How to Root Huawei G330

Guest Urbanchina

Guest Urbanchina

The only major differences I think is there isn't much support for the G330D in UK atm. With G330 UK version, you get full support from UK Huawei team. Saying that, I did wrote to the UK support team about some GPS positioning issue on the G330D. All they came up was a lame excuse saying the Chinese device only work in China :rolleyes:. At the end I got it working myself.

You can get rid of any Chinese Stock Apps easily once rooted. Don't open the Huawei App centre though, otherwise you get bombarded with Chinese apps wanted to update etc. Best get rid of it in SYSTEM/APP folder via RE.

I got my device from Ebay, not from China nor HK. They worked out about the same minus the waiting time. The seller in ebay also has a online shop here, postage is slightly cheaper compare to ebay. Hope it helps.

Guest benali10

Hi, I've recently bought g330d from the seller just mentioned above (btw very helpful people). Couple of things hopefully someone can advise:

• The chinese apps keep updating/downloading so which huawei apps do I safely delet once in the SYSTEM/APP folder?
  • I've installed 16gb microsd, I cant seem to get mp3's loaded onto it without them getting dumped into the LOST.DIR, many posts kicking around on this but cant see a fix anywhe

Many thanks!

Guest Urbanchina

You can get rid of the Hispace.apk(Huawei App Centre) in SYSTEM/APP folder. Just long press the file and delete. I think the problem of LOST.DIR not just on huawei, if you just google "LOST.DIR" and you know what I mean :P .

I use SD card as my primary storage in storage settings so all my music files goes in it.

Guest benali10

Can't delete Hispace.apk, says the file system is read only?

In storage settings I cant see where to switch primary storage to be sd card?

Do you then not have any issues with more than 2gb of music files?

Guest Urbanchina

You have to click on the r/w to r/o at top of RE in order to alter any files. Actually there is no option to switch to primary storage with G330D, I have since bought a Huawei D1quad and gave the G330D to my daughter. :)

I would have thought you should be able to move any music files on the sd card. My daughter had 4gb of music files all in the 32gb class10 sandisk i bought for her on Christmas.

Edited by Urbanchina

Guest gilli.amu

@ urbanchina

thanks for reply.

so have taken the plunge and await my g330d from etotalk (pre- unlocked and rooted).

will post again on how I get on.

Guest gilli.amu

Well my G330D has arrived safe and sound.

Good delivery via DHL though had to pay a customs clearance fee EUR24 (am in Germany).

Unlocked and rooted by EtoTalk.

BUT

Wi-fi internet is not working

Says it is connected and good signal but nothing doing.

IP address looks good.

I have had a look around on the internet but can't quite find the solution.

Anyone had similar difficulties with this model or from EtoTalk?

Edited by gilli.amu

Guest Urbanchina

Work straight out of the box own mine. Etotalk use their own custom ROM. If they provide you with the ROM. You could try to flash back to the manufacturer ROM and see if it work. If it still doesn't, then you might have a faulty device. Just curious, why did you hit with the customs clearance? Didn't they declare as gift?

Guest gilli.amu

i am pretty sure the wlan is working

so i would like to reset back to factory settings to check

but how can i back up the etotalk rom i have now?

without internet i can't install Titanium or anything

about the customs clearance - no idea?

(yes, it was declared as gift)

Guest gilli.amu

So, used Ekotalk's version of clockworkmod to create recovery images.

Used it to reset to factory settings.

Still no internet access - but Google Maps works a little now!?

Android web browser - nothing.

Gmail - no.

Play Store - no. (which means I can't download apps!)

The router works with two laptops and a samsung smartphone.

Tried another router and it was fine with the laptops and the samsung.

I looked at the Link speed of the WLAN in the Mod Tool and it seems to keep dropping the signal.

Same in WLAN settings, sometimes Link speed says 0Mbps sometimes 52Mbps.

Anyone?

