[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest blaster99999

lol, the "real" price of the G4 is only 999 yuan / £105, its the world wide retailers who are slapping on the extra...

its tempting me to take a little trip to china and buy a load of them, then re-sell in the uk for £120 ohmy.png haha

Put me down for a black one

Guest blaster99999

Must admite , does my head in seeing all these quad core phones for £100 notes , but you try getting one at that price , I've got a zte v970 on its way to put me on cost me about £78

Edited by blaster99999

Guest dakok

Must admite , does my head in seeing all these quad core phones for £100 notes , but you try getting one at that price , I've got a zte v970 on its way to put me on cost me about £78

And the link is....

or Huawei G510 dual core for £130 :D to name but one...

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri8610.htm

~100 quids

Edited by dakok

Guest Colossae3.23

For the sake of argument thought I would ask, are Chinese imports still worth it ??

Looking at the prices for the umi x2 and the jiayu g4 inclusive of courier they have reached or are approaching £200. Take into account the problems if they go wrong and it brings me back to the title are Chinese imports worth it?

Surely there must be a UK supplied phone that would be a good bet around this price, even if not quad core?

I'm beginning to think this way too. And these 2 phones haven't really seen the light of day yet. All the hype and nothing to really show for it, so far. Maybe the price will drop a few months after all the fuss. If it doesn't, I reckon I'm looking elsewhere.

Guest Rico_89

For the sake of argument thought I would ask, are Chinese imports still worth it ??

Looking at the prices for the umi x2 and the jiayu g4 inclusive of courier they have reached or are approaching £200. Take into account the problems if they go wrong and it brings me back to the title are Chinese imports worth it?

Surely there must be a UK supplied phone that would be a good bet around this price, even if not quad core?

The only phone I can think of is the G510. However if you look at what you can get from china, delivered for the price of the 510, then Chinese phones are still worth it IMO... You can get a Jiayu G3 on eBay for £130 delivered from china with a 2 week returns policy and a 6 to 12 month warranty. And the specs on the G3 are a lot better than the 510.

The only real risk is that "what happens if..." spidy sense we all have. Well I hope I'll be able to send it back, for a replacement but because of the risk of being out of pocket then that makes me limit my purchase to around £150. I personally am in no rush and wouldn't buy anything until around June/ July so I hope by then things are much clearer.

Guest Colossae3.23

You may even run into a single core phone around that price, if lucky...

:D

Just been looking at completed listings for new Nokia Lumia 820's on eBay uk, and most are selling for under £200, some around £150. They're dual core and have a good camera, as well as a high contrast screen, that's good in sunlight. The low res, doesn't bother me too much. Don't crucify me, but I think Win8 is a cracking OS, and the app store is steadily improving...

Guest Rico_89

Just been looking at completed listings for new Nokia Lumia 820's on eBay uk, and most are selling for under £200, some around £150. They're dual core and have a good camera, as well as a high contrast screen, that's good in sunlight. The low res, doesn't bother me too much. Don't crucify me, but I think Win8 is a cracking OS, and the app store is steadily improving...

That's a big risk buying new phones from random sellers on eBay. Most likely they are selling there upgrades and I've heard how the phone can lock after a month or two, not to mention that if the phone is faulty then you're out of luck.

Also windows 8 phones.. OMG no lol.

Guest Wacky.ddw

I made my attempt on a chinese phone. After all the talk here i decided to start with this one.

http://www.pandawill...ack-p74583.html

Hopefully Tillaz will buy the same and have a rom :D !!

I hope not! :P I hope he will buy the UMI x2 or the Jiayu G4.

I think i will just buy the same one :P because i really cant decide.

Ive heard that the Jiayu has crappy buttons because they are in the back cover so that would really be a bummer while the UMI X2 seems to have a really good build quality.

The UMI also has the updated MTK6589 1.5ghz processor instaid of 1.2ghz but Jiayu might also upgrade.

