootloader (?)
unknown_file.3 -> OEMSBL_Version
unknown_file.4 -> MODEM_ST1
unknown_file.5 -> MODEM_ST2
unknown_file.6 -> Boot-Splashlogo (RAW565 480x800)
unknown_file.7 -> Install-Pictures (Updateing 1/2, Installing 2/2, one RAW565, 480 width, 4025 height)
unknown_file.8 -> fastboot (?)
unknown_file.9 -> AMSS_Version_List

Posted · Report post

da2401, that's great thanks.

BTW, there's (unfinished?) repacker code at https://github.com/terrex/unupdatapp courtesy of terrex found at http://www.modaco.com/topic/311344-repacking-updataapp-was-new-version-of-split-updatapl/page__st__180

Posted · Report post

will this be able to change caseband/version check?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='b4da55' timestamp='1348601953' post='2026680']
will this be able to change caseband/version check?
[/quote]
Potentially, yes. Not sure how far along it is. Signature checking may still need disabling.

Posted · Report post

that would be awesome.

keep up the good work

Posted · Report post

Also interesting: [url="http://www.scribd.com/doc/106714961/41/eMMC-loading-procedure"]http://www.scribd.com/doc/106714961/41/eMMC-loading-procedure[/url]

Those 40-Byte-HD-files are header binaries, but I still don't know what they good for.

Editing cust.img [url="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PtK_sN4gq812hI0FAtJ7FLICv_9tuVIM0VRDIbxRGh4/edit"]https://docs.google....VRDIbxRGh4/edit[/url]

Editing/repacking stock rom .img files http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1081239

Getting a bit OT here but interesting. Edited by tcpaulh

AMSSMBN.img 22,760,448 AMSS modem binary image
appsboothd.mbn 40 lk bootloader binary
boot.img 4,462,592 Kernel, ramdisk and boot config
boot_versions.txt 40 Encoded list of roms?
cust.img 41,943,040 Huawei custom settings eg toggles, boot animation, locale, language
file01.mbn 80 HD-file
file02.mbn 40 HD-file
file04.mbn 9,508 could be QCSBL_CFGDATA
file05.mbn 641,424 extracting / flashing / controlling program
file07.mbn 40 HD-File
file18.mbn 128 MD5_RSA
file20.mbn 40 HD-File
file21.mbn 38,962 ADSP ?
recovery.img 5,146,624 The recovery and update environment’s kernel and ramdisk. Similar to BOOT.
system.img 396,361,728 The OS partition, static and read-only.
unknown_file.0 405 OEMSBL_Version-List
unknown_file.1 24,576 Config-File (?)
unknown_file.10 20 AMSS-Version
unknown_file.2 145,844 qcsbl.mbn(?) Qualcomm Secondary Bootloader (?)
unknown_file.3 25 OEMSBL_Version
unknown_file.4 3,145,728 MODEM_ST1
unknown_file.5 3,145,728 MODEM_ST2
unknown_file.6 768,000 Boot-Splashlogo (RAW565 480x800)
unknown_file.7 3,864,000 Install-Pictures (Updateing 1/2, Installing 2/2, one RAW565, 480 width, 4025 height)
unknown_file.8 205,108 fastboot (?)
unknown_file.9 330 AMSS_Version_List
userdata.img 155,189,248 default /data/app applications?

[quote]
MSM7x27A uses a multistage boot that is comprised of a Primary Boot Loader (PBL), Qualcomm secondary Boot Loader (QCSBL), and OEM Secondary Boot Loader (OEMSBL). The binary files corresponding to the multistage boot loaders, the associated headers, and the AMSS are placed in the build\ms\bin\<build_id> directory.
amss.mbn AMSS modem binary image
amsshd.mbn AMSS modem binary image header
qcsbl.mbn Qualcomm secondary boot loader binary
qcsblhd_cfgdata.mbn Qualcomm secondary boot loader header and config data binary
oemsbl.mbn OEM secondary boot loader binary
oemsblhd.mbn OEM secondary boot loader header binary
partition.mbn Partition table binary
NPRG7627A.hex QPST host downloader
The following .mbn files are intermediate files generated during the build process and will be inserted into the final AMSS image:
 amss_hash.mbn – Binary image containing hash information for verifying the integrity of AMSS images
 amss_hashhd.mbn – Header for the hash information image
The multi-image JNAND in the tools\mjnand directory is used to program these binary images into the NAND Flash.[/quote] Edited by tcpaulh

There's a lot of other stuff in other forums concerning creation of update.app, e.g. a huawei-Tool bin2app for a huawei tablet.
As long as the private rsa key isn't available/leaking, there is no chance creating a valid update.app. Edited by da2401

Posted · Report post

This thread is great and I love it :P

Does the install procedure actually check for a signature? I wouldn't be surprised if Huawei relied on security through obscurity.

Posted · Report post

There are references to a limited number of secure machines at Huawei for building. Presumably due to RSA key.

Someone should try the repacking code to see where it's at.

Still hoping it will be possible to disable signatures