Guest Urbanchina

Go into your router setting, see connected devices if your phone is there. To identify your phone just look at the MAC address on your phone. You might want to try unplugging other devices and do a reset on the router. Power it down for 20 sec and turn it back on etc.

Guest gilli.amu

Ok, so nothing was wrong with WLAN.

Etotalk sent me a new NetworkLocation.apk

now I could access www.google.com but still no apps!?

So I created a back up and then..

Updated the firmware

Internet worked perfect :)

Reinstalled recovery

Re-rooted

Installed Gapps

No probs :)

Delivery service was good but really quite disappointed with Etotalk that it wasn't good to go out of the box - very frustrating and have spent a lot of time trying to fix it.

Now I can finally get on with enjoying my G330d.

(P.S. I will be asking them for a refund on what they charged for rooting and modding.)

Edited by gilli.amu

Hi urbanChina

I have an issue with Huawei G330D. The latter is halted on the 3G startup screen .. I need to reload the firmware. I have followed your conversation and have downloaded the firmware. Can you advise me how to reload the latter.

Regards

Bernard Li

Guest Urbanchina

I don't quite get what is your issue here. What firmware did you try to download? If you on about the factory firmware, all you need to do is, extract the file to a temporary folder. Then copy the entire 'dload' folder to your sd card, and then update the firmware in settings>storage>SD update.

Hi UrbanChina..

Thanks for the reply ... Yes, Im looking for the factory reset. But my phone is not booting, so I can't upgrade that easily, what are the steps to manually perform such operation.?

Guest Urbanchina

To do a factory reset, hold the top volume key on left side of phone and power switch button together for 12 seconds, you should go into recovery mode and do the reset from there.

P.S To do this your phone must be switch off.

Edited by Urbanchina

Guest Sprawler

Ok, so nothing was wrong with WLAN.

Etotalk sent me a new NetworkLocation.apk

now I could access www.google.com but still no apps!?

So I created a back up and then..

Updated the firmware

Internet worked perfect :)

Reinstalled recovery

Re-rooted

Installed Gapps

No probs :)

Delivery service was good but really quite disappointed with Etotalk that it wasn't good to go out of the box - very frustrating and have spent a lot of time trying to fix it.

Now I can finally get on with enjoying my G330d.

(P.S. I will be asking them for a refund on what they charged for rooting and modding.)

Hi, I am also having what seem to be the same problem, no access to google things. Etotalk haven't replied to any of my emails or live chat requests. Are you able to describe exactly what you did to get the phone working nicely again. Also are you able to send me the updated NetworkLocation.apk? TIA

Guest Sprawler

I have figured it out. For future reference I updated to the latest official rom, downloaded from here http://rom.onekeyrom.com/detail-37-4824.html To run the update you need to put the update.app into a folder called dload on the sdcard then you boot the phone while holding both the v+ and v- This will install the official rom. This should leave your bootloader unlocked but you will need install the cwm bootloader and give root access again. Then I installed the google apps zip through cwm loader and uninstalled the stock chinese apps using root explorer (I actually just moved them to a backup folder on the sdcard) Now I have access to google services again :) Quite a bit of information was taken from this thread so thanks to all who contributed.

Guest Urbanchina

I have figured it out. For future reference I updated to the latest official rom, downloaded from here http://rom.onekeyrom...il-37-4824.html To run the update you need to put the update.app into a folder called dload on the sdcard then you boot the phone while holding both the v+ and v- This will install the official rom. This should leave your bootloader unlocked but you will need install the cwm bootloader and give root access again. Then I installed the google apps zip through cwm loader and uninstalled the stock chinese apps using root explorer (I actually just moved them to a backup folder on the sdcard) Now I have access to google services again :) Quite a bit of information was taken from this thread so thanks to all who contributed.

Thx for chipping in, good tip if you brick your phone. Updated to top page.

Guest experiment626

Howdi,

The only halfway decent review I read of the G330 indicated it was DSS, not DSA, but most reviews seem to just dwell on the slightly faster CPU and the price.

