Fastboot for Grand X

Guest kliskobg

Guest kliskobg

Hi all,

I am trying to test CWM but don't know how to get into fastboot mode. When I try adb reboot bootloader, I get nothing - phone reboots into normal (user) mode. Powering on with VOL- doesn't boot the phone, red LED lights up, the screen remains blank but fastboot devices does not give any response.

After rooting the phone, I made dd copy of system (/dev/block/mmcblk0p3), boot (/dev/block/mmcblk0p2) and recovery (/dev/block/mmcblk0p1) partitions but I am not sure if that is enough to have a safe backup. Any suggestions on that?

I built CWM with recovery builder (from stock recovery I pulled out) and would like to boot into it without flashing it (using fastboot boot recovery.img). Do I need to use NVFlash or what? Anyone knows if the bootloader is locked? How can I check if it is (without bricking the phone :D )?

For those who are more familiar with these things, below is partitions layout. Is there is any other interesting info to pull from the phone so more knowledgeable people can give us hints how to get recovery ported for this phone?

mount

rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0

debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0

none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,nodelalloc,data=writeback 0 0

/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,nodelalloc,data=writeback 0 0

/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/MDM /mnt/modem ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /zteconfig ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:11 /mnt/sdcard2 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:11 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/sdcard2/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:33 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:33 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

/dev/block/dm-0 /mnt/asec/com.mantano.reader.android.lite-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block/dm-1 /mnt/asec/com.stt.android-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

shell@android:/ $ ls -l /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/

ls -l /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 APP -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 CAC -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 LNX -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 MDA -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 MSC -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 PER -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 SOS -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 UDA -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p9

lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-06-28 11:51 USP -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6

Google found for me that following are mappings into androind partitions
 APP -> system

CAC -> cache

LNX -> boot.img

MDA -> Unknown

MSC -> Misc (bootloader commands and other misc stuff )

PER -> usually a fat partition containing sensor calibration etc. - per device provisioned.

SOS -> recovery.img

UDA -> /data - "user data area"

USP -> Staging

Guest kliskobg

I uploaded the stock recovery to recovery builder which generated CWM from the link in CoaBalboa's post. I'd like to try to boot into it without flashing it the phone but haven't been able to do so. If any one can help, I am open for suggestions.

From what I learned, LG O2X is also tegra 2 based so I tried to get into APX mode following this thread but nothing really happens when I connect the phone to PC. I am out of ideas what to do, so I'll go with what tillaz has suggested and PM Sebastian404. Tillaz, thanks for the tip.

edit: cannot send PM to Sebastian404 :(

Edited by kliskobg

according to Chinese version of xda forums, root & recovery are achieved

Willing to try, but seem that recovery are all in Chinese.

Maybe someone can translate in english

Downloaded files, and uploaded here

Files included:

zteU970_Tools.exe (another root method)

recovery-off-open-adb.img

Instructions are on Cninese XDA site (use Goggle translate)

Edited by rassha

Guest CoaBalboa

Someone need to test it...

edit:

copied from topic:

i just figured that i have a phone with Tegra chipset, so can't use your ROM

Edited by CoaBalboa

Guest bartasrex

according to Chinese version of xda forums, root & recovery are achieved

Willing to try, but seem that recovery are all in Chinese.

Maybe someone can translate in english

Downloaded files, and uploaded here

Files included:

zteU970_Tools.exe (another root method)

recovery-off-open-adb.img

Instructions are on Cninese XDA site (use Goggle translate)

This is where we should look, Chinese u970 is almost identical to ours Grand X, it have tegra but stock clocked at 1,2ghz and 1gb of ram.

There is even a MIUI version for U970 with instruction on how to root & install it from recovery, but all is in Chinese and I don't know if its safe to do it on our Grand X, if there would be any hardware issues because of its differences.

Miui for U970

Edited by bartasrex

Guest bartasrex

tried to flash the recovery from MIUI site but when i booted to it there is no back light and i can only navigate by pressing down the - vol key, but i cant enter any option, pressing power button to chose does nothing. could anyone provide a stock recovery form his phone so i can flash it?

Guest killar_aka_arabu

here Download

p.s. this is just rar archive with recovery what i adb pulled from my stock rom.

can you provide link to site where you downloaded custom recovery?

Edited by killar_aka_arabu

Guest bartasrex

here Download

p.s. this is just rar archive with recovery what i adb pulled from my stock rom.

can you provide link to site where you downloaded custom recovery?

could you help me with it? how can i push it to my phone?

Guest killar_aka_arabu

there are thread with stock rom

download it and put to sdcard

then turn off the phone and conect to usb cable

when phone showing charging battery, open cmd and locate adb files, then type

adb reboot recovery

then apply update from sdcard and choose file

Guest bartasrex

did as you said and now it wont even boot to recovery. good thing is that system is still working, phone is booting and is fully usable, but without recovery i cant install anything and do factory reset;/

Guest bartasrex

this isn't working too, my version is form uk, and the system is named GEN_UK_GRANDX1.0.0B02, mayby i should find a system for uk device?

i have the following information after trying to flash this rom you provided:

failed to verify the whole-file signature

signature verification failed

installation aborted

Edited by bartasrex

Guest killar_aka_arabu

just now i have verified zte support from UK, and unluckelly, they not provide Downloads for this device(((

only russian support have alvaiable downloads for this device(

meybe try to unpack only build.prop file from /system folder, open in notepad and change this -> GEN_AP_P943HV1.0.0B10 to this -> GEN_UK_GRANDX1.0.0B02

save and put it back in archive to /system folder (delete old build.prop and paste new)

Edited by killar_aka_arabu

Guest kliskobg

bartasrex, here you can find recovery I pulled from my phone (mine is not from UK either, look at my location):

http://jenkins.cyano.../recovery/7088/

inputrecovery.img should be the original one, while recovery.img is supposed to be CWM recovery build based on factory recovery. I have't tried flashing any of these back to my phone.

Edited by kliskobg