[B2G] Firefox OS for the Huawei Ascend G300 [ROM] [Last updated: 06/12]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest Dazzozo

Firefox OS (aka Boot to Gecko) for the Huawei Ascend G300!

This ROM only works on a device running baseband version 2030 that has been upgraded through the official Ice Cream Sandwich process. It is compatible with both the U8815 and U8818 models.

2012-12-06-00-37-13_thumb.png 2012-12-06-00-37-24_thumb.png 2012-12-06-00-37-52_thumb.png 2012-12-06-00-38-09_thumb.png

You have entered the not-Android zone! :D

What's this?

This is Mozilla's take on a mobile OS that is pretty much as far from Android as you can get with an Android device. It is not compatible with Android apps, and instead runs web apps in Gecko (Firefox's rendering engine). It's currently still in development and apparently won't be available commercially until sometime next year. You probably won't be using it as a daily because in many respects it is lacking, though the port matches and probably even somehow beats CM in terms of completion because of some magic it seems to be capable of performing regarding mobile network names. :o

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Firefox_OS

I mostly did this as a bit of fun and to see how much the device depended on CM when building from source. I hope it'll be a viable OS at some point in the future but for now it's fun to have a play with. :D Until it matures, this ROM is basically provided as-is and it'll be updated on less of a schedule compared to CM (which you may have noticed by now that we average weekly releases). It takes a huge amount of perseverance to crank a build out for this. :P

B2G also flashes some initial webapp data to the data partition -- if you wipe data with B2G installed it could potentially break the ROM, not sure, haven't tested. :P

Why does everything look a little disproportionate?

Because B2G is currently being built and tested on a certain device with 320x480 resolution. A lot of things are hardcoded and trust me, it was a lot worse before I hacked the lockscreen values for a resolution of 480x800. :P

Instructions:

• Boot in to Recovery by turning the phone off, and turning it on while holding the volume up key.
  • 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset'
  • 'Install zip from sdcard' -> 'Choose zip from sdcard' -> ROM
  • 'Reboot System Now'
  • Give it time - first boot takes longer than usual and it reboots once during the first boot. You may also sit on the Huawei splash screen for longer than usual because there is no boot animation.

Downloads:
    • ROM: http://g300.thebrona...1-b2g-u8815.zip

Credits:

• tilal6991 - being awesome and cradling me from birth to dev :P
      • Fagulhas - being a super co-"fixer of all the things" (co-developer) :D
      • alanorth - Ascend Y100 (U8185) relations - turns out they're pretty similar :)
      • qiwu huang, genokolar, omegamoon and PaulMilbank - various contributions during periods of insanity :D
      • The IRC regulars - fun times :P
      • Mozilla and everyone who works on B2G, as well as the CM team as the hardware support comes from CM repositories.
      • Hall of Fame (Donators):

[*]Arnette

[*]carstenheuer

[*]samjam x2

[*]Umrtvovacz x2

[*]sammyc77

[*]bladebuddy

[*]skobywan

[*]goekane x3

[*]Valicek1 x2

[*]Dildano

[*]22point8 x3

[*]ugnius40

[*]maritimesbob

[*]maniok1

[*]paddyponchero

[*]RussellS

[*]Matthew_Smithy

[*]tcpaulh

[*]dragpyre

[*]daewhin

[*]Cyda

[*]Hans Gruber

[*]grmn

[*]shockdj

[*]ScutulatusCrotalus

[*]Wanyal

[*]unaszplodrmann

[*]raoulteeuwen

[*]mack_

[*]lakyljuk

[*]pepdavies

[*]gnb10

[*]alastor66

[*]SdZ

[*]Cagliostro

[*]milamber77

[*]Titas

Guest Dazzozo

Looks not unlike android... homecreen, notification bar, settings..

Is this the first phone to get this working?

No (there's sort-of-official support for about 5 devices), but there definitely isn't many.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Is FM radio working???

This is looking promising! Thanks, Daz. When I purchased this phone, I never dreamt that it might be possible to unshackle it from Google and the Dalvik VM ;)

Guest flixblixclix

i know, it's been ported to galaxy S2 and it's like wow for me......

to see here on my Huawei to try entirely different OS which gives u the experience for html5 games......

i am downloading now and hope users will see this post early to post their views....

can anyone post a video to see how s this on huawei...... before my downloads complete....

Edited by flixblixclix

Guest flixblixclix

More work and improve CM9/10 and less experiment with operating systems useless.

Is a joke :P

we know what firefox s .... u will know what firefox os is.... don't be so silly to say useless .......

Edited by flixblixclix

Guest krishang3

Great work, its a good thing to play around with, for me the DPI seemed little too small... but i think its normal.

Typing is okay.

Lock screen is nice and different camera looks weird like its pixel And black and white at times

Reverted back to android but nice work daz.

Guest carrthee89

As daz already said its very very experimental..

Data not working

Back key not working

Ui is smooth

Looks very different from android

Made a cal, sent some sms... couldn't play games as it didn't open.

Overall its ok.. but keep it in mind that it will surely replace android. Time will tell the answer.

Another amazing work of daz..

Guest flixblixclix

some more screenshots.....

overall looks good ......

backbutton s main reason y i switched back to android now...

browsing seems to much faster on mozilla firefox....

scrolling also too good.....

overall i must say ,good work done by Dazz

post-977121-0-13731000-1354777921_thumb.

post-977121-0-78382000-1354778100_thumb.

Edited by flixblixclix

Guest krishang3
Thanks Daz! This is fully working rom or not?
its working alright but not fully...

Its a nice thing to see that his runs on the g300.

Daz also I this ROM getting any updates like regular ROMs or its just something you do to waste time...

Guest Dazzozo
its working alright but not fully...

Its a nice thing to see that his runs on the g300.

Daz also I this ROM getting any updates like regular ROMs or its just something you do to waste time...

2nd time, read the OP.

this is great news. since the very first news about this OS I wanted it on my phone. and now it's possible. thanks dazz.

anyone who installed this can make a list of features which don't work? i want to know if internet, camera, music, radio, gps work. thanks.

Guest flixblixclix

this is great news. since the very first news about this OS I wanted it on my phone. and now it's possible. thanks dazz.

anyone who installed this can make a list of features which don't work? i want to know if internet, camera, music, radio, gps work. thanks.

hmmmm.

internet via wifi tested.... works

camera works but when capture button s click...... u will be amazed with millions of colors... bt pics s good when captured...

music works

gps works.

as gps work.. radio will also work... havent tested...

overall smooth but annoys when u touch back button...... nothing happens.... manually click button in fire fox os interface.....