LG planning to sell Nexus 4 at €599 outside Google Play?

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

The MoDaCo News Team are starting to see reports that independent retailers like Phone House in Europe are refusing to stock the Nexus 4 as LG wont let them have it at the Google Play Store price.

Phone House España, the Spanish arm of Carphone Warehouse, has stated on it's Facebook page that it is refusing to stock the Nexus 4, as LG want to charge a Recommended Retail Price of €599 Euros (£479.58 according to xe.com) per device.

phes.png

Google Play mentions this regarding purchasing devices:

Devices on Google Play is currently only available to customers in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, United Kingdom, and United States.

So if you don't live in these countries, you can currently expect to pay nearly twice the cost for a Nexus 4, compared to someone who lives in the above countries and can purchases their phone from the Play Store. This also explains the crazy contract prices we are seeing for the Nexus 4, just because you have not purchased directly from the Google Play Store.

Are you affected by this? let us know below!

[via: Phone House España]

Click here to view the item

Guest 3shirts

I am very fortunate to be in the UK and able to purchase from the Play Store. This seems very immoral behaviour from LG and there is no way I'd be buying if I could not get it through Google.

Assuming they aren't making a loss from Play Store sales, this increased price outside it is just profiteering.

Guest jonmall1441

I am one of the people affected by this. I am either getting it through a contact in the UK or by getting a UK address from my Post Office and purchasing it online (using a proxy or VPN).

This seems like a very dodgy move by LG. I would understand a €50 premium (shops need to make a profit), but double the price? No thank you.

Guest comicbookguy

Its hardly "amoral" for a manufacturer to quote/sell at an RRP while one vendor sells at a heavily discounted price! Its just unusual to hear about the discounted price first, before release......

Its also far from unusual for a vendor to get heavy bulk discount, and I'm guessing Google bought a lot of handsets.

Guest everett_psycho
So its a ploy by Google to create lots of sim only customers before Xmas and reduce carrier power then....

I assume they would want to do this to take operators out of the equation and stop them delaying any updates.

Still it's a bit mad, to have such a big difference, I'll be spreading the word to any friends up for renewal to suggest sim free as an option instead of blowing to much on a monthly contract.

Guest comicbookguy

I assume they would want to do this to take operators out of the equation and stop them delaying any updates.

Still it's a bit mad, to have such a big difference, I'll be spreading the word to any friends up for renewal to suggest sim free as an option instead of blowing to much on a monthly contract.

I did it 2 and a half years ago after my upgrades went to 2 years. Best thing I ever did, except maybe converting to Android.....

Guest Liamness

Google aren't playing by the usual rules of the carriers. Usually handset makers are discouraged to cheaply sell unlocked phones directly to customers; this is why you can only buy a sim-free iPhone 4S for just about what it would cost over the length of a 12 month contract, for example. It's a relatively new paradigm, buying an expensive smartphone upfront, then getting a cheap monthly contract, but probably one that will work out better for the consumer, making their choices more transparently and switching easier. It does seem a little unfair on those who don't have access to Google's grand experiments though... as other have said they will have the option of fishing around on ebay, if they aren't bothered about warranties and so on.

Guest Davidoff59

The consumers finally get to hold the clean end of the stick while carriers hold the shitty end of it.

I hope the sim free version sells by the train load

Its also far from unusual for a vendor to get heavy bulk discount, and I'm guessing Google bought a lot of handsets.

Does this mean we can get the phone at Google store only till stocks last? How long will the £270 price stick?

Guest Liamness

Nah, it'll be like the Galaxy Nexus. They'll maintain stock and keep selling it until a successor comes out. By 'bulk' he means they'll have committed to buy a very large amount of phones from LG, numbering in the millions.

Guest Igniztion

It's listed for ~3900 NOK in the cheapest stores in Norway. That's about £430...

AFAIK the UK VAT is 20% and the Norwegian one is 25%, so the price diff is obviously far more than taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.