[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Am looking for a bit of assistance in getting CWM working on a LENOVO A830, I have managed to get Mobile Uncle tools onto the phone and can boot into 'a recovery' but am looking to get CWM installed with a view to installing custom roms, but having scoured the web I seem to be going around in circles.

Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Edit: Installed ROM MANAGER and found a recovery here ( http://www.needrom.com/mobile/lenovo-a830-7/comment-page-3/#comments ) but not sure what I am meant to do with it.

Am probably missing something simple (or else I am out of my depth!!).

add the recovery.img to your sdcard then use the update recovery option from mobile uncle 

Guest MickJack

You might be better off here...About £133 and comment from 10th Nov says in stock and ready to ship. I'd check with them first that they still have stock before ordering. Use paypal!

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-red-rice-wcdma_p/meri9833.htm

just emailed merimobiles to see if they still have stock, will go with paypal as advised, any other advice anybody - shipping, accessories, codes etc ? will be my first China buy if in stock and feeling a bit green. Thanks

Edited by MickJack

just emailed merimobiles to see if they still have stock, will go with paypal as advised, any other advice anybody - shipping, accessories, codes etc ? will be my first China buy if in stock and feeling a bit green. Thanks

Ask them to mark it down as a gift. You are more likely to avoid custom charges if you are using a courier service.

i just received the new back cover for my xaiocai x9 from china, got it from a seller on ebay...

very honest and quite fast delivery considering it was originally out of stock..

took 11 days to receive with free shipping.

not sure what else they sell but i would recommend the seller http://stores.ebay.co.uk/digitalfoundertech/

anyway, now i have a (Like) brand new xaiocai x9 for sale, from uk £100 delivered  (or if you want to make an offer PM me)

link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251379485995?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

its a great phone but with a nexus 4 then a nexus 5 it never got used  :(  (bought it just to be nosey lol)

-------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: The above is now sold to MickJack

Nexus 4 still available though for £180 + £5 delivery if anyone is interested ?

EDIT: The above is now also sold to rob4x4

Has anyone noticed a good sub$140 (DHL price Haier W910 offer recently? Two of my friends have seen the one I have and now they want me to get it for them as well.

DealsPrime standard price for Haier W910 is $127 last time I checked.

I think you can get a discount code easily enough to get a few % off.

Not sure how much extra for courier delivery. But remember that courier seems more likely to get stopped for taxes.

Edited by dalyer

The price is good but they charge $40 for DHL. :( I recieved one Haier through China Post. It took 36 days with a tax fee worth of $35 to arrive. The second one came through DHL in 8 days with no fee. I'll go with DHL again. :)

Had a chat with merimobiles last night. They said that at the moment they have plenty of stock of the WCDMA Xioami Hongmi.

I see you bought tillaz's xaiocai x9. Nice phone and a good price. Enjoy!  :D 

Guest MickJack

Had a chat with merimobiles last night. They said that at the moment they have plenty of stock of the WCDMA Xioami Hongmi.

I see you bought tillaz's xaiocai x9. Nice phone and a good price. Enjoy!  :D 

Thanks for your input rob,

yes redrice looks nice but a bird in the hand...... I am on the edge of playing with these things, x9 is coming with miui so that's new to me, should keep me amused for a while.

With motorola's introduction of the Moto G i'm sorry but MT6589 phones are basically dead. Xiaomi Hongmi may still be worth it but Motorola have put together a formidable phone in the price point and with a guaranteed 4.4 update soon I can't see a reason anymore to buy a MT6589 phone with their dodgy GPS.

Guest ChrisPNE

With motorola's introduction of the Moto G i'm sorry but MT6589 phones are basically dead. Xiaomi Hongmi may still be worth it but Motorola have put together a formidable phone in the price point and with a guaranteed 4.4 update soon I can't see a reason anymore to buy a MT6589 phone with their dodgy GPS.

All fair points but I'm not sure I could cope with a screen smaller than 5 inches and no micro SD.

Google are changing the market with the prices of the Moto G & recant nexus devices...

if only they had SDcard slots it would be hard to look at "any" other phone in my opinion, baffles me why they refuse to have micro SD on there devices.

i wonder why we don't see china phones using the Allwinner A31s? looks better than the MTK6589 or T

and the best of it, i think Allwinner actually release source as i'm sure i have seen tablets with Allwinner Soc running CyanogenMod...(Here)

it supports LTE, 3G, EDGE, and uses a newer version of the GPU in the MTK i think... and scores 20000+ on antutu

but the crazy thing, is that i have seen tablets with this Soc with 720p displays and 1GB RAM for only £60 :o (which i bought as an xmas gift) 

some info on the Soc

http://withimagination.imgtec.com/index.php/powervr/quad-core-allwinner-a31s-with-a-powervr-sgx544mp2-gpu-offers-a-complete-solution-for-phablets

more, its made for phablets / smartphones with 5? to 7? screens

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/02/28/allwinner-announces-a31s-processor-for-phablet-hints-about-ubuntu-devices/

Benchmark test of Allwinner A31s + 1GB RAM

Guest ChrisPNE
Google are changing the market with the prices of the Moto G & recant nexus devices... if only they had SDcard slots it would be hard to look at "any" other phone in my opinion, baffles me why they refuse to have micro SD on there devices.
To force people to use their cloud services and Google Play so they can harvest even more information and money. We've all sold them our souls anyway by getting a smartphone I suppose. Edited by ChrisPNE

never knew the Motorola moto G was waterproof...

paragraph above the spec's

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/14/motorola-moto-g-review-best-budget-smartphone-135

Gorilla Glass also covers the screen, making it scratch resistant, while a

nano waterproof coating on the inside and out of the Moto G makes it

water repellent and splash proof."

wonder if it uses liquipel

Google needs to think of its partners too. If they start selling subsidized Nexus' and Motos with all the missing features who will buy bloatwares from Samsung and Sony and wait for OS updates for eternity?

Google are changing the market with the prices of the Moto G & recant nexus devices...

if only they had SDcard slots it would be hard to look at "any" other phone in my opinion, baffles me why they refuse to have micro SD on there devices.

Guest apple2005

i just received the new back cover for my xaiocai x9 from china, got it from a seller on ebay...

very honest and quite fast delivery considering it was originally out of stock..

took 11 days to receive with free shipping.

not sure what else they sell but i would recommend the seller http://stores.ebay.co.uk/digitalfoundertech/

anyway, now i have a (Like) brand new xaiocai x9 for sale, from uk £100 delivered (or if you want to make an offer PM me)

link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251379485995?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

its a great phone but with a nexus 4 then a nexus 5 it never got used :( (bought it just to be nosey lol)

EDIT: The above is now sold to MickJack

Nexus 4 still available though for £180 + £5 delivery if anyone is interested ?

Can you or someone else tell me something about eBay? I have never bought anything from eBay. How do it work? Do they ship to middle east? Their prices compared to Chinese stores? Do they accept PayPal? I shall be thankful in advance.