Xolo Software update Available

Guest schkinx

Guest Simon O

At least the update flashes. Personally I was more worried about it bricking phones than removing root.

This most likely patches the restore exploit we have been using. So we need a new one for this and future updates. However if we have the changed files then it'll be easy to make an update that leaves root intact. Maybe one for ricky to add to his tool if somebody can provide him with the changed files?

Guest Simon O

BTW just seen on XDA that a few devices that could be rooted with the same method are no longer rootable following recent updates.. so it's likely the hole has been found and patched by Google :(

We really really need to be able to unlock the bootloader so we can use an insecure boot.img thus giving an easy way to root the device & paving the way for custom recovery images, roms etc etc. It's the only thing stopping us as the damn bootloader wants signed images and if they aren't signed then you get a broken phone.

Can anyone get me the small update zip please so I can look at it? I assume somebody does have it? Thanks

Guest technomole

At least the update flashes. Personally I was more worried about it bricking phones than removing root.

This most likely patches the restore exploit we have been using. So we need a new one for this and future updates. However if we have the changed files then it'll be easy to make an update that leaves root intact. Maybe one for ricky to add to his tool if somebody can provide him with the changed files?

I suspect the reason my phone got bricked was something to do with the update, but it's sorted now.

What files are needed and how do you get them off the phone ? I'd be happy to help, although my knowledge of this kind of thing can be written on the back of a postage stamp :D

Guest technomole

was you rooted before you updated ?

Does tool not work to root ?

Also, can you get recovery now ?

I was rooted before I tried to apply the update, which lead to me bricking the phone.

Ricky's AI0 tool doesn't work for root, once the update is applied.

I can get into recovery.

I'm not that fussed about having root for the moment, but figured it might help to find a way round this apparent blocking of root for xolo ics.

Are you sure adb is conected when you running tool

do you have a screen cast program on pc? we could do with seeing the tool ui as it is running

Edited by Guest

Guest technomole

Are you sure adb is conected when you running tool

do you have a screen cast program on pc? we could do with seeing the tool ui as it is running

No I don't have a screencast on windows (I use ubuntu as my main os)

I have noticed that although the system sees the phone, shows up under my computer as xolo x900 when I run the ai0 tool I seem to be getting 2 instances of adb showing up in the task manager.

So I plug phone in, system does it's thing.

I run ai0 tool it says -

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

and that's as far as the tool gets.

Phone is showing in device manager as Android Composite ADB Interface

But oddly there are 2 instances of adb.exe *32 showing in task manager, if I kill one the tool then goes to the options screen, then if I select anything another instance of adb.exe *32 shows up and I have to kill one to get the tool to do anything, but it fails on all options.

Guest Simon O

No problem smile.png

I am going to do update, as updater script shows nothing to remove root...............

The only thing that it does that could kill root is updating BackupAndRestore.apk which is what the exploit uses to mount the system r/w (there is a timing bug which means the backup app will mount system r/w sufficientlly long enough to push superuser files)

If this has been patched to fix the bug then we need a new exploit.

The only thing that it does that could kill root is updating BackupAndRestore.apk which is what the exploit uses to mount the system r/w (there is a timing bug which means the backup app will mount system r/w sufficientlly long enough to push superuser files)

If this has been patched to fix the bug then we need a new exploit.

Yes I noticed that when trying to reroot

remote object '/system/app/Backup-Restore.apk' does not exist

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

Sly google/xolo

Not feeling how they did that to you sd owners

It was patched by Google in the code as several other devices have been recently updated and lost this root method. It was a bad bug though.

trying to flash old update now........................

Which is pushing :)

It worked

Now trying root

If no root still I will fastboot erase system and try again

I have root!!!

Technomole, U should have no problem, go to revcovery and flash xolo ics update again, if you want root of course :)

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

Which is pushing smile.png

It worked

Now trying root

I have root!!!

Technomole, U should have no problem, go to revcovery and flash xolo ics update again, if you want root of course smile.png

At least you can go back to the original ICS OK. Now we just need to find a way to keep root with the new update.

Edit: The exploit may be patched but superuser.apk and the su binary should still be on the system. If you open Superuser then check the binary it'll tell you if it's still working. The updates install script does recursively set permissions in bin and xbin though so it's possible this has broken things. Or not.

Edit2: And the issue with some people not being able to get into recovery seems to be resolved with a wipe of the cache partition. At least that's what it looks like.

Edit3: Maybe something like Voodoo OTA Root Keeper will work in preventing superuser from being broken during update.

Guest technomole

Which is pushing :)

It worked

Now trying root

I have root!!!

Technomole, U should have no problem, go to revcovery and flash xolo ics update again, if you want root of course :)

I'm not going to risk it just yet, I can't get the tool to find the phone, I suspect something is wrong with the pc, may have to remove everything and start from scratch before trying again.