EXCLUSIVE: More details on LG's forthcoming Nexus

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

More details are starting to appear about the forthcoming LG Nexus device! Some of which are, well, rather shocking. :)

Although it's still not known whether it will be the ONLY Nexus to get a release, various sources are starting to fill us in on the specs. So far, we've had confirmed...

• The device is based on the Optimus G but doesn't look the same
  • Updated Android release (currently 4.2)
  • Quad Core Snapdragon S4 processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • 1280x768 True-HD IPS screen
  • On screen soft keys (of course)
  • 8 Megapixel Camera
  • No microSD slot
  • 8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially)
  • Non-removable battery
  • Wireless charging built in
  • The retail name of the device is yet to be decided.

Yup, you read that right... no microSD and max 16GB. Oh Google! :blink:

Launch is targeted for mid-November, so there's plenty of time for more details to emerge. :) I'll be updating the post as we hear more so stay tuned!

P

Click here to view the item

Guest Zarch1972

Good Grief. We can only hope there ARE other Nexus vendors in the pipeline. 16gb and no MicroSD is a complete FAIL.

What size screen is the 1280x768, same as the Optimus G at 4.7"?

Guest Matchstick

Google want you to use their content ecosystem and limiting onboard storage is how they seem to have decided to encourage users to do that.

The fact that most of that ecosystem isn't actually available outside the US doesn't seem to have registered as a problem with Google yet...

Guest pellen

Google want you to use their content ecosystem and limiting onboard storage is how they seem to have decided to encourage users to do that.

The fact that most of that ecosystem isn't actually available outside the US doesn't seem to have registered as a problem with Google yet...

Then they really should open up their ecosystem to more countries...It's quite boring to just have access to their apps nowadays :(

Guest rferrett

Seriously Google's war on sd cards and obsession with palpably insufficient internal storage is baffling.

They do realise that in most of the world always on high speed unmetered connectivity doesn't exist and the cloud isn't even nearly ready for day to day right?

Guest PaulOBrien

Good Grief. We can only hope there ARE other Nexus vendors in the pipeline. 16gb and no MicroSD is a complete FAIL.

What size screen is the 1280x768, same as the Optimus G at 4.7"?

Ah yes, meant to include that, 4.7".

P

Guest lordgoata

Lack of removable battery might kill it for me. I've not used a stock battery yet, as they are always so bloody under powered - but then again no information on what the battery capacity is yet either :)

I'd be astonished to ever see a microSD slot on a Nexus device, so that doesn't surprise me much.

Guest Azurren

Hmm.. 8gb and 16gb models?

Do I smell a similar pricing model to the Nexus 7?

Does this mean I will finally be able to afford a nexus phone?

I, for one, am actually enticed by this news

Guest rferrett

I don't even get the ecosystem line anyway. Half the reason I keep running out of space on my Nexus 7 is because of games I bought from the play store.

16gig is already not enough and will get worse as games, apps, etc get bigger. Just my YouTube watch later cache is often over two gigabytes

Guest PaulOBrien

Hmm.. 8gb and 16gb models?

Do I smell a similar pricing model to the Nexus 7?

Does this mean I will finally be able to afford a nexus phone?

I, for one, am actually enticed by this news

Too high spec to be super cheap with a quad core S4!

P

Guest mamoulian

Ugh. Having problems with the 16GB Nexus.

I don't want someone to decide how much storage I should have, nor overcharge me for it.

SD card.

Always.

The Note 2 is my backup plan.

Guest AlphaVision

Well I am currently using a Blade that has 160MB internal storage and a 4G SD card that has more than 1G free on it. Why would people complain about the storage. It is more than enough to have 8 or 16GB. Unless you want to copy all your music and movie collection to your phone???

Guest T39andcounting

It's been a long time (if ever!) since I've wanted an LG phone, and if those specs are right, it's going to be a while longer! Other than a minor processor and ram boost it doesn't seem to add much over the Galaxy Nexus.

Guest Zarch1972

Unless you want to copy all your music and movie collection to your phone???

When a) Google Music isn't available in the UK or b)you don't have an unlimited data plan to stream everything you have to.

Throw a couple of gb of music on there, not to mention the odd Titanium and CWM backup...... it soon adds up.

I suppose that's the classic reason for having a low internal amount plus MicroSD, choice. You're happy with 8gb, I need 32gb. :)

Guest bbevan

Thanks

Well I am currently using a Blade that has 160MB internal storage and a 4G SD card that has more than 1G free on it. Why would people complain about the storage. It is more than enough to have 8 or 16GB. Unless you want to copy all your music and movie collection to your phone???

That's the difference between a Blade and top spec phone like a Nexus, people do want to have movies, music and games, some of which are almost 2GB each.

Guest Kushan

One critical piece of information is missing: The price.

If this was a £400 or £500 device like the Galaxy Nexus, then yeah I can see the issue. However, if it's £150? That changes things.

Guest iamthecosmos

Presuming this to be true, I guess this means we are getting something closer to the AT&T Optimus G variant with the humpless 8mp cam, as opposed to the 13mp with hump Korean variant, which I might add comes with 32GB! :o

http://www.engadget....g-att-hands-on/

Though having said that, it sounds like it may look different to the Optimus G. Awesome internals overall, but it really is a shame if 16GB is the max!

Oh, and also presuming it's based on the Optimus G, that will hopefully mean we get the notification light also! :)

Guest Azurren

Too high spec to be super cheap with a quad core S4!

P

Well if that's the case I just don't see this selling.. I mean, techies like us will avoid it due to the lack of features and the general smart phone customer base will also avoid it due to others being "better" (Because we all know the higher the number the better the phone is :P)

Guest le_lutin

No microSD is mental. Microsd slot is something that google should be using as a weapon to beat the competition with.

You can buy a 64gb micro sd card these days for 40 quid.

Apple charge their users 150 quid for choosing the 64gb iphone 5 over the 16gb one.

They charge 150 quid for something that costs android users less than 40.

Guest razzmataz1478

These specs just don't match up. No micro SD slot? I know this phone is aimed at developers, but this is still available to the general public, c'mon Google...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.