[GUIDE] [HOW TO] Rooting your ZTE Blade II

Guest fiskbulle

Guest fiskbulle

! DISCLAIMER !

Myself or MoDaCo take no responsibility if something goes wrong, do this at your own risk! The warranty on your phone will probably be lost if you do this! However, if there would be any problems, we will try to help you as best as possible.

• 1. General Information
  • 2. The Guide step-by-step
  • 3. Trouble-shooting / F.A.Q
  • 4. Credits

1. General Information:

This guide is for the Blade II mobile phone, and will not work for any other device! (unless it's confirmed). The specifications about the phone can be seen here: (http://pdadb.net...&c=zte_blade_ii).

Before you start make sure you have access to an computer, that you have the drivers for your phone installed on the computer, that you have added the Superuser zip-file on the SD-card and that you ticked the USB-debugging on your phone. (You can find it under Settings/Applications/Development).

(Drivers can be found here: http://wwwen.zte.com....3218405107.zip, Open and install only).

2. The Guide step-by-step:

1:1. Download recovery: http://www.mediafire...lg98y26fb6qffgf

2:2. Download ADB: http://www.mediafire...dnze68xcjb61z9j

2:3. Download SuperUser: http://downloads.nos....arm-signed.zip

2:4. Extract "adb_fastboot_and_other_tools.zip" to any location on the hard drive, it doesn't matter where as long you remember where you put it.

2:5. Put "recovery.img" in the folder "Android" which you got from extracting "adb_fastboot_and_other_tools.zip", place it freely inside the folder, not in any sub folders or so.

2:6. Open a command prompt window from the Android folder. (Press any shift-button and then right-click anywhere inside the folder, does not work if you have something highlighted though).

2:7. Inside the command prompt window, type: "adb reboot bootloader"

(The mobile phone will reboot and stay on the green android guy).

2:8. Then inside the command prompt window, type: "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

(Make sure that the recovery file is called "recovery.img" and nothing else).

2:9. Then type in the command prompt window: "fastboot reboot"

(The mobile phone should now start up as normal).

2:10. Now switch off your phone, and remove the battery for a little while, and insert it again. Then start the phone again by holding the volume-down key - and the start button at the same time. (It could be that it flashes and the green man comes up again, but it's nothing to worry about, just hold down the buttons all the time).

2:11. You should now have got into recovery. (Use the volume-keys to scroll through the options, and the home button to select).

2:12. You should now select: "install zip from SD-card", push it, scroll until you find the "Superuser-3.2-RC2-arm signed.zip" file, select it and then press "Yes". (You might have to scroll through a few "No", until you reach "Yes").

2:13. Congratulations you should now have rooted your Blade II phone. (Now just start the phone up and see in the menu if Superuser application is installed).

3. Trouble-shooting / F.A.Q

3.1: Q: I'm stuck at "< waiting for device >" in the command prompt window after running: "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img", what is the problem and what to do?

3:1. A: Unplug the USB-cable and remove the battery for a short while, then start it up again and make sure you have USB-debugging checked. The problem is most likely that your computer haven't installed all the drivers correctly. To trouble-shoot this you'll have to download and install a program called "PdaNet". Follow the instructions from the installation-process, and proceed with step 7 in the guide. Get PdaNet @ http://junefabrics.c...droid/index.php

Credits:

Sebastian404 @ MoDaCo - For the recovery image.

Lx_r @ Swedroid - Made the original guide, in swedish.

racsodew @ Swedroid - Help with trouble-shooting fixes.

I only take credits for adding my own context and converting this guide to english!

Hope everything goes well now. And please write a comment how it went later. Thanks for me! :)

*** Main post is not finished, it might be updated with more trouble-shootings / F.A.Q or more Information, but the guide rooting procedure will stay intact. If there is anything you wish to be added to this guide, or something needs to be changed, feel free to inform me about it and i'll updated the post. ***

Edited by fiskbulle

Guest fiskbulle

Well, i don't know where else to put it.. The fact that it's an ZTE manufacturer phone, tells me it should be in this category. And that the phone device name is Blade II indicates it should be in this section.

