Jiayu G3

Guest putbinoot

Guest reganlives

Reganlives are you using stock rom or have you found an alternative?

I'm using the stock rom. Dont really want to try and modified ones yet. I'm currently running the most upto date ICS rom (Build number G3 20121129-082828). Would love to update to JB but from what I can see the update which has recently become available is beta so think I may wait for a more stable release. My phone is currently stable with no issues.

Guest RussellS

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. The only thing holding me back slightly is the fact that it only supports 3g @ 2100mhz. Does anyone have any opinions as to whether this is a major drawback or not. I would probably be using it with a GiffGaff sim which runs on the o2 network and so supports 3g on both the 900mhz & 2100mhz bands.

Also, is anyone using their Jiayu G3 with two sims in it. I was just wondering how this works as I've never used a dual sim phone before. I would want to have my work sim in one slot which I'm not allowed to use data on and a GiffGaff sim in the other slot which I would want to use for the 3g data. Would this work and can both sims be active at the same time.

I suppose my questions are:

1. Can it receive a call from either sim all the time.

2. What if you are talking on one sim and a call comes in on the other sim

3. Can you be browsing the internet using data on one sim and receive a call on the other sim

4. can you select which sim to use for data and turn it off on the other sim

5. Will the lack of WCDMA 900mhz be a drawback

I found various articles and youtube videos showing making a call on a dual sim phone and selecting which sim to use but nothing regarding the data side of it and receiving calls on two seperate sims.

Any advice on the above things would be most welcome.

Thanks

Edited by RussellS

Guest FrankieADZ

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. The only thing holding me back slightly is the fact that it only supports 3g @ 2100mhz. Does anyone have any opinions as to whether this is a major drawback or not. I would probably be using it with a GiffGaff sim which runs on the o2 network and so supports 3g on both the 900mhz & 2100mhz bands.

Also, is anyone using their Jiayu G3 with two sims in it. I was just wondering how this works as I've never used a dual sim phone before. I would want to have my work sim in one slot which I'm not allowed to use data on and a GiffGaff sim in the other slot which I would want to use for the 3g data. Would this work and can both sims be active at the same time.

3. Can you be browsing the internet using data on one sim and receive a call on the other sim

I found various articles and youtube videos showing making a call on a dual sim phone and selecting which sim to use but nothing regarding the data side of it and receiving calls on two seperate sims.

Thanks

hi,

ive had mine for a good month now and I have to say its well worth the money.

I'm using 2 sims in mine atm, tho all be it my main Sim is Orange/EE PAYG and the other is 3 3G Sim.

both seem to work fine, did have issues getting MMS with my orange sim but thats been fixed :)

on ur questions

1.Im not 100% sure tbf.

2. not sure either

3. yes you can, I've done this a number of times.

4. well 1 sim is GSM and another is WCDMA but I think u can get 3g on both. not 100% sure tho

5. I thought it would be a draw back, but then again. I never had it :wacko:

heres a thread where most us G3 owners tend to go, :)

:)

Guest putbinoot

Thanks

1-yes

2-no a call can't come in on the other sim the sims are dual standard not dual active. Two get round this set up call forwarding on each sim to the other or on one sim to the other which ever you want so when the unused sim is showing not available to the network that call will be forwarded to the sim you are talking on by your own network if you get what i mean.

3-yes

4-no need slot "G" is gsm only so not sure if you would get option of setting any data allowed by that sim.

5-no we only use 2100 in the uk. http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Guest RussellS

Thanks for your replies. I've pretty much decided to get one so it is now just a case of deciding where to get it from. The only thing concerning me aboput getting one from one of the Chinese suppliers is getting stung by import duty/tax by UK customs.

I'm very much at the dithering stage at the moment :unsure:

It doesn't help the fact that I am now running the Lightning rom on my G300 which is the best rom I've ever used on it and is a real credit to you Kyan31. My G300 is now working so well that I'm finding it hard to justify replacing it.

Guest Coffer52

Thanks for your replies. I've pretty much decided to get one so it is now just a case of deciding where to get it from. The only thing concerning me aboput getting one from one of the Chinese suppliers is getting stung by import duty/tax by UK customs.

I'm very much at the dithering stage at the moment :unsure:

It doesn't help the fact that I am now running the Lightning rom on my G300 which is the best rom I've ever used on it and is a real credit to you Kyan31. My G300 is now working so well that I'm finding it hard to justify replacing it.

Got mine from etotalk DHL delivery 72 hrs, no tax, great service and a fantastic phone.

Edited by Coffer52

Got mine from etotalk DHL delivery 72 hrs, no tax, great service and a fantastic phone.

How much.did.pay all together.is it heavier and thicker than g300.how do u you rate it.

Guest Coffer52

How much.did.pay all together.is it heavier and thicker than g300.how do u you rate it.

A bit heavier than the g300 but battery lasts for days. Cost $200 Including DHL delivery, brilliant phone, fast solid and quality.

Guest RussellS

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered one. Ordered the phone and a silicone case from Etotalk with DHL 3-7 day delivery for £142.

Looking forward to having a play with it.

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered one. Ordered the phone and a silicone case from Etotalk with DHL 3-7 day delivery for £142.

Looking forward to having a play with it.

great, let me know how you get on with it.

Guest RussellS

Did you get the Eotalk Mod Rom as well. I only ask because I wasn't sure what that was so I didn't add it to my order. Then when I got my order confirmation email it said that the phone as standard would not have Google Play Store etc as it is intended for the Chinese market. It then gave me the option of adding the Mod Rom to my order which will root the phone, remove the Chinese apps and add all the normal Google apps & Play Store.

I have now added that to my order.

Guest dbaseii

Did you get the Eotalk Mod Rom as well. I only ask because I wasn't sure what that was so I didn't add it to my order. Then when I got my order confirmation email it said that the phone as standard would not have Google Play Store etc as it is intended for the Chinese market. It then gave me the option of adding the Mod Rom to my order which will root the phone, remove the Chinese apps and add all the normal Google apps & Play Store.

I have now added that to my order.

• 1 month later...
Guest atfos

Hello, I have ordered one as well (frome antelife.com). I was thinking of waiting for G4, but the G3 is probably more than I need. One thing that still bothers me is the quality of GPS reception. I like to go on MTB routes and use software such as SpeedTracker and it is crucial for me that my phone is good in this department. So, can anyone confirm if the GPS reception on Jiayu G3 is adequate. Thank you.

P.S I really like all the previous posts, and think you are all doing a great thing here.

Guest kyan31
Anyone looking to get the G330 or G600?

Nope :D

Most of these phones are in another league compared to those phones, and for just over $160 its a bargain.

Oops just realized how old the comment is :P

Edited by kyan31