How to Root Huawei G330

Guest Urbanchina

Guest Urbanchina

Got my Huawei G330 almost 2 weeks. Rooted first time, took me about good 4 hours :blink: But managed to root it at last. Here is the link, if you follow the instructions carefully you won't go wrong, but I didn't... :wacko:

Hope this will help for future G330 owners.

12/12/2012

I have the pleasure to enclosed this edited files if you wish to get rid of the chinese apps. Open System/App with RExplorer. Make sure you do a backup first in case you deleted some important files. This is useful if you bought a G330D China imports.

116114.apk (Chinese Stock App)

20120521171816390_AndroidQQ2011beta4_bulid0146_release_U8825D.apk (Chinese Stock App)

AccountAgent.apk (User Preference/Safe to delete)

AIMail_Android_V364a_orange96.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

AllBackup.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

ApkBatchInstall.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

ApplicationsProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

BackupRestoreConfirmation.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

BaiduSearch_Android_1-0-8-24_942c.apk(Chinese Stock App)

Bluetooth.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Browser.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

Calculator.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

Calendar.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

CalendarProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

CertInstaller.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

ChnUnicomAutoReg.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Contacts_DSDS.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

ContactsExt.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

ContactsProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Coupon_huawei.apk(Chinese Stock App)

DefaultContainerSDeskClock.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

DeskClock.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

dianxing_1.9_SID_95.apk(Chinese Stock App)

DocumentsToGo.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

DownloadProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

DownloadProviderUi.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

DrmProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Email.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Exchange.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

FaceLock.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)(Face Tracking)

Gallery2.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

GoogleServicesFramework.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HandWritingSimpPack.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

Hispace.apk(User Preference /Safe to delete)

HTMLViewer.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HuaweiSecurityGuard.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)(Caller Display)

HuaweiSyncClient.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

HwBluetoothImport.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HwCamera.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HWCardManager.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HwCloudDrive.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

HwDawnTheme_small.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

HwDualCardWidget.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HwFlashlight.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

HwFMRadio.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

HwGPMS.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HwIME.apk(Chinese Hand Writing Input/Safe to delete)

HwLauncher5_NormalPlus.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HwOUC.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

HwSoundRecorder.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

HwWallpaper.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

HwWiFiHotspot.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

JJLord.20207.40011.apk(Chinese Stock App)

KeyChain.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

LiveWallpapers.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

MediaCenter.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)(Music)

MediaProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

MicroBlog_MSF_3.6.0_U8825D_release.apk(Chinese Stock App)

MMITest_II.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

MMITest_record.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Mms.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

MyCalendar.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

MyEmail.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

PackageInstaller.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Phone.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

PhoneFinder.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

PicoTts.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

PinyinPack.apk(Chinese word input/Safe to delete)

PotterUnlock.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)(2D lock)

ProjectMenuAct.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

Provision.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

PushService.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

qqbrowser3.0_android_20120709164022_U8825D_release.apk(Chinese Stock App)

QuickSearchBox.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

Sanguo_AndroidAuto_CCAARN01_20120710.apk(Chinese Stock App)

Settings.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

SettingsProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

SharedStorageBackup.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

SmartcardService.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

SohuNewsClient_v2.3_huawei_c7004_0821.apk(Chinese Stock App)

SohuTV_2.1.1_375_201208211813.apk(Chinese Stock App)

Stk.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

StkLauncher.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

SystemUI.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

tadu_android_v2.36_1.6_1435.apk(Chinese Stock App)

TelephonyProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

ToolBox.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

TotemWeather.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)(Huawei Weather)

UnicomCustomApk.apk(Chinese Stock App)

UserDictionaryProvider.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

VisualizationWallpapers.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

VpnDialogs.apk(DO NOT DELETE)

WAPPushManager.apk(User Preference/Safe to delete)

Wostore_205_HUAWEI_U8825D.apk(Chinese App)

===============================================================================================================================

Disabling stock boot up sound(Updated 25/1/2013)

To disable the boot up sound, the phone has to be rooted, go to RE(Root Explorer) -Data/Cust/Media/Audio/Animationsounds and delete the bootSound.ogg file.

