ROM: Infusion vs CM9 vs Others

Guest Kelthar

Guest Kelthar

Hello.

I'm currently on Infusion B04, waiting for the final B06 release. However, I'm still undecided about which ROM I should use: Infusion or CM9 (or any other).

The main points I care about are:

• Stability - No frequent restarts or crashes.
  • Performance - Smoothness and gaming performance, mostly.
  • Battery Life - No insane battery drain, being able to last at least a day of medium-heavy usage.

And what I mainly want to know is:

• Where does one ROM excel the others.
    • Where is one ROM weaker than the others.
    • Which one do you recommend, overall, and why.

So, which ROM do you use and why? I'm mainly interested in the two I mentioned, but if you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks!

PS: I've used an early Infusion version, then switched to CM9, then switched back to Infusion to try new versions. And I'm still undecided.

Edit: What about Kernels? Do you use a custom one? Which one's the best, in your opinion?

Edited by Kelthar

Hello.

I'm currently on Infusion B04, waiting for the final B06 release. However, I'm still undecided about which ROM I should use: Infusion or CM9 (or any other).

The main points I care about are:

• Stability - No frequent restarts or crashes.
  • Performance - Smoothness and gaming performance, mostly.
  • Battery Life - No insane battery drain, being able to last at least a day of medium-heavy usage.

And what I mainly want to know is:

• Where does one ROM excel the others.
    • Where is one ROM weaker than the others.
    • Which one do you recommend, overall, and why.

So, which ROM do you use and why? I'm mainly interested in the two I mentioned, but if you have any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks!

PS: I've used an early Infusion version, then switched to CM9, then switched back to Infusion to try new versions. And I'm still undecided.

Well, if you want stability and good battery, CM9 is probably the best as it has hardware acceleration. It also has a theme manager that allows you to download themes of the play store/internet which customize the WHOLE phone. It has other things like a customized lockscreen. I have the weather on mine, and a extra toggle for voice recognition.

post-969101-13538515380954_thumb.jpg

It has standard features like overclocking, now it has working battery stats and wifi, and some other features which you can see on the thread.

As for gaming performance, it's pretty much the same as other roms. I have noticed that apps are usually a lot slicker on CM9 like facebook and appy geek. The UI is really nice. For example, the status bar is really smooth, even smoother than my brothers dual core device.

CM9 also gets a nice score of 3004 in Antutu, which I have never got before on a ROM (without overclock).

post-969101-1353851548027_thumb.jpg

Infusion is also very good, though I haven't tried the later release yet. I miss a few features, like call recording, but most of the infusion features are already in CM9.

Edited by kyan31

Well, if you want stability and good battery, CM9 is probably the best as it has hardware acceleration. It also has a theme manager that allows you to download themes of the play store/internet which customize the WHOLE phone. It has other things like a customized lockscreen. I have the weather on mine, and a extra toggle for voice recognition.

post-969101-13538515380954_thumb.jpg

It has standard features like overclocking, now it has working battery stats and wifi, and some other features which you can see on the thread.

As for gaming performance, it's pretty much the same as other roms. I have noticed that apps are usually a lot slicker on CM9 like facebook and appy geek. The UI is really nice. For example, the status bar is really smooth, even smoother than my brothers dual core device.

CM9 also gets a nice score of 3004 in Antutu, which I have never got to before on a ROM before (without overclock).

post-969101-1353851548027_thumb.jpg

Infusion is also very good, though I haven't tried the later release yet. I miss a few features, like call recording, but most of the infusion features are already in CM9.

I'm using cm9 and when i stick mobile internet the battery drains like 10% in minutes it was on 25% when it went on sleep overnight and in the morning it was on 15%, just seems to eat up battery other roms dont have this problem.

Guest Dazzozo

The battery calculation was experimentally changed for R3. If people don't like it I'll revert it for R4. It should have no actual effect on how long the phone lasts for itself.

