UK Vodafone ICS - B936 released OTA !

Guest tcpaulh

Just had a text from Vodafone to say I can update over air to ics but I would need to go back to ginger bread first, tried this yesterday and no go. question's are

1) As there is conflicting reports about the new ICS is it worth it?

2) If so how the devil do I get Ginger bread to load when im running the S3 rom.....just get install aborted through cwm

Edited by bryfly

Guest Chris Banks

Trying to install the 20.56mb update U8815_Vodafone_B895but I get the following message after rebooting:

E:Error in /sdcard/HwOUC/update.zip

(status 7)

formatting /cache...

Installation aborted.

any ideas?

Guest maritimesbob

Just got a text too "congratulations, you can now upgrade to ICS" or something like that. Did make me chuckle, considering most of us have played with ICS on g300s for several months now.

I got rid of my g300 a few weeks back anyway. Vodafone must assume I still have my g300!

I have always found ICS to be very laggy despite the heroic attempts of our devs to make it better. Hardware-wise surely the phone is more capable. My two year and a half year old Desire HD is flying along with Jellybean CM10.

Guest jordanclarke69

When I go to about phone:

firmware upgrade it says current version B892

update version B895

should I upgrade? and what would i be upgrading to?

Trying to install the 20.56mb update U8815_Vodafone_B895but I get the following message after rebooting:

any ideas?

I get the status error in Maps odex god knows what's going on i'm hope voda can help.

Wish someone had the 20MB update.zip.

Guest Redflake

When I go to about phone:

firmware upgrade it says current version B892

update version B895

should I upgrade? and what would i be upgrading to?

Thats gingerbread with the Huawei backup app.

Once youv'e got B895 you'll be offered the ICS update.

Guest synchropair

I have downloaded and installed both updates on a bog standard g300 apart from it being unlocked. It has now been sitting on the Huawei screen for 10 mins. What should i do now?

Guest Maximus9

I got rid of my g300 a few weeks back anyway. Vodafone must assume I still have my g300!

I have always found ICS to be very laggy despite the heroic attempts of our devs to make it better. Hardware-wise surely the phone is more capable. My two year and a half year old Desire HD is flying along with Jellybean CM10.

That's good summarising. ICS is laggy on the G300, no metter what version, and official one also has all the bugs that people mentioned.

Yet everybody wants to update to ICS just because.

I will keep Gingerbread on mine until a hardware accelerated ICs is released, if ever. If not, I need every bit of speed, I find it leggy as it is.

Guest MrPuddington
That's good summarising. ICS is laggy on the G300, no metter what version, and official one also has all the bugs that people mentioned. Yet everybody wants to update to ICS just because.

People want ICS, because it has new features, it is easier to use, and it looks much better. And they expect it to work roughly as well as GB, and not to contain any serious bugs. Given that ICS is now a year old (more than well done), I do not think that these are outrageous demands. In fact the G300 should have launched with ICS, and maybe customers assumed that this little problem would be fixed soon (as promised).

Funny enough I find that ICS Fusion works quite well. It still has a few issues, but nothing that stops me from using it. Battery life has improved, too.

I will keep Gingerbread on mine until a hardware accelerated ICs is released, if ever. If not, I need every bit of speed, I find it leggy as it is.

It is laggy as it is, and there is really no reason for that except incompetence of the developers. Every other device seems to be doing fine with ICS. Yes, it needs a little more memory, yes, some of the effects need a bit more power, but other devices cope just fine, and people are happy.

Huawei (and Vodafone) on the other hand really botched it up. They are easily out-developed here by a bunch of dedicated hobbyists without access to drivers or source code. I think my next device is going to be a Nexus... it seems Google is the only company in the game that dares to promise quality software.

Guest Rico_89

ICS has always been butter smooth for me. I know for some it is laggy but for me GB was laggy so when I installed ICS several months ago my G300 felt like a different phone, sure there are a few bugs, most of which can be fixed easily but remember not all of us experience a laggy ICS.

Daz has managed to get ICS running very smoothly. Much smoother than anything else currently released. The hardware is certainly capable of lag free ICS.

Edited by fr0do