I havn't seen any section for the Blade II version, but i could be wrong. If this thread is in the wrong section, can an moderator please move it? Sorry for any inconveniences, it's a bit misleading.

What i've been told this phone isn't Cresent either?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I managed somehow to install clockworkmode and to root the phone.

So i was having problems like many others that "waiting for device" message and nothing happened .

I fixed this issue and i like to inform ,help others whos still fight with this problem.

This message is have to do with the zte drivers in windows , so everithing is just cause drivers !!!

So i'm using Win 7 64bit and now i tested at my office also on Win 7 32bit (both ultimate) and it worked.

What you need to download what fiskbulle mentioned abowe , so

1. i extracted the 'adb_fastboot_and_other_tools.zip' to c:\ so we have C:\Android\

2. I append the C:\Android\ in the ENVIROMENT VARIABLES at PATH clicked EDIT then after the paths append ;C:\Android\ (copyed here the recovery.img and , Superuser-3.2-RC2-arm-signed.zip to the phone SD)

3. On my blade2 checked the USB DEBUGGING settings then connected to computer

4. At this point i opened the DEVICE MANAGER to see allthetime what happening with the phone drivers

5. I installed the usb drivers mentioned abowe. (and i was looking at device man to ensure that there is no error in drivers)

6. At this point i opened a COMMAND PROMPT from c:\android\ then i checked my phone with 'ADB DEVICES' command ,... list of devices attached P735T was written

7. now i type 'ADB REBOOT BOOTLOADER' then the phone after 5-7 sec reboots to the Green android screen and stuck there :)

8. At this point my device manager lost ZTE HANDSET MODEM, ZTE COMPOSITE ADB INTERFACE devices and found a new one ,ANDROID with driver error !!! Important to set the DEVICE ISTALLATION SETTING in windows to use INSTALL DRIVERS FROM WINDOWS UPDATE IF NOT FOUND ON MY COMPUTER

9. i choosed UPDATE DRIVER from DEVICE MANAGER , and updating from the internet , after a while it found a driver and installed , and i got finally a working device named ZTE BOOTLOADER INTERFACE or whatever it was :)

10. At this point i checked with ADB DEVICES my phone , but dont worry its not seeing like before , but its communicating anyway !

11. so I typed the 'FASTBOOT FLASH RECOVERY RECOVERY.IMG' then it starts the process ,after 3-4 sec its finished.

12. now typed 'FASTBOOT REBOOT'

13. Phone restarts normally , then powered off , battery taken out for 10 sec , power button pressed for a while.

14. Restarted the phone by holding the Power button and Volume Down buttons until i entered in clockworkmode recovery ! :)

15. Then i used INSTALL ZIP FROM SD CARD and choosed the Superuser-3.2-RC2-arm-signed.zip , flased and rebooted after.

16 Phone restart normally , i used ROT CHECK to check if my device is rooted , you found on the market.

17. YESS my phone have clockwork and rooted WOOW

Oh i forget to ask the most important !!!!!!!

The Blade 2 have 200MB (more precise 152mb) rom so i have no storage space after a few install :(

Somwhere i saw that is 1Gb storage just 200Mb available !!?

SOMEONE KNOW any solution to free up the rest of the rom or some kind of trick to have more storage .

My blade 1 have more memory then blade 2 ... :( grrrr......

Someone ???

Edited by Jenck

Hi,

I tried the rooting and it is working. Thank you very much!!!

There is important notice from "jenck": when rebooted to bootloader, the device really change from "zte blade" to "android interface device". I have windows vista and there was no "update online" option for the driver. So I googled "android device driver" and find it. It seems to be some generic android usb driver. Other stuff works as described by fiskbulle.

Karel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boshimanu

hi folks..i rooted my zte blade 2( eastern europe model)..but can.t find a rom to flash in...i want to give it more space for app...i was thinking at cyanogenmod roms...nothing is working...is about the oiginal kernel...i can.t find on the forum anyone who flashed a new rom and was succesufully. thx.

Guest oneone200

Hi everyone!

