[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest apple2005

Hi all,

I have installed MIUI ROM successfully in my zopo zp950 plus. But it is very new to me. The first thing I encountered is failure of updates. It says updates are available. But when I click on update, it take me to my TWRP recovery. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thanks.

If anyone has ordered from HOTINBUY.COM recently it is a scam website. The site no longer exists. If you have paid by PayPal and not received your goods then raise a claim

Guest Frankish

It has come to my attention that these Chinese phones are bad for your bank account there is way too much choice and variation. I'm loving my THL W200 all except it could do with better battery life, sure it has two batteries but it's a pain to swap.

I'm now looking at the MI3 and thinking should i buy when it is available?! I'll maybe see what Google come up with next but it will have to be amazing to beat the MI3.

Judging by rumored/leaked specs i think maybe the MI3 is the best choice!

On a side note why can't all companies release phones with software as stock as possible like the W200 it's a great stock rom.

Edited by Frankish

It has come to my attention that these Chinese phones are bad for your bank account there is way too much choice and variation. I'm loving my THL W200 all except it could do with better battery life, sure it has two batteries but it's a pain to swap.

I'm now looking at the MI3 and thinking should i buy when it is available?! I'll maybe see what Google come up with next but it will have to be amazing to beat the MI3.

Judging by rumored/leaked specs i think maybe the MI3 is the best choice!

On a side note why can't all companies release phones with software as stock as possible like the W200 it's a great stock rom.

the nexus 5 has a forum on xda now, with loads of info including a 7 minute leaked video of the phone

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5

i have also heard it will be £189.99 for the 16GB version with 2300mah battery,  or £249.99 for 32GB and 3000mah battery.

all should be revealed in two days though  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ksOJl0PDDg

Google Nexus 5 (LG D821) Official Technical Specifications:

Display: 4.95-inch IPS LCD HD, 1920 X 1080 px

Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800

Ram: 2GB RAM

Camera: 8MP Rear with OIS (optical image stabalizer), 1.3MP Front

Storage: 16 and 32GB internal

Battery: 2,300mAh

Network: UMTS/GSM/CDMA/LTE (Micro SIM card slot)

Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Pressure, Proximity, Ambient Light

Connectivity: HDMI via Slimport, NFC, Wireless charging, Bluetooth 4.0

Dimensions: 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm

Weight: 139.5 g

Other: Notification light

Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat

To recap, the Xiaomi Mi3 consists of a screen  5 inch Full HD  1920 x 1080 pixels with glass  Corning Gorilla Glass 3 ,  LPDDR3 2GB RAM ,  16 or 64GB eMMC 4.5 ROM  choice of a Sony 13 MP camera f/2.0 with dual LED flash, a 2 MP front camera, Wi-Fi 5 GHz, the  3G WCDMA 900/1900/2100 MHz , Bluetooth 4.0, the  NFC , a Micro USB OTG connectivity, GPS and a 3050 battery mAh.

xiaomi-mi3-08-300x282.jpg

Are you willing to wait another two months to offer you one of the best Android smartphones in the world at unbeatable prices or do you think that the  Google Nexus 5  will be able to dethrone him?

Are you willing to wait another two months to offer you one of the best Android smartphones in the world at unbeatable prices or do you think that the  Google Nexus 5  will be able to dethrone him?

not sure i understand, do you think the MI3 is the better phone?

lol - I'm just trying to figure that out.  Nexus is easier to buy, easier to run  - the safest choice.  Looks like Mi3 battery spec & camera spec is better tho & maybe the Gorillla Glass 3 screen?   Haven't compared them in any depth tho. - in fact I've been following your info & comments with interest.  I'll probably hang back until the dust settles around these two or even the Red Rice WCDMA & buy one as an early Xmas present.  I've no idea which one yet tho! :blink:       

Guest Frankish

If the N5 specs are true and they hit those prices tillaz posted then the Mi3 is the better phone but the N5 is the best value for money plus updates.... And it's bound to get a MIUI port and a decent one too hopefully.

i like both phones, but.

the MI3 has no LTE/4G and 3 are updating their network in the uk for no additional cost at the end of the year (big thing for me LTE/4G)
and i like miui but would not like to be stuck with it.

best thing about a nexus for me is been able to build fully working CM / AOKP / PA etc, and port MIUI when its updated to 4.4
hardware wise they are nearly the same, even LG is providing the display from what i read, but i personally would choose the nexus 5

i also heard rumours that the 8mp camera is using new tech which would make it better if true (MEMS sensor)
super fast focus and stuff, i watched a video of it will see if i can find it again 

here, the vids at the bottom

Guest Frankish

Yeah the fact it will have a variety of roms etc and i'm also on Three but i think the 3g is fast enough i have near instant page loading when browsing websites. Spend most my time on wifi too anyway...