================================================================================================================

If you brick your phone, use the following guide, credit to Sprawler(Updated 26/1/2013)

For future reference I updated to the latest official rom, downloaded from here http://rom.onekeyrom...il-37-4824.html To run the update you need to put the update.app into a folder called dload on the sdcard then you boot the phone while holding both the v+ and v- This will install the official rom. This should leave your bootloader unlocked but you will need install the cwm bootloader and give root access again. Then I installed the google apps zip through cwm loader and uninstalled the stock chinese apps using root explorer (I actually just moved them to a backup folder on the sdcard) Now I have access to google services again :) Quite a bit of information was taken from this thread so thanks to all who contributed.

Edited by Urbanchina

Guest Urbanchina

Actually rooting is pretty straight forward, is the installing process of Google Playstore that puzzle me. Because this is the first time I root a Android Phone. The G300 is huge upgrade for me compare to my old phone (HTC Desire).

Because this is an China import. It has the annoying man greeting voice when turning on the handset. To disable that, the phone has to be rooted, go to RE(Root Explorer) -Data/Cust/Media/Audio/Animationsounds and delete the bootSound.ogg file.

I am glad that I didn't spent £500 on an iphone, it look and feel just like an iphone to me but with a bigger and wider display. Picture is crystal sharp, video is 720p quality and games are very responsive. The front video cam is a plus as I use skype to call oversea quite often. Music are decent from the phone speaker comparing to my old HTC. The china import G330 has couple stock apps can be useful and certain can be deleted if you can't read Chinese :)

My final thoughts on the G330-Very good quality handset at budget price tag that most can afford :D

Actually rooting is pretty straight forward, is the installing process of Google Playstore that puzzle me. Because this is the first time I root a Android Phone. The G300 is huge upgrade for me compare to my old phone (HTC Desire).

Because this is an China import. It has the annoying man greeting voice when turning on the handset. To disable that, the phone has to be rooted, go to RE(Root Explorer) -Data/Cust/Media/Audio/Animationsounds and delete the bootSound.ogg file.

I am glad that I didn't spent £500 on an iphone, it look and feel just like an iphone to me but with a bigger and wider display. Picture is crystal sharp, video is 720p quality and games are very responsive. The front video cam is a plus as I use skype to call oversea quite often. Music are decent from the phone speaker comparing to my old HTC. The china import G330 has couple stock apps can be useful and certain can be deleted if you can't read Chinese :)

My final thoughts on the G330-Very good quality handset at budget price tag that most can afford :D

I don't know about others, but my G300 is rather creaky if you gently squeeze the screen, or gently twist the opposite ends in opposite directions. How is the build quality of the G330 in comparison? Does it feel more solid?

Edited by 00Mark

Guest Urbanchina

It doesn't "creak" on mine G330, but...why do you squeeze or twist the screen btw? :) Don't know about G300 as I never own one, but is pretty solid phone I say.

Guest Poland2nd

Hello. I also purchased a G330 from China and still have to root it. I have an important question, especially for Urbanchina above: Does this phone support wireless network location? Basically can you get a location on Google Maps while your GPS is switched off? You know... like when you're at home or in a cafe and want to plan a journey on Google Maps, that needs your current location? It is impossible on the stock Chinese device so far - as soon as I disable GPS the device is completely lost and does not provide even approximate location. To me it is a *dealbreaker*, thus I'd be thankful if someone could check it for me. Many thanks.

On another note... GPS itself works fine actually and gets a quick fix on the position. Also the device does not have a compass (bad if you use augumented reality, or sky maps). The Wireless Network location remains a mystery... but lack of support (if such is proved) to me completely cripples the device.

Guest Urbanchina

Hi Poland2nd, aren't you suppose to turn the GPS on in order for the satelite to locate your position? Even my old HTC won't able to track my location with GPS switched off. This is same as my daughter iPhone. Perhaps some G300 owners chip in? I do had some hiccups at first on my GPS location. Eventually got it working after trying from different location of my house. But I had no problem tracking my location when I'm out of the house. (I'm using Three all you can eat data package). Never regret on my purchase tbh.