Then there is the battery i really like the big 3000mah battery in the jiayu because a long lasting battery really is a must since my 3G is allways on and the UMI only has a 2500mah battery wich is less then the samsung S4 and with the 1080p screen i asume it will consume a lot of power.

Also i prefere the design of the Jiayu over the UMI altough the UMI also looks nice.

1 thing i know for sure it has to have 2GB ram.

Jiayu: Crappy buttons, big battery and cheaper, beautyfull design (but they keep delaying)

UMI: Not enough battery, strong build quality, better CPU (for now), better/bigger screen. (Lauched 15 may but i dont know about the 2GB ram version)

I cant wait for reall reviews to see wich comes out best. Wich takes the best pictures wich has the best benchmark scores etc...

UMI X2 turbo benchmark scores:

http://www.gizchina....-mt6589t-power/

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest kieranswhite

Umi are also in the progress of making an English site. Think I'm gonna get an x2 turbo. Over 14000 on antutu which is impressive :)

Guest Wacky.ddw

What happened to this one you ordered did you cancel it??

No i didnt but mentoo contacted me to say that the umi youth might be a better option if i pay the difference they send me a free 32tf card. I mailed them that i want the premium version and that i am willing to wait. Untill then i hope review will pop up

Guest Rico_89

Personally I'd like a 2gb version but it all depends on the price. I mean how long are you going to use a phone for? If your network starts a good 4g plan, over the next year, then you'll probably start looking for a 4g phone.

I'd rather get a 1gb version than pay a premium for an extra gig of ram and in the next twelve to eighteen months buy another phone, and who knows maybe the G5 or X3 will be out by then with 4g and Octa-core. :D

Guest Wacky.ddw

I've hear that the 2gb models are getting delayed to the beginning of august :( guess i will have to go for a 1gb then. I am just afraid 1gb wont be enough because this time i really want a super fast phone that doenst lag at all.

Guest dakok

You need a fast and reliable phone, fastest one could easily dissapoint you :-)

Anyway, while looking for such phone, try to look for its native chinese name. Then look for that phone's chinese forums.

If you can find standard chinese roms (Miui, Shendu, Baidu, Lewa..) made for that model - you found the right one.

Chinese wont bother to make roms for a bad phone...

Guest kyan31

I might end up getting an UMI after seeing the Turbo version, it looks awesome :D

Also, I'm not fond of the Jiayu's build quality. Its pretty tacky if I say so myself, I dunno how I overlooked that before :ph34r:

Guest tillaz

most accurate clone phone i have seen lol £139 http://www.fastcardtech.com/HDC-ONE

some other interesting quad core i seen on fastcardtech

£86

http://www.fastcardtech.com/DOOV-D1

snapdragon MSM8225Q £114

http://www.fastcardt...iaolajiao-LA-M1

£106

http://www.fastcardtech.com/Xiaocai-G6

£120

http://www.fastcardt...com/ALPS-VOW-V5

£119 OGS Display

http://www.fastcardtech.com/VOWNEY-V5

Guest bryfly

Thanks for the info , gone from confused to really confused about what to get..... ;) , guess none of these have gorilla glass,read on a forum that for a 5" screen this is a must have ?

Guest tillaz

Thanks for the info , gone from confused to really confused about what to get..... wink.png , guess none of these have gorilla glass,read on a forum that for a 5" screen this is a must have ?

not sure if they have, but gorilla glass is not the only tempered glass around, its just the one people know (brand name)

dragontail glass is said to be 6 times stronger (Xperia z uses it) and is a Chinese brand i think.

as far as i am aware they all have tempered glass, just might not be made by corning (gorilla)

but even gorilla glass 2 can shatter if dropped from as little as waist height, look on YouTube :unsure:

Guest bryfly

Tillaz.........you mentioned you bought your parents a couple of dual core phones H7500........how are they performing...........from memory they were made by Star...