broke my screen, any options to fix?

Guest neologan

Guest neologan

it's been broken for months now, but perhaps i can bring it back to life. The screen is cracked fully in a million bits, i'm wondering if it's possible to get a replacement anywhere in the UK. It was one of the first with an IPS screen, not sure if that makes it harder.

Any info on this would be most appreciated! Can post a pic up if you need to see the damage to advise.

Guest neologan

An update: Turns out the actual tft is smashed, too, not just the touch screen part. Anyone know if that is removable, i could then buy a damaged model where the tft still works and try to merge the two. So far i can't see how to do this.

Guest apeman69

There's a youtube video. Google 'ZTE Blade taredown' and you should be able to find it. You can buy the digitiser and LCD from ebay. You may need to use a rom that supports both TFT & OLED screens but I think most do now anyway. You'll be looking at £40+ for both so you may be lucky and buy a phone for cheaper then transplant the pcb if your phone's contents & configuration is important to you.

These phones are simple to take apart and replace bits, just be careful and it'll be ok.

Edited by apeman69

Guest apeman69

I've done 7 or 8 LCD and/or digitiser swaps and it is easy. When splitting the middle housing from the front housing don't hack away with a screwdriver and you won't damage the speaker. How do you think ZTE repair centres or Mr X at your local market fixes phones? They don't have any special tools or techniques. Phones are assembled in a specific way and can thus be disassembled and reassembled.

When splitting the middle housing from the digitiser you can prise them apart using your thumbnail. Hardly a difficult procedure.

When removing the LCD it is attached by 2 strips of tape, one either side running from top to bottom. Gently sliding a craft knife between where the LCD lays flat against the PCB will allow you to sever the bond and eventually remove the LCD.

Take your time, be gentle and work out how things are connected before taking any action and it really is easy.

These are much simpler to work on than others I've butchered.

Edited by apeman69

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 7 or 8 LCD and/or digitiser swaps and it is easy. When splitting the middle housing from the front housing don't hack away with a screwdriver and you won't damage the speaker. How do you think ZTE repair centres or Mr X at your local market fixes phones? They don't have any special tools or techniques. Phones are assembled in a specific way and can thus be disassembled and reassembled.

When splitting the middle housing from the digitiser you can prise them apart using your thumbnail. Hardly a difficult procedure.

When removing the LCD it is attached by 2 strips of tape, one either side running from top to bottom. Gently sliding a craft knife between where the LCD lays flat against the PCB will allow you to sever the bond and eventually remove the LCD.

Take your time, be gentle and work out how things are connected before taking any action and it really is easy.

Having removed the screen from mine I can say that it is not too hard to do. The instructions above are great. One thing I would add is to make sure that when you take it apart you do it in a room that does not have any carpets because it will save you a lot of hassle keeping dust out of the screen (it is very annoying when there are specks of dust between the LCD and the screen cover).

I replaced my digitizer too. My digitizer is Focaltech, not Synaptics. But my touchscreen only works on Swedish Snow,and Moldovan Mile. What is the problem? Kernel is wrong? How can I make work on CM10,or other ROMs?

Guest ZTEBlade0

Blade Teardown FTFY

Maybe look for an alternative repair like dud speakers etc so you can have a mashup of bloke blades

Hello, at last i found someone who has gone through that process. I am waiting for a new display to replace my old one in Blade. I noticed the tapes, how about when the new display is installed, what should i do? Do i need new tapes, or should i just "place the new display and assemble the phone? Will it be stable, if no new tapes are used?

Guest apeman69

Every one I have done has not needed new tape. There has always been enough sticky left to attach the LCD screen firmly. ZTE appear to have used a robust and good quality tape here. The LCD is not heavy and there isn't much room for it to move. As long as you can't move it by gently trying with your fingers then it should be stuck well enough. If you need or want to stick it very securely then a small piece of cheap double sided tape will do it. Obviously don't press down on the LCD screen when you're putting it in place, press on the silver frame around the LCD.

Guest ZTEBlade0

Every one I have done has not needed new tape. There has always been enough sticky left to attach the LCD screen firmly. ZTE appear to have used a robust and good quality tape here. The LCD is not heavy and there isn't much room for it to move. As long as you can't move it by gently trying with your fingers then it should be stuck well enough. If you need or want to stick it very securely then a small piece of cheap double sided tape will do it. Obviously don't press down on the LCD screen when you're putting it in place, press on the silver frame around the LCD.

I was afraid you were going to say that. The tape on mine actually got ripped apart as i took the display off and only some torn pieces remain. But isn't that kind of sloppy, using the leftovers of the tape to connect the new display?

Guest apeman69

I believe that there would be minimal movement of the LCD if no tape was ever applied. However, as previously stated, there is normally (in my experience) sufficient glue residue to facillitate adhesion of the back of the LCD to the circuit board. It really does take a very small amount of the original tape to secure the LCD and if the PCB feels sticky at all then it will probably be enough. Some sticky is useful to reduce possible pressure/stress on the LCD connector too.

Where the LCD mates with the digitiser/front housing the shape of the apperture for the LCD to occupy is such that there would be minimal significant movement unless you tend to shake the phone like you're playing maracas.

If you're convinced you have removed all adhesion from the original tape then just get a roll of any cheap double sided tape and use that. Crap from the pound shop will do the job. However, replacing with new, fully sticky tape might mean you will have to remove and reposition the LCD a couple of times to get it to stick exactly in the right place. If you've tried anything like this before you'll know what I'm getting at: much easier to reposition when the tape is not super-sticky.

Stop worrying and get on with it. It's a 20 minute job to replace the LCD from start to finish and even if you have to add tape in the future it's no biggie.

Guest ZTEBlade0

Thanks for the info. Yep its 20 minutes job, but its now about 2 months i am trying to get a new display! The Honk Kong package somehow got lost and i lost 40 days in waiting, after i got refunded, i am now buying from a European seller that i found after all this time... really got on my nerves.