O2 UK offering free wi-fi, even for non-O2 customers

Guest Zarch1972

Guest Zarch1972

O2 UK are offering access to free Wi-Fi hotspots, even if you're not an O2 customer!

http://o2wifi.co.uk/

We're launching a hotspot network called O2 Wifi. It's free. And you don’t even have to be an O2 customer to use it. Even if your mobile’s with another network or you get your home broadband from someone else, everyone's welcome.

Our wifi will give you speeds up to ten times faster than a normal mobile connection. So it'll be as good for YouTube as it is for email. It’ll be simple and safe to use.

Once you’ve signed-up, that’s it. No passwords or usernames to connect. And it won’t eat into your mobile's data allowance. Just quick wifi, whenever you're near one of our hotspots.

By the end of the year we'll have set-up thousands of hotspots. And by 2013, we'll have 14,000 hotspots across the UK.

You'll be able to use our wifi in shops, cafes, bars and when you're on the street. Then train stations, airports, shopping centres, libraries, parks and stadiums.

I have signed up to this, but was a little disappointed with the amount of hotspots in my area, although from the blurb, O2 hope to increase the number of hotspots in the future. Maybe you'll have better luck/coverage? But to this point, i've been unable to test the connectivity process as my nearest hotspot wasn't that near. :(

There appears to be a 10gb/month fair use policy in place as well as a 5 device limit.

Also, be aware of the small print before signing up.

Why do we take your details? So we know who's using the service. This helps us make it better. To use our Wifi for free, you accept that from time to time we'll send you offers or information (either from us or carefully chosen third parties). We may send them by email or text. If you don't want them, you can unsubscribe from the service at any time. This info is also important for security. For instance, if you want to change your account in future (like adding more devices), we can use this data to check that it's you trying to make the changes, not someone else. Don't worry, we'll protect your information in line with our privacy policy.

Full O2 Wifi Terms and Conditions

O2 Wifi FAQ

Is it too good to be true? You rarely get something for nothing these days, but you never know, although the cynic in me does worry that they may have an ulterior motive in fronting a data gathering/advertising exercise? :)

We're partnering with businesses like coffee shops, department stores, supermarkets and restaurants. We're helping them lay on a free wifi service for customers. But we're also helping them find out more about those customers and reach them better with more effective marketing.

But saying that, the coverage in some places looks very good. Central London for example, looks very well covered with 52 hotspots within a 1 mile radius of Trafalgar Square! (Costa, Bella Italia, Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Strada, Nicholsons to name but a few).

25-Sep-2012_o2-wifi-map.jpg

What do you make of it all? Do you think the service has a future? Let us know how you get on and what the coverage is like in your area!

[Via: O2 Wifi website]

Click here to view the item

There are two in Huddersfield; one in Kingsgate, which isn't somewhere you want to be whipping a tablet out; and Maccy D's, which isn't somewhere you want to be, full stop. Ah well, perhaps I can loiter outside or something.

There's one near me... but it's 9.3 miles away and it's at McD which I never go!

But for Norwich alone, up to the 2nd ring road, there are 13 hotspots. Might be handy someday.

Guest glossywhite

Back when this OpenZone/<insert company name with extortionate, convoluted WiFi scheme here>, nonsense was a viable proposition, 3G was only JUST starting to emerge... and not even on dongles or tethering (2001-2003 ish). WiFi is EVERYWHERE, FREE! Why is this supposed to appear to stand out as some sort of amazing offer? They've only missed the marketing boat by... ohhh, 9 years or so?

Edited by glossywhite

Yes, but this is a free service. Personally I don't like free public networks, but for people with limited data, it could be a useful free way of getting their devices online.

Back when this OpenZone/<insert company name with extortionate, convoluted WiFi scheme here>, nonsense was a viable proposition, 3G was only JUST starting to emerge... and not even on dongles or tethering (2001-2003 ish). WiFi is EVERYWHERE, FREE! Why is this supposed to appear to stand out as some sort of amazing offer? They've only missed the marketing boat by... ohhh, 9 years or so?

Guest Zarch1972

Yes, but this is a free service. Personally I don't like free public networks, but for people with limited data, it could be a useful free way of getting their devices online.

Agreed, not everyone has "all you can eat" type data plans. :)

Also, if you're inside certain buildings the 3G signal can be tripe, so a free Wi-Fi option could be very welcome.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Worth a shot for a PAYG Orange customer. I've already signed up to BTs version but you get Oranges version installed anyway which gives me multiple options.

As well as the O2, Debenhams and Macs local sites our local Asda and a local pub has it as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.