Jiayu G3

Guest putbinoot

Guest putbinoot

I know this is the G300 forum as i have one but my Jiayu G3 has just arrived and some G300 owners are interested i think so I was going to try and do a wee video review tomorrow. If there is anything you want me to do with it in the video except dragging a blade over the screen or smashing walnuts with it let me know. Only thing i can't get working just now is google movies i get "couldn't retrieve license error code 43" when i try to download the movie i got with my nexus 7, can download it fine on G300 running GB. So ask away.

1. gameplay
  2. antutu benchmarks
  3. video camera quality
  4. move playback (.avi / .mkv)
  5. opinion on build quality
  6. the ICS implementation? buggy or good
  7. where did you buy it? and did you pay any customs charges?

theses are the things i would like to hear about / see :)

Guest putbinoot

1 Riptide GP and Drift Mania play well graphics look good.

2 Anutu = 5649 with wfi and 3g enabled 5684 in airplane mode.

3 Not tried yet.

4 avi seems ok, 1080p mkv not smooth just mkv movie trailers downloaded from internet. Using MX Player , tell me if i should try a different player or point me to a clip or file you want me to try.

5 Build quality is excellent in my opinion no creaks from anything and the screen looks great.

6 ics seems good to me , nice and smooth.

7 Bought from uredeal.com ordered on 24th/11 arrived 04th/12 £164 ish for phone, case Jiayu own make and does the job and a 32gb card. No import duty as mine was a gift :D

8 No, got the black one ;-)

9 No idea yet as i have not had it fully charged.

10 Screen is nice smooth and fast.

11 Yes.

Also has EPO (Extended Prediction Orbit) Media Tek's innovative proprietary off-line server based A-GPS technology, what ever that means, supposed to reduce time to first fix.

Also and not sure if this is standard in ICS but it has a Scedule power on/off so you can set the phone to go off at night and come on in the morning. I know you could get apps for this but I just thought I would mention it.

Is it worth the money £146 shipped to your door, I would say so.

Edited by putbinoot

I just ordered my G3 yesterday, but I will still use my G300.

BTW a jellybean release is scheduled soon for the Jiayu G3, G2s, and the upcoming G4.

You can also root and install recovery really easy on the G3. Look up for Bin4ry as he/she made it.

Edited by kyan31

I know this is the G300 forum as i have one but my Jiayu G3 has just arrived and some G300 owners are interested i think so I was going to try and do a wee video review tomorrow. If there is anything you want me to do with it in the video except dragging a blade over the screen or smashing walnuts with it let me know. Only thing i can't get working just now is google movies i get "couldn't retrieve license error code 43" when i try to download the movie i got with my nexus 7, can download it fine on G300 running GB. So ask away.

Could you test the 3g speed using the speedtest app.

Guest irishpancake
yeah heard about jelly bean update not sure why I would need root as there are no custom roms available.

But sure root would allow you access to the system.....

e.g. with root explorer, and be able to run apps which need root access..

even on stock rooms... :P

Edited by irishpancake

Guest irishpancake

Man....that is a beautiful phone...for 146 or 164?

Did you order the sd card with it, so it was 146 + 18 for SD??

Either way, it is a serious piece of kit....best of luck with it!!

Guest palec69

7 Bought from uredeal.com ordered on 24th/11 arrived 04th/12 £164 ish for phone, case Jiayu own make and does the job and a 32gb card. No import duty as mine was a gift :D

where are you from ? GB ?

usually there is no import duty for electronics , but in Ireland for exmample even if it's a gift and it's above 45e u need to pay VAT which is 23% of declared value

did they declare lower value ?

Edited by palec69

Guest RaoulTeeuwen

I wonder what the supported 'bands' (right word?) for 3G are. On several websites the specs said the Jaiyu G3 could only use 3G over/on 2100Mhz.

Guest putbinoot

where are you from ? GB ?

usually there is no import duty for electronics , but in Ireland for exmample even if it's a gift and it's above 45e u need to pay VAT which is 23% of declared value

did they declare lower value ?

Scotland is where i am, never heard that there is no import on electronics before. Box was marked as gift to value of 10 us dollars.

Guest putbinoot

I wonder what the supported 'bands' (right word?) for 3G are. On several websites the specs said the Jaiyu G3 could only use 3G over/on 2100Mhz.

Taken from their site www.ejiayu.com 3G is indeed only 2100MHz.

The Jia domain G3 Specifications CPU The MT6577 1G dual-core Memory RAM1G + ROM4G Screen Size 4.5 inches Screen material IPS Resolution 720 × 1280 Touch screen Second-generation multi-touch with Corning Gorilla Glass Camera 2,000,000 8,000,000 physical pixel back-illuminated CMOS AF Operating system Android 4.0.4 Battery capacity 2750 mA Sensor Light, distance, gravity, magnetic sensor, gyro Additional equipment GPS \ WIFI \ Bluetooth \ FM External storage Support maximum 64G expansion card Network GSM \ WCDMA dual network dual standby WCDMA frequency 2100MHz GSM frequencies 850/900/1800/1900MHz Body parameters Of 135x65x10.8 mm weight 154 g Factory standard A mobile phone, battery, charger, data cable, manual, warranty card

Guest putbinoot

Man....that is a beautiful phone...for 146 or 164?

Did you order the sd card with it, so it was 146 + 18 for SD??

Either way, it is a serious piece of kit....best of luck with it!!

£146 for phone, £164 for phone, case and 32gb card.

Guest Frankish

Seems to good to be true but obviously not if all goes well as is your case. So does these 3G bands make much difference in the UK as surely they don't all operate on the same. Are we limited to certain networks or speeds.

Guest putbinoot

Seems to good to be true but obviously not if all goes well as is your case. So does these 3G bands make much difference in the UK as surely they don't all operate on the same. Are we limited to certain networks or speeds.

UK 3G frequency is 2100MHz I believe so fine for here, link provided to world listing. Tried to make a video but cocked it up as camera battery went low and shut camera down without me knowing so i was talking away but recording nothing, what a fanny. Any way can someone link to some mkv movie trailers or something like that, the only ones i have found are Encode: Matroska, 171 MB, 2:12, 1920x804, H.264, 640 kbps 5.1 AC3 not . Not sure if you should expect this phone to play them at that encoding rate.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Guest Johnnyd1979

Or you could just save up 30$ more and buy a nexus 4.

Not 30$ here...

In the Euro(€) zone you can buy this for 175€ from China. The cheapest Nexus 4 is 299€.

124€ difference. You can buy 2 of these for the price of one Nexus 4 16gb.

Edited by Johnnyd1979

yeah heard about jelly bean update not sure why I would need root as there are no custom roms available.

Root isn't used for custom roms. Root is used to give apps extra permissions. Apps like adaway, chainfire, and root explorer use root.

Guest putbinoot

Not 30$ here...

In the Euro(€) zone you can buy this for 175€ from China. The cheapest Nexus 4 is 299€.

124€ difference. You can buy 2 of these for the price of one Nexus 4 16gb.

Yeah and also 8gb = 4.5gb and 16gb = 12.5gb so if you want space then you need sd card slot which nexus does not have. Will stick with my 32gb of goodness.

Root isn't used for custom roms. Root is used to give apps extra permissions. Apps like adaway, chainfire, and root explorer use root.

Point taken, but not going to use them, in saying that my g300 and nexus 7 are rooted as have been all my phones so know doubt when i get bored one day i will do it.