[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Guest tilal6991

Since i'm not at home i can't review your code but one thing i can think of that i had to solve was that unpacking boot.img to a fat 32 filesystem doesn't work since it doesn't support links. I solved it by running the process in an ext2 loop file.

Yep I know. Which is why I do it on the data partition which of course does support sym links.

Guest Snap.IT

Yep I know. Which is why I do it on the data partition which of course does support sym links.

When you say it's not being created correctly, do you mean that the init.rc isn't correctly altered or that the boot.img isn't assembled correctly?

Guest Snap.IT
Mr.Snap, Finally achieved....CM9 and CM10 is running in my blade. CM10 is my NAND.

1. CM9 is very slow (May be running from SD Card)...Right?

2. Is there any app to switch CM9-10 or CM10-9? Please help me. I must show it to my friends and make them surprise.

3. CM9 is running from SD Card...Apollo player didn't recognise my songs......Is there any problem there?

All Credits goes to Mr.Snap......

Guna

1. Yes, it will be slower for some, for me it's about the same as for a nand install. Setting read ahead on system helps.

2. Lalit is working on one. You could also read the OP for a solution until he is done.

3. Delete .nomedia from the root of the sdcard. This is a problem with ROM Manager and has nothing to do with the loop install.

Guest ..Abel..

hey it works perfect ,using cm10,cm9 and cm7 :P just have a few Q's

1.as the loop roms constantly use the sdcard ,will it decrease the life or cause any problem to the sdcard in the long run ?

2. can this script be modified to be used for other phones ?

Strange...

Can you give me the init.rc for that install? You'll find it under / when you're running the rom.

I tired it on konsta's cm9 as loop rom, still shows not installed.

What about you ? Can you install an app which is installed on sdcard by default?

I also noticed that app cannot be moved to SD in loop rom's. Is same thing happens to you?

Guest Snap.IT

hey it works perfect ,using cm10,cm9 and cm7 :P just have a few Q's

1.as the loop roms constantly use the sdcard ,will it decrease the life or cause any problem to the sdcard in the long run ?

2. can this script be modified to be used for other phones ?

1. Yes, however most sdcards will outlast your phone.

2. It can be used on any phone that installs ROM's via CWM, i actually included functions to make it possible to use on pretty much any phone that runs Android and uses CWM (or Amon or pretty much any recovery out there).

Guest Snap.IT

I tired it on konsta's cm9 as loop rom, still shows not installed.

What about you ? Can you install an app which is installed on sdcard by default?

I also noticed that app cannot be moved to SD in loop rom's. Is same thing happens to you?

It works without a hitch for me, i still need to see your init.rc, just do this:

Start your loop rom and:

1. Open terminal session

2. su

3. cp /init.rc /sdcard/init.rc

The init.rc is now in the root of your sdcard, attatch it to a post so i can check it out. :)

Edited by Snap.IT

btw, SNAP is it possible to make data and system file of 300 mb and 1gb respectively, coz if it is we might never require sd ext again as all the apps will install internally without the out of space error..im still marvelled by how smooth MIUI is on looprom as smooth as it can get...thanx

Edited by stanoo

It works without a hitch for me, i still need to see your init.rc, just do this:

Start your loop rom and:

1. Open terminal session

2. su

3. cp /init.rc /sdcard/init.rc

The init.rc is now in the root of your sdcard, attatch it to a post so i can check it out. :)

Here it is : http://db.tt/aDyobVKE

Do I have to convert and install rom again?

Guest Snap.IT

wouldn't there be a problem if you are booted into sdcard Rom and connect phone as media storage mode via USB without a partition

Yeah, i mentioned that earlier in the thread, use adb for file transfers or QTAdb if you prefer to use a GUI.