Guest Poland2nd

The thing is that most devices nowadays use wireless networks (wifi, and 3G) signal to give you a rough location even *without* GPS switched on - of course you can turn on GPS to complement the rough location and make it more accurate. In all Android phones I had (since HTC Desire) there was always an option in the settings that allows usage of wireless networks to locate your position but G330 lacks that setting which is really puzzling. I'm at home or in a cafe, planning a journey around, I launch Google Maps and cannot acquire my current location because I dont have access to the sky (and GPS satellites)... that's very disappointing. I am just wondering why such an omission in a modern device like that? Is it a matter of ROM? Really disappointing... Otherwise it's a wonderful device.

Guest experiment626

I got my G330 rooted / unlocked and installed gaps / google play nice little phone feels alot smoother guess because of the (dual core) over the G300. I can confirm it isn't creaky like the G300 and feels very solid. The screen is very clear but a step up from the G300 I noticed a bit of back light bleed on dark blacks but have been using this over my Nexus 4 the last few days so have been comparing it to the Nexus.

Thanks Urban China for the top on deleting the ogg file. The start up "mans" voice gets very annoying .I am trying to change the boot up logo but not much luck as yet .

Spend yesterday stripping off most of the chinese apps using titanium backup.Was suprised how easy it was to unlock / root ....

Edited by experiment626

Guest Urbanchina

You are welcome experimant626. I strong urge you to back up your phone before you got carry away by deleting important files :D There are very limited info and support on the G330D. I am constantly reading and searching on some Chinese websites, trying to learn more about the phone since I got it.

I do hope our nice moderator here will start up a new G330 forum for us. But I'm happily stick to this G300 forum if the rest of the members won't mind. :)

Guest Urbanchina

I am trying to translate the unlocktool.exe file for the G330D from Chinese to English is anyone that need it. So far I have managed to extract the unlocktool.exe file and change the Chinese in the bat file but don't know how to put it back. I would appreciate if anyone can help. Unless there is an english one already floating about?

Guest Davidoff59

As far as I'm aware, the network and wife location simply speed up a fix. With wifi location, if it's only seeing one router, then it's not going to be accurate. I reckon all 3 work in conjunction for speed maybe feeding back data to the gps to show where the satellites should be

Guest experiment626

You are welcome experimant626. I strong urge you to back up your phone before you got carry away by deleting important files :D There are very limited info and support on the G330D. I am constantly reading and searching on some Chinese websites, trying to learn more about the phone since I got it.

I do hope our nice moderator here will start up a new G330 forum for us. But I'm happily stick to this G300 forum if the rest of the members won't mind. :)

Yeah np had enough scary moments on the G300 but the G330 is very similar . Ran a full backup via CWM first time I made any changes although I have made some progress managing to change the boot up screen to a Huawei Ascend logo and have made some other - a good forum where there are alot of custom roms is romzj not sure if you have dropped by there to take a look.

What firmware version are you running I am on U8825DV100R001C17B931SP01 noticed there is a B953 out on the chinese huawei site but held off flashing it because I am not sure if this contains the english language files . I managed to extract some apk's from some of the custom roms and applying some of them seem to improve the phone eg. the camera app which on B931 can't run panaroma (applying the later one runs panaroma without crashing).

I am getting about 1d 6h out of one charge but not using dual simms this can be pushed to 2 days with moderate use at the moment but I think I need charge it a few times as I only got it last Friday.

Also have you bench marked the phone I get 5888 on the new Antutu app ......

I agree I think a G330 forum is needed.

Edited by experiment626

Guest Urbanchina

sweet :)

That could be useful at times :D

Yeah np had enough scary moments on the G300 but the G330 is very similar . Ran a full backup via CWM first time I made any changes although I have made some progress managing to change the boot up screen to a Huawei Ascend logo and have made some other - a good forum where there are alot of custom roms is romzj not sure if you have dropped by there to take a look.