I'm using cm9 and when i stick mobile internet the battery drains like 10% in minutes it was on 25% when it went on sleep overnight and in the morning it was on 15%, just seems to eat up battery other roms dont have this problem.

CM9 seems to use really little battery actually. On most roms, the antenna uses the most battery, but as you can see here, the screen uses the most battery. And the screen is on maximum brightness, so I can easily put it lower, or on auto brightness.

post-969101-13538527442899_thumb.jpg

Edited by kyan31

so far, infusion got no any bugs.

in cm9 for ex. there are some issues related to camera and radio fm.

and radio fm seems to have no solutions.

There is one particularly annoying bug that comes with stock ICS based ROMs - default storage keeps reverting to internal. There are some workaround hacks that partially solves this, but they come with other inconveniences.

Guest hippy dave

i'm on cm9 and happy with it, especially after r3. i tried out an earlier build of infusion and it seemed great, but cm9 seems like the way forward. if it currently has problems that put you off it tho then infusion is a good one to use while you wait for cm9 to be ironed out. or if you want the fm radio then i guess stick to infusion unless there's a breakthrough...

Guest dan nedan

thanks!

do you think i really need your advices?

it is just a forum, i expressed my opinion i didn't ask for help.

Edited by dan nedan

Guest Kelthar

My poll here may also be of some help to you

Wow I didn't notice that one. Thanks!

By the way, in CM9, the OTA they mention, is it fully working OTA or does it still need full wipes on every update?

I tried Infusion several times. They all ended with returning back to AtomicMod. The ICS UI just seemed too slow compared to GB. CM9 changed that. R1 didn't stay because of the bugs but R3 singlehandedly took the place of my daily ROM. The UI speed is simply awesome and I have yet to see a bug (I've never used FM radio). I suppose, it will stay this way until CM10 reaches the state of CM9 R3.

internet radio ask for data consumption only!

probably others have no concern about that.

i have it!

What carrier are you on. T-Mobile does unlimited internet for 1 month, £5. This deal might only apply in the UK though. I also heard giffgaff has a £12 deal which includes 250 calling minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet.

i think its easier just to test all the rom's your interested in and decided for your self, as everyone is different... (just nandroid backup first)

but i would expect cm9 to work better, since infusion is based on huawei's broken rom...

plus CM9 is 4.0.4 and has a big advantage with the theme chooser (something i would love to see built into android as standard)

Guest dan nedan

What carrier are you on. T-Mobile does unlimited internet for 1 month, £5. This deal might only apply in the UK though. I also heard giffgaff has a £12 deal which includes 250 calling minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet.

only 250 mb monthly. 8 euro/month

Guest Kelthar

i think its easier just to test all the rom's your interested in and decided for your self, as everyone is different... (just nandroid backup first)

but i would expect cm9 to work better, since infusion is based on huawei's broken rom...

plus CM9 is 4.0.4 and has a big advantage with the theme chooser (something i would love to see built into android as standard)

The main ones I'm undecided with are CM9 and Infusion, and I've tried both. Although I only tried CM9 for a day, since I then flashed Infusion B04 (wanted to try it out). Since I can't make up my mind, decided to ask for opinions.

Oh, and with Kernels... Which one's the best? The one that comes with CM9, Geno.Kolar's or Omegamoon's? Or what advantages do they bring?

Guest Chris Banks

CM9 is by far the best ROM available at the moment, the smoothness and UI speed is unmatched. Just make a nadroid back up & flash it and try, you will not be disappointed.

Stock based rom devs did the best they could with huawei's ICS monstrosity, and full credit to them for their efforts, but CM9 is unrivalled until CM10 comes along.

Guest lemonade747

I have flashed infusion rom and i cant play any videos.mp4 with 1280x720 or higher (it says "sorry this video cant be played" and closes), i have tried many many video player apps (mobo player, mx player, dice player, vplayer, bs player...) but video and audio do not match when playing. Anybody has the same issue with me? Or i must flash a new rom to fix this. Please help me :( thank in advance