power button

Guest brit07

Guest DaveSimonH

I just modified the gpio-keys.kl file, I should have done it sooner really. I kept full press of camera button as CAMERA but changed FOCUS to POWER WAKE, restarted the phone and it worked perfectly (I used ES File Explorer's text editor).

If you use the camera button a lot then this setup is probably not for you, the only times I use the camera I avoid the button due to it being a bit awkward to use. What you could do though is replace FOCUS with CAMERA, and swap CAMERA to POWER WAKE. Two birds one stone, half press will take photos and full will turn screen on/off.

Now I just have to train myself to not use the power button, ever, unless I'm turning the phone on :)

My power button is still working by the way, hopefully doing this will keep it that way!

Edited by DaveSimonH

Guest DaveSimonH

I opened up the gpio-keys.kl file here;

/system/usr/keylayout/

as Text in ES Note Editor, and edited the text in there to this;

3vay.png

It still seems to work intermittently, but worth it alone to swap Camera to half press of the button.

Guest Spunky Backpack

My power button has now sunk into the casing after only 6 months of use. Now I'm going to have to buy a new phone whilst the OSD is in for repair :(

My phone is now with EE for repair. As I can only see this fault happening again, I'm going to sell it when I get it back from EE or keep it as a back up . Thinking of getting a Nexus 4 as my main phone - are these still regarded as decent phones? Don't want to spend over £400 on an HTC1 but then don't want another budget phone that is going to break after a few months. Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Guest Roger Barnett

For some reason Es note editor will not allow me to save the file. Error message in attached screen shot. Could be some thing to do with root but I do have root permission.

Edit: I managed to mod the file as yours using root browser editor, but it has no effect

I even rebooted phone.

Camera button does not power wake for me.

post-908908-0-67165500-1376722460_thumb.

Edited by Roger Barnett

Guest DaveSimonH

Is the file definitely modified? When the screen is on, if you do a full press of the camera button (not a half press), does the screen turn off?

It sometimes doesn't work for me turning the screen back on, but it can always put it to sleep.

Guest Mkfish

So I dropped my phone and the power button has smashed off completely along with the top shell of the phone. I have taken it to some high street repair shops and they have said that they cannot fix it. The phone is no longer under warranty and has no insurance or chance for replacement. Is there any way of reviving it?

Guest BlueMoonRising

So I dropped my phone and the power button has smashed off completely along with the top shell of the phone. I have taken it to some high street repair shops and they have said that they cannot fix it. The phone is no longer under warranty and has no insurance or chance for replacement. Is there any way of reviving it?

Is it still actually working? If by some miracle it is then you would need to look for a dead one sold cheap and transfer the necessary bits over.

If not then you're looking for a replacement I'm afraid. The Nexus 4 (8GB) is down to £159 now (the 16GB version is £199) in anticipation of the Nexus 5 coming.

Guest Mkfish

I'm sure the phone still works, there's just no way to turn it on currently. Figured I was more than likely going to have to buy a new one and doubt I have the necessary skills to replace the power button myself even if I had a surplus one to strip parts from. Thanks for the info though, that's quite a bargain on the nexus 4!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I have the sunken power button problem, have had it for a while, and just found this thread (and website) whilst looking for advice on the camera not being recognised.

cardboard under the button seems to have done the trick for the time being.