What firmware version are you running I am on U8825DV100R001C17B931SP01 noticed there is a B953 out on the chinese huawei site but held off flashing it because I am not sure if this contains the english language files . I managed to extract some apk's from some of the custom roms and applying some of them seem to improve the phone eg. the camera app which on B931 can't run panaroma (applying the later one runs panaroma without crashing).

I am getting about 1d 6h out of one charge but not using dual simms this can be pushed to 2 days with moderate use at the moment but I think I need charge it a few times as I only got it last Friday.

Also have you bench marked the phone I get 5888 on the new Antutu app ......

I agree I think a G330 forum is needed.

Yes I have been looking at that website and yet to download http://www.romzj.com/resources/other.html?view=rom&id=5251&layout=default (the most popular one) There are mix feedbacks. Many mention about the battery indication not accurate, dialer a bit on the slow side (approx. 1sec delayed). But the rest is good. But I quite like what it has to offer tbh. Like faster GPS & Location positioning detection, Improve WIFI connectivity and performance, Added RExplorer 2.21, improved HD quality on video steaming, added SRS audio, changed original bootup animation to Ascend boot animation.

But I am not sure whether this rom is purely Chinese or it can be selected to English via the settings on the phone.

I am using a latest firmware B953 downoad from Huawei official website. If you upgrade to this firmware. It will reset everything back to factory settings and you will need to root it again.

Haven't download Antutu, will do it when I get the time :)

Guest experiment626

That could be useful at times :D

Yes I have been looking at that website and yet to download http://www.romzj.com...&layout=default (the most popular one) There are mix feedbacks. Many mention about the battery indication not accurate, dialer a bit on the slow side (approx. 1sec delayed). But the rest is good. But I quite like what it has to offer tbh. Like faster GPS & Location positioning detection, Improve WIFI connectivity and performance, Added RExplorer 2.21, improved HD quality on video steaming, added SRS audio, changed original bootup animation to Ascend boot animation.

But I am not sure whether this rom is purely Chinese or it can be selected to English via the settings on the phone.

I am using a latest firmware B953 downoad from Huawei official website. If you upgrade to this firmware. It will reset everything back to factory settings and you will need to root it again.

Haven't download Antutu, will do it when I get the time :)

The ROMS do support english I tried a few including the one you posted but decided to stick on the viper 4 one which was a detoxed / optimised version of the 952 china unicom rom.

I reran Antutu benchmark v3.03 on this rom and get 6486 v 5888 on the huawei stock 931 ROM.

Edited by experiment626

Guest experiment626

Added in my OP if you wish to know what files can be deleted on a Chinese imports G330D

Might be safer to use the Titanium with root removal method instead of deleting files using Root Explorer. I tend to backup the files first before uninstalling them using Titanium backup.Might be also wise to do a full backup from CWM to your SD card once you have rooted you phone.

As a final recovery point it also may be worth downloading the Huawei ROM ( you gave the link in an earlier post) and have this on your SD card in case you need to do a forced recovery. Copy the dload folder from the Standard Huawei 953 to your SD card just in case

Edited by experiment626

Guest Urbanchina

You can get the latest firmware U8825D,Android 4.0,V100R001C17B956 from the official Huawei website. Released 11/12/2012,

Update Description

1, Enhance the stability of the system

2 Optimize the performance of the camera

You need to do recovery and then re-root again if you decided to upgrade. And re-install Googleplay after. Is there anyway avoiding the trouble of re-installing Gplay?

Edited by Urbanchina

Guest experiment626

You can get the latest firmware U8825D,Android 4.0,V100R001C17B956 from the official Huawei website. Released 11/12/2012,

Update Description

1, Enhance the stability of the system

2 Optimize the performance of the camera

You need to do recovery and then re-root again if you decided to upgrade. And re-install Googleplay after. Is there anyway avoiding the trouble of re-installing Gplay?

