How's Netflix for Android working out for you right now?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Netflix is pretty cool. I have to confess that - in the UK at least - the selection of movies available is pretty rubbish, but it's a nice idea and a nice thing to be able to use from your Android device. It seems however that there is considerable discontent around the latest Android release.

A quick look at the comments on Google Play store, noting the wealth of 1 star reviews, revals that all is not well... for example...

Thanks for ruining my morning. All I heard from my son was Daddy, the movie is broken, over and over and over again. Try out your updates before you release them;it's common sense.

...or...

So you update the app saying you fixed bug and now it won't work. I'm wasting my time and money trying to stay loyal to you guys. Admit that you screwed up and fix it already. It refuses to even load on me ICS tablet. Just goes back to the main screen. Do you guys even look at the recent feedback?

Ouch. Sorting the comments in chronological order 8 of the latest 10 comments are 1 star complaints.

I've tried the app on a couple of devices here and it seems to work, so I wonder if it's a region thing, a particular device / CPU thing or something else? I've reached out to Netflix for official comment but i'm interested to hear how you're getting on too!

Click here to view the item

It seems to work OK here but the video quality isn't up to much IMO. It's annoying that they offer HD video on so many other devices but not via the Android app.

Guest rikwebb

i posted this as my review :)

Rik - September 20, 2012 - EeePad Transformer TF101 with version 2.0.0 build 635

For Those having Problems

there is a way, I eventually found it - -------------------------------- .. If you experience the Android Error 11003 immediately or intermittently after opening the Netflix app on your Android device, this is typically due to a system setting preventing the Netflix app from functioning. Follow the steps below to resolve. Confirm the System Settings on your Android device. Navigate to Settings. Under System, choose Developer options. Under Apps, uncheck Do not keep activities. Re-enter the Netflix application and try playing again.

fixes problems with the Transformer TF101

Rik

Guest StuMcBill

Netflix works great for me on both my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 devices.

I use it coupled with the Unblock-us dns service and SetDNS app on my Android devices to access the US version of the service for a much better selection than the UK version.

£6 per month for Netflix and £4 per month (dependent on exchange rate) for Unblock-us = Great Netflix selection.

Never had any problems with the app running on my devices, sure the interface is a wee bit slow and clunky at times, but once the movie is running, and has been running for a few mins, the quality of the streams is great!

Now, back to Breaking Bad! :-)

Guest Mark Dearlove

and I agree with StuMcBill - used with a VPN solution makes it a whole lot better as the US content is pretty decent. Same I can't use VPN on my smart TV!

I've been considering getting Netflix but decided to wait until they get more content. I did have lovefilm but cancelled that as I don't think the service was worth the money especially since there is no streaming app on android. Netflix has this app but not the content so both services have their major issues so have no interest in them right now. This app not working issue has just added to the reasons why I don't have Netflix.

Guest Simon O

LOVEFiLM > Netflix

And 'LOVEFiLM Instant' is coming to Android soon, so I've been told. The Kindle Fire version of the app has streaming so it won't be too long before it hits the standard Android version.

Guest PaulOBrien

and I agree with StuMcBill - used with a VPN solution makes it a whole lot better as the US content is pretty decent. Same I can't use VPN on my smart TV!

Can you specify the DNS settings given out by your router, or even set static DNS on your TV? If so you could use the http://www.unblock-us.com service which works fantastically...

P

Guest Mark Dearlove

Not on the BT Home Hub Paul - I would have to buy another router unfortunately. I may well do that in the future but need to wait until after BT install Infinity where I am.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.