Just out of interest .. Better or worse.

Guest GaryM30

Guest GaryM30

As a relative noob (as I am likely to be labelled, for good reason)

I would like to know how many people feel they have honestly got a better phone after interfering with the internal workings.

(rom changes, unofficial updates etc)

I only ask as I am seeing so many problems cropping up on this board, arising from said interference, and to be honest I thought GB892 worked really well, but got enticed by the prospect of ICS and all the talk of it being much better, however I feel I am now worse off then when I started.

This interface (ics927) is laggy , needs repeated taps to do what the earlier versions did seamlessly and feels way more sluggish.

I only ask in the interest of discussion, and edification.

I mean no disrespect to the learned friends in here, who have advanced our respective knowledge and helped out beyond the call of duty.

I really do appreciate how much time and effort goes into their work.

But; I thought it might be interesting to see how many others, in all honesty wish they had left well alone.

Gary.

Guest mack_

I would like to know how many people feel they have honestly got a better phone after interfering with the internal workings.

I only ask as I am seeing so many problems cropping up on this board, arising from said interference, and to be honest I thought GB892 worked really well, but got enticed by the prospect of ICS and all the talk of it being much better, however I feel I am now worse off then when I started.

This interface (ics927) is laggy , needs repeated taps to do what the earlier versions did seamlessly and feels way more sluggish.

I mean no disrespect to the learned friends in here, who have advanced our respective knowledge and helped out beyond the call of duty.

But; I thought it might be interesting to see how many others, in all honesty wish they had left well alone.

Gary.

Basically, ICS is great (went its works that is) but due to the lack of OpenGL or UI Hardware acceleration being enabled (whatever you wanna call it) it doesn't want to work properly, but what i would say is don't mess with the phone if you don't want to, at the end of the day we will get ICS official and there is no point breaking/bricking your when you are perfectly happy with it.

:)

Guest mack_

Thanks for that lads. it is really encouraging to hear that tinkering can improve stock ...

It can ..but just be careful and make sure you back up everything(even the vodafone bloatware and original updates,roms)

it might come in handy later on

Guest emu123

this is my second g300

to be honest i tried just about every rom going on the first one and was never happy with the performance

i have left this one completely stock and couldnt be happier with it , only thing i have changed is the launcher

Every android device I have used has benefited in some way by having root access. E.g. you add supercharger to any stock ROM and the difference is night and day.

So yeah, you can improve your device immensely but on the same front if you don't know what you are doing, you don't read instructions and you do stupid things you can be your own nightmare maker.

Guest bladebuddy

I have had pure problems with this phone but I am quite happy with Tillas infusion rom, runs well and quick for most of my needs. Certainly better then the stock rom. My only complaints are the vast majority of gameloft games I have run like a bag of s--t. That has been a problem on all 3 roms I have tried. There does look like an over clockable kernel could be here soon so I am sticking with infusion to see how it goes.

Guest Rico_89

For me Gingerbread was laggy but as soon as I installed ICS B926 it just felt like a different phone.. super slick and lagg free. Then B927 came along and it worked out great for me even though the install method, I had to use, was a little scary. I then tried Infusion and I have to say that it is the best ICS experience I have had on the phone, although because I found that the video camera lagged a bit I am now back on stock B927.

I know some people are unfortunately having a bad experience with ICS but hopefully that won't be the case when the official update is released.

Guest andy.hyde4

Gary.

Now I'm on B934 i have had no force reboots or lag it just works so if your are having problems i recommend just flashing this, seen as you are on 927

http://www.modaco.com/topic/356515-rom-repack-of-stock-b934-flashable-zip/

Guest GaryM30

The for the heads up Andy, i got it as soon as it was available. And It has made a big difference to my phone ..

Very happy right now, apart from the fact vodafone have suspended my sim "due to irregular activity".

Will sort out Monday, but all I have done is install the B934 update.

Maybe playing with the different roms and having to keep getting vodafones settings everytime is considered suspicious. Never had this before so will see.