I really want a bigger battery though love the size of my W200 but the battery life is pitiful! 

Edited by Frankish

Yeah the Nexus is less hassle now & in future.  As for camera rumours abound but either way it looks pretty good

"Details on the Nexus 5's camera have, up until now, been a little murkier. Previous rumours of an 8MP camera with a MEMS sensor (for focusing after shots have been taken) appear to have been false.

According to the Nexus 5 service manual, it'll pack in an 8MP camera with Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) instead, which is very good news for smartphone photographers, if the LG G2's OIS-enabled camera is anything to go by.

It should empower the Nexus 5 with particularly impressive low-light shooting capabilities, allowing for longer exposures to capture more light without increasing blurriness."
Edited by Titas

It has come to my attention that these Chinese phones are bad for your bank account there is way too much choice and variation.

This thread is bad for your bank account!!, if I could just buy a phone, leave it as I bought it, use it and ignore any other ones that are highlighted here I am sure I would be fine!!

Off to put MIUI rom on the THL W200 now............

!!! Now I know what I mean by getting a phone and just leaving it, tried flashing the MIUI Rom, but it does not appear to have gone well, getting an 'unfortunately process com.android.phone has stopped' error!! Time to seek help on MIUI forum!! Should have left well enough alone!!

Edited by SG8

You flashing the Russian port as that worked fine for me. Julien edition or whatever it's called.

Don't think so, flashed Lewa rom from Needrom and that flashed fine, but there appears to be bits in Russian and did not take to the whole look of the thing anyway, so have flashed back to stock for the moment.

Downloaded the MIUI from this thread on the site: http://en.miui.com/thread-7898-1-1.html

Will try and locate the russian one you mention, if you have a link, could you post it ?

UPDATE!! Found it on PW user forum, with a download link. https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=t81udFP%2BZqVr%2BpBGVfPWBzwEw4%2Bna91qxuPbzhzmRzs%3D&locale=en

Got it working!! Now to play around with it a bit!

Edited by SG8

Guest Frankish

Don't think so, flashed Lewa rom from Needrom and that flashed fine, but there appears to be bits in Russian and did not take to the whole look of the thing anyway, so have flashed back to stock for the moment.

Downloaded the MIUI from this thread on the site: http://en.miui.com/thread-7898-1-1.html

Will try and locate the russian one you mention, if you have a link, could you post it ?

UPDATE!! Found it on PW user forum, with a download link. https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=t81udFP%2BZqVr%2BpBGVfPWBzwEw4%2Bna91qxuPbzhzmRzs%3D&locale=en

Yeah that's the latest one find all updates here...

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=492598&st=1040#entry25546331

Open in chrome and translate :)

It appears both are the russian one by George land, however one is slightly different to the other. One has viper audio mod and the other doesn't not sure which is newest build though?

Edited by Frankish

Guest apple2005

One thing with Miui flashing you need to know.

Dont flash gapps with rom.

Flash miui. Reboot. Flash gapps.

I installed MIUI ROM successfully in my zopo ZP950H but was having problems with the calls. The calls were diverted to one sim which is a data sim. I swapped the sims but still the calls were diverted to the same sim. I don't know why?

Do you have the same problem? I had to uninstall and install the stock ROM.

Guest george109

Got a merimobiles code for you:

post-1000829-0-72448800-1381868444_thumb

Sorry for the horrible image, I have just copied it from their newsletter!

EDIT: Cropped in paint, no more horrible flashing!  ;) 

Edited by george109

One thing with Miui flashing you need to know.

Dont flash gapps with rom.

Flash miui. Reboot. Flash gapps.

Flashed MIUI, played around with it, installed all my apps, all running smoothly, (still having problems with SD card though), wandering around the house, popped the phone into my shirt pocket, missed, phone hits tiled floor.......GAME OVER!!! screen cracked!!!, no response to touch. And was only looking at buying a case for it online today!! Gutted!!!