Is it safe to delete everything on the SD card?

Relative newbie here

My Huawei G300 didn't come with a micro SD card so I am using the 2GB one I had in the OSF.

While trying to install ICS I noticed that there are a load of files on it including Japanese Jellyfish, Swedish Spring, all the downloads from trying to install custom ROMs along with some apps.

If I copy the apps to the phone, can I safely delete everything on the card in normal use?

If so, do I then copy the apps back to the SD card?

Is it best to save everything to the SD card rather than the phone?

Under Storage settings it lists SD card - total space 1.86GB, Available 371MB, Internal SD card - Total space 2.02GB, Available 1.42GB, Intenral storage - Available 502MB.

I understand that the first one is the removable SD card, but what is the Internal SD card?

Thanks for any replies.

Guest BlueMoonRising

The G300 has built in 4 GB internal storage (2.5 GB user available), 512 MB RAM for apps and of course the external micro SD card. The internal memory is just displayed as an SD card but is actually memory chips.

Guest nvkid909

Apps will install to phone first. In settings > applications > manage apps you can choose to move them to card or back to phone. Apps with widgets should not be moved to the card as the widgets will not be available in the widget list.

When you connect the phone to USB & pull down the notification bar you can choose mass storage & it will show up on your computer, copy stuff off the card to your comp & then you can delete stuff on the card.

There is also dropbox cloud storage service. They have an android app.

Thanks. I have now moved the apps that were on the SD card to the phone, erased the SD card and moved the apps that were on the SD card back.

Where should apps be stored, SD card or phone or does it matter?

Guest BlueMoonRising

Thanks. I have now moved the apps that were on the SD card to the phone, erased the SD card and moved the apps that were on the SD card back.

Where should apps be stored, SD card or phone or does it matter?

It only really matters if you run out of main memory (the 512 MB RAM). I've never had a G300 but presumable when you choose to install on the "SD card" you have the choice between internal or external, if so I imagine the internal is quicker than the external card so use that first. I would use the external for music/photos/videos/wallpaper for instance and use the internal for apps.

As said I've never had a phone with extra internal memory so could be corrected by someone.

Guest nvkid909

External card is the one you can remove (SD card), internal is the one you cannot (phone). When you plug it in (USB), the external (SD card) will show up. That's the way mass storage works, it's using your phone as a card reader.

Sounds like you need a bigger SD card if you like trying out custom roms. There won't ne much space left on a 2gb card for anything else. If you made a nandroid backup, there's no need to keep it on the card; you can move it on to your computer for safe keeping (the nandroid backup will be a folder within clockwork mod backup folder, & named with a date).

If you want to restore your nandroid backup, move it back. I keep my nandroid backups or other custom roms in the cloud (dropbox account), so they're available to me even when away from the computer.

Edited by nvkid909

Thanks.

I don't use the phone for storing music and rarely photos.

I tried to install ICS, but the update failed when I tried to install it so I am going to wait and get it OTA if they ever release it.