This is just re-flashing the gapps file via CWM for 4.04 I think it is version gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Guest Urbanchina

Can anyone confirm that This phone is a DSS(Dual Sim Standby) or DSA(Dual Sim Active)? I'm asking these because I want to make use of the second sim slot.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdi,

The only halfway decent review I read of the G330 indicated it was DSS, not DSA, but most reviews seem to just dwell on the slightly faster CPU and the price.

In this thread, and elsewhere on modaco, I've seen people claim the screen isn't IPS, as per the G300 - but people that have used both seem to be indicating that the screen on the G330 is as good as, or better, than the G300. What gives? IPS isn't always specifically stated on ebay pages for the G330, but it's always mentioned on the G300 pages and reviews. Wondering if it's just an assumed feature for new phones now?

I know it's been asked and kind of answered already - but I'm still trying to work out whether jumping on the G330 is a good move right now. I have a G300, rooted, but still running gingerbread. It does all I want (except perhaps play Ingress :)). But I'd like to bequeath it to my other half who's desperately in need of a new handset (she's on a Wildfire, so you can imagine the pain) and the G330 was always kind of my next step. I know the specs aren't *hugely* compelling compared to the G300, but none of the other handsets out there really grab me. I want inexpensive (£140 is good), 4" screen max, mini-SD (so nexus 4 is out, even if you could buy one). Price delta between G300 and G330 is now under £10 for new, unboxed, rooted, etc on ebay. I also suspect there may be a small advantage to us remaining a Huawei G3xx household, since I'm the first level of support for anything with a USB port.

So I guess the biggest concern is whether there'll likely be a JB ROM coming out for the G330. I know people are saying that the G330 just won't get the same dev community interest due to bad timing and modest improvements over the G300. But how much should that worry me - or rather, will it be so small that there'll be no likelihood of a JB ROM coming out here, and we'd be purely at the mercy of Huawei ever getting around to publishing one.

Please forgive my obvious bewilderment. :)

Edited by jedd

Oh well, went ahead and picked up a G330, pre-rooted, via ebay. It came with PhoneFinder built in - though without admin-equiv rights. Is this weird? I formatted back to factory settings, but kept superuser (boot-up option while it was formatting itself) and PhoneFinder is still there. Didn't think it's part of the G330 base android 4 build, but who knows. Actually I don't know what the base build actually is on this thing - I'm guessing factory shipped ROM.

UrbanChina / experiment626 - did you guys decide on 'the best' ROM to install - and if so what compelling features did it have over factory ROM? Did you find / play with any JB ROM's anywhere? I'm looking through the ROMZJ site and while google translate tells me all I need to know about the ROMs on offer, I'm really not sure whether any are a vast improvement over what I have. As it stands I haven't needed to root my phone *or* side-install gapps (already done for me, as I say).

With the rooting - is the idea that you go back to Huawei's site each time to get a new code? This seems cumbersome.

With the Play Store - is it simply a matter of having the gapps file on the SD so you can do a manual install of it?

Guest Urbanchina

Welcome to the G330 club :)

Didn't look into the PhoneFinder feature as it is not important to me. I have not find the time to try any custom rom yet. I pretty happy with the Go Themes atm. Experiment626 seem the person who has tried and experiment few of the custom roms from ROMZJ site I think.

I don't think you need to ask for new code once the phone is unlocked for root.

I am still a newby on how to flash a rom and restore each individual user apps like Play Store. I suppose is the same as other rooted phones?

Guest gilli.amu

Hi all,

Have just bought a G330 (not dual sim). Pretty happy so far but would love to clean it up and remove alot of the pre-installed stuff.

Am now considering returning the G330 and getting the G330D so I can root it (Dual sim also seems really useful i.e. work & private sim)

New to smartphone and android world, and have never rooted one before but have read Urbanchina's instructions (many thanks) and think I am up to it.

Questions:

1. Are there and major differences I would be losing out on by switching model?

2. I can set it up so no chinese characters, right? I want english and german interface. (I know - a real newbie question)

3. Where did you buy your imports? Am thinking of ordering from a Hong Kong supplier.

Thanks in advance.