MK808, general info + RK30xx kernel sources...

Guest omegamoon

Guest omegamoon

I ordered a MK808 last week from geekbuying. Here are some interesting things I found on the Net:

• Rooting the MK808, see here
  • Firmware upgrade, see here
  • Same device(?), this time called "Primal GV-20", see here
  • Same device(?), this time called "Kimdecent Droid Stick T10", see here and here
  • Unpacking the MK808 image, see here

It seems no kernel sources are available yet. I couldn't find any kernel sources for whatever RK3066 device. Some work has to be done here. I asked geekbuying for the name of the manufacturer, since I couldn't find any info on the whereabouts of the device. If I know the origin of the device a request for the source code can be made.

It tried to get the kernel config from the stock kernel, but that didn't work (yet)

Would be fun to hack this device :)

Edited by omegamoon

Guest omegamoon

In relation to the Rockchip RK30xx kernel sources I found 1 (and only one!) reference to kernel sources on the Net. The dutch company qware sells the QW TB-9718D tablet. Like the MK808 this tablet has a RK30xx CPU, according to this license document found on the Qware website:

Specifically, the following part of this product is subject to the GNU GPL:

rockchip-mach

arch/arm/mach-rk30/

rockchip-plat

arch/arm/plat-rk

rockchip-sound-soc

sound/soc/rk29

rockchip-video

drivers/video/

rockchip-ipp

drivers/staging/rk29/ipp

rockchip-mmc

drivers/mmc/host/

rockchip- media

drivers/media/video

ion

drivers/gpu/ion/

dwc_otg

drivers/usb/dwc_otg

rockchip-other-drivers

drivers/input

drivers/mfd

drivers/headset_observe

drivers/power

drivers/adc/plat

drivers/spi

drivers/char

drivers/watchdog

drivers/net

drivers/regulator

drivers/smc

drivers/misc

drivers/tty

I have sent them a request to provide the RK30xx kernel sources. They have released the Allwinner A10 kernel sources before, so I hope they take the GNU GPL license seriously by providing the RK30xx source as well. I contacted a few Chinese manufacturers as well, but the chances of success in China are very low I think.

To join forces, anyone of you interested in kernel sources, please sent Qware an email as well. I've sent following request to [email protected]:

I hereby request the Linux Kernel source code for the QW TB-9718D(586723) being sold by Qware, according to section 3 of the GNU General Public License v2 under which the Linux kernel the device is based on is licensed. The Android platform runs a Linux platform. According to the GNU General Public License, as soon as the binary code has been published (which it has by means of the release of the QW TB-9718D), Qware is obliged to instantly release the source code (including any custom modifications) on request.This includes all the source code of all drivers for the device.

Parts of the QW TB-9718D linux kernel which are under the GNU license are already correctly stated on your website in following documentation: http://www.qware.nl/_resources/downloads/QW%20TB-9718D_GNU_GPL.pdf.

Could you please provide a download link to the kernel source code?

Thanks in advance

Guest omegamoon

No reply from any of the manufacturers, but the good news is that I found reference to a rk30xx tablet here. It's the bq Edison tablet and the kernel source can be found here. Now I only need to wait for my MK808 to arrive to see if that's enough to build a custom kernel :)