Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

Hi!

I have problem with step 5, as ratbag.

My build number is U8815V100R001C185B894.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks.

Hi, try updating to the middle package first. From your microSD card, delete the update.app from the folder dload, and replace it with this update.app: http://g300.thebrona.../middlepackage/. Once you have done that, perform the update (Settings -> Storage -> Software Upgrade -> SD card Upgrade). After, delete the dload folder from the microSD card. Then, go back to Page 5 – Check Baseband and follow from step 1 on My baseband version is 109808. This error seems to be frequent, so I will be adding this to the guide soon.

edit: added proper instructions to the guide under the troubleshooting section.

Edited by Guest

Guest marko.nadjevic

I think you will be able to get your phone back. You need to get a USB microSD reader if you don't already have one (they can be purchased for less than £1 on eBay), or you can use another phone with a microSD slot. Then, download B936 ICS Update, extract it and copy the dload folder to your microSD card. Then put the microSD card in your phone. Remove the battery from your phone and reinsert it. Then, hold the Volume up, Volume down and Power on button simultaneously. This will perform the update. Make sure you delete the dload folder from the microSD card after the update.

Let me know how it goes.

Hi beggin,

I've tried a metod you've suggested and phone started with firmware update, unpacking went ok, but installing failed.

What you suggest to do now?

Maybe to fing GB or something?

Thanks

Hi beggin,

I've tried a metod you've suggested and phone started with firmware update, unpacking went ok, but installing failed.

What you suggest to do now?

Maybe to fing GB or something?

Thanks

Try updating to the middle package first. From your microSD card, delete the update.app from the folder dload, and replace it with this update.app: http://g300.thebrona...middlepackage/. Perform the update. Once you've done that update, try the B936 ICS Update update again.

If it still doesn't work, flash ClockworkMod Recovery onto your phone by following from step 17 on this page: http://huaweig300.co...rkmod-recovery/. Then, copy a GINGERBREAD ROM to your microSD card and flash it through ClockworkMod Recovery (Power on + Volume Up to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery). Make sure it is a Gingerbread ROM!

Edited by Guest

Really appreciate your hard work beggin. I followed your guides for the San Fran so knew the ones for the G300 would be equally as straightforward to follow.

My only gripe is CWM version 4 has the charging bug and I see this has now been fixed with CWM version 5. I can rectify this myself, but maybe you could update the .exe to incorporate the fixed version 5?

Really appreciate your hard work beggin. I followed your guides for the San Fran so knew the ones for the G300 would be equally as straightforward to follow.

My only gripe is CWM version 4 has the charging bug and I see this has now been fixed with CWM version 5. I can rectify this myself, but maybe you could update the .exe to incorporate the fixed version 5?

Will do this right away. Is this version 5? http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

Guest Mattmac

I also experienced a kind of boot loop and followed a similar method to that in post 101 above. I managed to update to official ICS but I've noticed a couple of weird things that I was hoping someone could explain please...

Since the update, if I connect my phone via usb to my pc I can only see the one 'drive' as if I now only have one partition or no free space?

My phone number in the settings is completely different, even though I can get the phone to ring by dialling my usual number?

Having updated, I really don't like all the vodafone rubbish and splash. How can I easily change to a de-branded ICS please? :blink:

Guest totomorris

OneI have tried to update. Now I am getting the Vodaphone logo on startup. The phone was unlocked and shows T mobile connectivity, so it seems ist is running the Vodaphone firmware. The only doubt I had in the guide is where it said

You should see 2 devices labeled "Removable Disk"'. One will be your phones internal storage, and the other will be your phone's sdcard. Find out which one is your phone's sdcard, as this is the one you will be using.'

It doesn't tell you how to distinguish which is the SD card and which is the internal folder. Ther is also another point which tells you to remove the battery to restart the phone, but doesn't tell you to remove the cable from your computer as as it is still coneected to your computer it is recharging the phone

Guest Manx Ste

Hi beggin. I'm a complete newb, so please be gentle....

I tried the Infusion ROM but find it's not for me - yet. Is there anyway of unistalling back to stock 936 or a flashable ICS ROM repack?

I've tried to install the recovery-flash-b936.zip - but when i follow the guide ( page 7, section 17 ) it tells me that:

E:can't open /sdcard/ recovery-flash-b936.zip(bad)

Installation aborted.

It's the only problem I came up with - the guide is perfect all the way through untill this problem!

Any help would be greatly received :)

Ste

Guest saurabhkolhekar

Tuto look great..I am gona try to upgarade my Ginger Bread to ICS this weekend using these instructions . Will let you know how it goes :)

I also experienced a kind of boot loop and followed a similar method to that in post 101 above. I managed to update to official ICS but I've noticed a couple of weird things that I was hoping someone could explain please...

Since the update, if I connect my phone via usb to my pc I can only see the one 'drive' as if I now only have one partition or no free space?

My phone number in the settings is completely different, even though I can get the phone to ring by dialling my usual number?

Having updated, I really don't like all the vodafone rubbish and splash. How can I easily change to a de-branded ICS please? :blink:

Install this custom ROM - http://www.modaco.com/topic/355994-rom-ics-infusion-updated-09102012-b07/

Hi beggin. I'm a complete newb, so please be gentle....

I tried the Infusion ROM but find it's not for me - yet. Is there anyway of unistalling back to stock 936 or a flashable ICS ROM repack?

I've tried to install the recovery-flash-b936.zip - but when i follow the guide ( page 7, section 17 ) it tells me that:

E:can't open /sdcard/ recovery-flash-b936.zip(bad)

Installation aborted.

It's the only problem I came up with - the guide is perfect all the way through untill this problem!

Any help would be greatly received :)

Ste

It sounds like the file is corrupted. Try redownloading it. If it still fails, try Dazzozo's mirror - http://g300.thebronasium.com/07092012-repack-b936.zip

Edited by Guest

Guest Oresteso

I'm a bit late to the party but I wanna say that I installed my custom ROM following the long version with a linux PC and everything went butter smooth.

Thanks a lot for this guide.

Guest saurabhkolhekar

Hi,

Just one with ICS upgrade from my Ginger Bread, it all worked like magic..:)

I followed all the steps as mentioned in the guide and came across no issues. Total time it took is @1 hr end to end.

Big Thanks to Beggin :)

Not yet install any custom ROM, any suggestion which is the best custom rom at the moment for ICS ??

Guest Xalexalex

The downloads are working fine for me. Which one are you trying to download?

I tried all of them, none works.

Is it possible for those who downloaded them, to put them someplace else? (if this is ok with the owner, of course)