I bought ZTE blade 2, already rooted and my big fault I didnt make a recovery and I make a factory reset... So I finally discovered that there is no recovery img or cyanogenmod for this phone, even on ZTE site. So I cant use it until they release recovery.zip or cyanogen will support zte blade 2. Or anybody have some idea what I can do except waiting for new firmware? Thank You a Lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have tried porting the room with this guide:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1908008

As base i used a blade ii upgrade file gb and for port file i used the blade iii upgrade file.

The app file was to big so i removed as mush as i thought possible all language packs and so on to try to minimize it i dont know if this rom will work if someone wants to try it please tell me!

and if i have ported wrong can someone please tell me how to port it easy!

the current file sizes of the orgiginal is 127 and my port is 154!

please write thx!

BEST REGARDS SIFRI

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HBchallengere

I rooted my phone like this, it worked just fine! thanks for that.

But now I tried to install a rom on my phone, but that rom seemed to be for the zte san fransico II / crescent.

I was really confused because it said 'Blade II' but the rom was meant for the san fransico 2.

The installation itself failed, but now my home button doesn't work anymore! It does work in the recovery menu but not on my messed up rom...

So I started searching on google. It seems I can repair it by installing the stock rom of this phone. Somehow I managed to delete my backup so I can't use that.

Until now I haven't found such a stock rom. I always see san fransico I and II roms, even Blade III roms but never found the Blade II stock rom.

So please can someone help find a rom? I'm kind of getting desperate and it's really irritating that my home button doesn't work...

Thanks!

Edited by HBchallengere

Guest HBchallengere

ok thanks for quick response... anything else I can do?

what if i installed the rom of yours? that rom you ported?

Could it perhaps solve my problem? I can try it, my phone is f¨**** up anyway, so it cant get worse i geuss

Edited by HBchallengere

Guest BLu3HaZe

BLADE II (1GHz MSM7227A-T) Stock ROM - Sweden

Link - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1rP2EENdWpwUlo5cHc1YVBSQTg

Disclaimer - Provided as is, for the people who have flashed Blade 2 ROMs on the Blade II. Use at your own risk, downloaded from ZTE. I have not modified this ROM in any way and hold no responsibility whatsoever for any complications that may arise from the use of the above file.

Guest HBchallengere

BLADE II (1GHz MSM7227A-T) Stock ROM - Sweden

Link - https://docs.google....Ulo5cHc1YVBSQTg

Disclaimer - Provided as is, for the people who have flashed Blade 2 ROMs on the Blade II. Use at your own risk, downloaded from ZTE. I have not modified this ROM in any way and hold no responsibility whatsoever for any complications that may arise from the use of the above file.

Thank you!

i'll test it out and let know if it works, I fear it wont because I bought mine in Belgium :/

EDIT: did not work as I suspected...

it said: status 7 aborted instalation and something with the getprop product device and the getprop build product. (because its a diffrent version i guess?)

Can you please tell where on the website you found this ROM? maybe I can find one for the Belgian edition.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by HBchallengere

• 4 weeks later...

People Who have issuse by flashing wrong ROM on Blade 2 can do these steps to get a Stock ROM on the Phone with FTM replacing CWM.

Thanks to the guy on http://www.swedroid....ead.php?t=83575

Download a Telenor or Tele2 ROM for BLADE2 from

http://wwwen.zte.com.../mobile/Sweden/

Open the archive and extract the file updater-script (META-INF/com/google/android /). Edit it with Notepad and remove the first three lines. And and save it. Put it back in archive replacing the old one. Take the zip file and put it on SD. Use CWM and install the modified zip file from SD card. This time there will be error. Until the end an error will appear. Ignore it and boot the phone.

After some time the phone will boot with the new operating system.This process will remove CWM and FTM mode be back again. Though you can reinstall the CWM.

Unfortunately there is no working moded ROM available for ZTE blade so far. So far no problem with new operating system and quit alot of mess is removed compared to factory one.

For me After installing the Stock ROM with this method, not a single CWM works, it just boots in FTM mode. So no rooting on my phone for now.

Edited by Mekail

• 1 month later...