In this thread, and elsewhere on modaco, I've seen people claim the screen isn't IPS, as per the G300 - but people that have used both seem to be indicating that the screen on the G330 is as good as, or better, than the G300. What gives? IPS isn't always specifically stated on ebay pages for the G330, but it's always mentioned on the G300 pages and reviews. Wondering if it's just an assumed feature for new phones now?

I know it's been asked and kind of answered already - but I'm still trying to work out whether jumping on the G330 is a good move right now. I have a G300, rooted, but still running gingerbread. It does all I want (except perhaps play Ingress :)). But I'd like to bequeath it to my other half who's desperately in need of a new handset (she's on a Wildfire, so you can imagine the pain) and the G330 was always kind of my next step. I know the specs aren't *hugely* compelling compared to the G300, but none of the other handsets out there really grab me. I want inexpensive (£140 is good), 4" screen max, mini-SD (so nexus 4 is out, even if you could buy one). Price delta between G300 and G330 is now under £10 for new, unboxed, rooted, etc on ebay. I also suspect there may be a small advantage to us remaining a Huawei G3xx household, since I'm the first level of support for anything with a USB port.

So I guess the biggest concern is whether there'll likely be a JB ROM coming out for the G330. I know people are saying that the G330 just won't get the same dev community interest due to bad timing and modest improvements over the G300. But how much should that worry me - or rather, will it be so small that there'll be no likelihood of a JB ROM coming out here, and we'd be purely at the mercy of Huawei ever getting around to publishing one.

Please forgive my obvious bewilderment. :)

Sorry don't come on here much I thought this thread was dead, I have been more focused on my N4 I run this rom http://www.romzj.com/resources/other.html?view=rom&id=6383&layout=default and removed alot of the chinese software via titanium and then slimmed down the rom until it was stable and fast.

I tried most of them but found this one to be the most stable don't worry all the chinese roms have english may be worth doing a nandriod backup and then restoring the apps. The only down side to this rom is getting rid of that horrid desktop image , I also found some strange behaviour with colours when running the stock browser but as I use chrome I have learned to live with it.

I also run the xda DS battery saver which has made a big difference with the battery performance takes a bit of tweaking . Playing with the CPU speeds and governers doesn't seem to work well with the stock rom so I suggest leaving that but feel that a new kernal is what the phone needs as the performance is there but the optimisation is poor at the moment with the standard kernal.

Guest experiment626

Hi, I am also having what seem to be the same problem, no access to google things. Etotalk haven't replied to any of my emails or live chat requests. Are you able to describe exactly what you did to get the phone working nicely again. Also are you able to send me the updated NetworkLocation.apk? TIA

Download the lastest gapps from goo I think it is gapps-ics-201204-29-signed.zip for this version of ics, Once you have cwm installed and the phone rooted you can flash gapps and get the playstore installed.May be also worth using titanium backup to remove some of the chinese apps

Guest experiment626

Hi UrbanChina..

Thanks for the reply ... Yes, Im looking for the factory reset. But my phone is not booting, so I can't upgrade that easily, what are the steps to manually perform such operation.?

If your phone isn't booting there isn't much except using the fastboot etc type commands to flash back your boot.img ( if that is the problem) did you have update.zip in dload on your sd card? What have you done to stop your phone from booting ? If you phone is discovered when you boot then you may be ok

Guest benali10

My son managed to brick his g330d, I'm now trying to re-root the phone after installing the factory rom. The instruction in the link on front page tells you to open the phone and close the 'quick restart' function, I'm not sure where or how to do this, basically I cant get the phone to stop at the 'wo' screen. Anyone give me some help please?

Guest bladebuddy
My son managed to brick his g330d, I'm now trying to re-root the phone after installing the factory rom. The instruction in the link on front page tells you to open the phone and close the 'quick restart' function, I'm not sure where or how to do this, basically I cant get the phone to stop at the 'wo' screen. Anyone give me some help please?

Settings /fastboot turn this off.