Yeah, i mentioned that earlier in the thread, use adb for file transfers or QTAdb if you prefer to use a GUI.

so wouldnt it be better if we make a partiiton for the ROM

Guest Snap.IT

btw, SNAP is it possible to make data and system file of 300 mb and 1gb respectively, coz if it is we might never require sd ext again as all the apps will install internally without the out of space error..im still marvelled by how smooth MIUI is on looprom as smooth as it can get...thanx

You can make the loop files up to 3 999 999MB big (that's the file size limit for fat32) as long as you have enough space on your sdcard. :)

I'm quite impressed with the performance too but this seems to depend on what SD-card you have (not neccessarily the class, i have a class4 and i honestly cannot tell the difference from running on NAND).

Guest Snap.IT

so wouldnt it be better if we make a partiiton for the ROM

If you want that you can do that, but then you'd be limited by that partition and you would need to partition your sdcard. If you're willing to do that, go for it.

Part of the reason i'm doing it like this rather than to install it on a separate partition was that this removes the need to partition.

Using QTAdb is easy enough and in fact preferable in many ways, if you would ever need to mount your sdcard as usb storage you can do that in recovery or your nand rom.

http://lifehacker.com/5877356/qtadb-brings-android-file-management-app-installation-and-more-to-your-desktop

Edited by Snap.IT

That looks just fine for a non-jb rom.

How much space do you have left on your SD-Card? I'm kinda grasping here because it makes no sense why it would work for me but not for you.

Around 1GB left. I got this problem with cyanscape rom so I loop installed konsta's cm9 just to check, but here also it persist. Maybe I did something wrong. Hope u will find any solution.

Besides everything works fine and no lag.

If you want that you can do that, but then you'd be limited by that partition and you would need to partition your sdcard. If you're willing to do that, go for it.

Part of the reason i'm doing it like this rather than to install it on a separate partition was that this removes the need to partition.

Using QTAdb is easy enough and in fact preferable in many ways, if you would ever need to mount your sdcard as usb storage you can do that in recovery or your nand rom.

http://lifehacker.co...to-your-desktop

this may be a stupid noob reply...

cant we have the /system folder in the apps2sd ext partition itself

Guest Snap.IT

this may be a stupid noob reply...

cant we have the /system folder in the apps2sd ext partition itself

I'm not sure, S2E does strange things with things it doesn't recognize, like try to move them from /sd-ext into /data. I don't know how other scripts and apps for using /sd-ext work.

Your backups would include all of your /systems for all loop roms too, they'd be fairly large.

But you can always try it if you want to.

I was actually thinking about rewriting S2E to run in a loop partition as a sparse file (all files will eventually be created as sparse files since they won't take up more space than there is data on them.

Guest Snap.IT

Snap

I know where the problem is and I know how to fix it. Its just missing spaces at the beginning of the search and replace function.

Right, well i know how easy it is to miss things like that. :D

I won't be home for a few more days but i'm fairly sure i figured out how to chainload on Android and making the menu would be a breeze as long as every made sys_img can be registred into a file coupled with the boot[nameofrom].img.

I trimmed the recovery (and by recovery i mean the CWM parts i can distribute of the program "recovery" to be able to mount loopfiles and since i can mount boot.img as a loopfile, i can probably chainload it without any more modifications.

So we could have a "GRUB like" boot menu but with touch.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest Snap.IT

Now that would be great!!

It's fairly simple, alyll the tools are there already, all i need to do is to patch it and compile it, shouldn't be too hard considering i did end up compiling gcc for blade just because i thought i might need it later, got it in a loop rom, no need to cross compile for me. :D

Basically, if i can get it to load, and i can, i can get it to chainload, it'll take a few days after i get home but i'm fairly sure that a boot menu that looks about the same as the 6.0.1.1 touch menu looks.

Still can't change text colour though, it breaks touch, the only part i have to halfway hack to even use.

Big change is coming on that one though, once i'm done.

Guest Sulthekk

"got it in a loop rom, no need to cross compile for me."

Even dpkg runs damn slow on the phone, I can hardly imagine anyone being patient enough to compile on it :/

Guest Snap.IT
"got it in a loop rom, no need to cross compile for me."

Even dpkg runs damn slow on the phone, I can hardly imagine anyone being patient enough to compile on it :/

It's surprisingly fast and why sit and watch it? I just let it run over night.