People Who have issuse by flashing wrong ROM on Blade 2 can do these steps to get a Stock ROM on the Phone with FTM replacing CWM.

Thanks to the guy on http://www.swedroid....ead.php?t=83575

Download a Telenor or Tele2 ROM for BLADE2 from

http://wwwen.zte.com.../mobile/Sweden/

Open the archive and extract the file updater-script (META-INF/com/google/android /). Edit it with Notepad and remove the first three lines. And and save it. Put it back in archive replacing the old one. Take the zip file and put it on SD. Use CWM and install the modified zip file from SD card. This time there will be error. Until the end an error will appear. Ignore it and boot the phone.

After some time the phone will boot with the new operating system.This process will remove CWM and FTM mode be back again. Though you can reinstall the CWM.

Unfortunately there is no working moded ROM available for ZTE blade so far. So far no problem with new operating system and quit alot of mess is removed compared to factory one.

For me After installing the Stock ROM with this method, not a single CWM works, it just boots in FTM mode. So no rooting on my phone for now.

Thanks for typing this up. If only I found your post before the Swedish one so I wouldn't had to decrypt his instructions.

It works perfectly for me, except I'm having the same CWM issues you mention. Have you found a solution or a workaround that enable you to root your phone? I'd greatly appreciate if you could share this.

After hours of searching and several desperate attempts, I'm proud to finally have found a solution and a rather simple one at that.

http://androidandme....#comment-353965

After having executed the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img

Instead of executing "fastboot reboot", simply disconnect the USB cable and remove the battery for a while. After having reinserted the battery, power it on in the typical recovery fashion (holding down the "volume down" button and pushing the power button until the device begin its boot process, do not release the "volume down" button before you have entered CWM recovery) and you should enter CWM recovery.

EDIT: Apparently, you'll only be able to access CWM recovery on this sole instance. In any further attempts you would simply land at FTM ("volume down") or Android recovery ("volume up" or "adb reboot recovery"). If you want to enter CWM recovery again, you're going to have to redo the flashing process and remove the battery, as explained earlier in this post. Such is at least the case for me.

Edited by konpa

• 1 month later...
Guest Mekail

After hours of searching and several desperate attempts, I'm proud to finally have found a solution and a rather simple one at that.

http://androidandme....#comment-353965

After having executed the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img

Instead of executing "fastboot reboot", simply disconnect the USB cable and remove the battery for a while. After having reinserted the battery, power it on in the typical recovery fashion (holding down the "volume down" button and pushing the power button until the device begin its boot process, do not release the "volume down" button before you have entered CWM recovery) and you should enter CWM recovery.

EDIT: Apparently, you'll only be able to access CWM recovery on this sole instance. In any further attempts you would simply land at FTM ("volume down") or Android recovery ("volume up" or "adb reboot recovery"). If you want to enter CWM recovery again, you're going to have to redo the flashing process and remove the battery, as explained earlier in this post. Such is at least the case for me.

BOW DOWN TO THE SAVIOUR :D :D

This is a nice trick.it worked and I just need one boot in CMW to install super user for root access and I got it. Thank man. I will quote your solution in other threads. BTW which version CMW you tried. I heard v 6.x.x.x should also work on Blade2.

Also it would be nice idea if the fix posts should be linked in the main post of this tread.

Guest Yorg0

To make the recovery sticky edit "install-recovery.sh" in /system/etc and supress all the lines or add a "#" before every line or simply delete it.

This script replaces your recovery at startup if it gets corrupted in case of problems

Guest Jairu

For a newbie some explainations, on how to effectively do the root, like where to put the files, remain in the comp. or transfer on SD card, the phone should be all the time conected by usb cable, i am really confused, after applying root method need to install a diferent rom, the stock one is stil working?

If someone will find time and patience to answer, many thanks.

Later Edit

I done using info provided by Jenck in post 4 (thank's) step by step. About the memory i use now link2sd with a ext2 partition on my sd card, work fine even with widgets, Stil searching for a custom rom, seems there are not any available for this phone.

Thank"s again and keep up the good job.

Edited by Jairu