Rerooting - On Stock Velcom 940 Build

Guest sjb2016

Guest sjb2016

Hi All,

I recently got the Ascend G300. It was at stock Vodafone 892 (GB). I wanted ICS but heard bad things about the Vodafone OTA (UK) update, so went this the Velcom ROM, 940. However, I'm having issues reception, I lose all bars in areas I wouldn't expect, and I get no connectivity unless I reboot (sometime going into airplane mode and coming out again fixes issue). Anyway, I want to get back to Gingerbread on Vodafone. How can I do this? I thought I had a plan (use CWM to get to Vodafone official ICS, then use official roll back tool from Huawei). However, I cannot root my phone. I'm on a Mac and I always get the following error:

write: No space left on device

When I run the g300-root-mac.zip scripts as per the instructions here:

http://huaweig300.co...m-scratch/root/

If I enable USB debugging and do not put the device into USB storage mode, my Mac will not see the internal memory on the phone or the SD card. This may be part of the problem, but I do not know how to fix it (obviously ;) )

Any thoughts?

I've got an IMEI back up created before I first applied the Velcom ICS update, is that still 'valid'? Can I install CWM without root and go back to an official Vodafone GB ROM?

Any help, much appreciated!

Regards,

Sam

Edited by sjb2016

Guest sjb2016

Thanks for the tip. However, I think I need CWM to use a different kernel, is that correct? As I cannot root and I don't already have CWM installed, I think that is a non-starter, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks again,

Sam

Oh sorry :(

Have you tried the middle package? I thought that was meant to let you downgrade as well as upgrade.

Borrow a PC. The rooting/ unlock script is pretty quick/ painless.

Guest sjb2016

The official middle pacjage from huawei doesn't work' it requires a 936 or 937 build. It just says update failed when I run it. Is there more general middle package available?

Guest sjb2016

Thanks. I'll have a look. Am I corerect that the rooting here is only for IMEI backup? So could run middle package without root(I have an IMEI backup from when I rooted at stock Vodafone GB)?

ADDED: I think upon additional reading in the previously linked thread that I may have answered my question. Even to use those middle packages, I must be rooted.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. I'm sure I'll have more questions, and hopefully can come back in a few days and document exactly what I did.

Edited by sjb2016

Guest sjb2016

Hi All,

I've solved the problem. So, for anybody else that has this issue, the thin end of the wedge approach works. I had to wipe a hard drive and install Windows on it to get it to work (vomit), but it has.

Use unlockbootloade.exe to do a partial root. I had to do this twice. The first time I didn't run as Admin in Windows 7, so that may have been the problem.

Install superuser.apk from Google Play

Install and run SuperUser Update Fixer from Google Play

I can't take credit for the fix, I got it from this thread on Moneysavingexpert of all places! (Check out post 709).

As I said, I did the whole process twice, but it finally worked!

Thanks for the other suggestions. I think I'll at CWM and then get back to stock Voda Ten years ago I would have loved to have been trying out all kinds of ROMs, but with 2 little ones, the time just isn't there, and if something goes wrong with the hardware, I need to be able to return it. Thanks again for your help.

-Sam

Edited by sjb2016