[Q] re partitioning of internal memory?

Guest raverrr

Guest raverrr

hi folks,

just wondering if anyone has tried to repartition the internal memory of the G300? it would be nice to be able to use some of the spare system space to increase data partition.

The modaco rom is the only rom I know which has done this. The only downside with it (IMO) is that it makes some serious low level changes so it makes testing other roms a bit of a pain because you can't simply make a nandroid and flash back later because you have to revert the partition changes first.

An alternative (and less drastic) way of turning that 2GB internal storage to usable app storage is by using my Link2Int mod.

Edited by Cyda

Guest raverrr

The modaco rom is the only rom I know which has done this. The only downside with it (IMO) is that it makes some serious low level changes so it makes testing other roms a bit of a pain because you can't simply make a nandroid and flash back later because you have to revert the partition changes first.

An alternative (and less drastic) way of turning that 2GB internal storage to usable app storage is by using my Link2Int mod.

cheers, I'm aware of the partition swap in the modaco Rom. is that not just setting the default data storage to the internal 2 gig card? I meant something along the lines of what amphoras used to do with the ZTE phones. (TPT method). I haven't got a lack of storage problem I just wondered if it was possible. I'm on cm9 at the minute and it just pains me to see all the free space in the system Rom partition sitting there unused. Cheers for the reply :-)

No, I've not seen anyone brave enough attempt a complete re-size of the partitions. Paul's method switched the /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p19 mount points around but that is as far as anyone has taken it that I know of.

Edited by Cyda

I have tested it, in terminal as root (su), manualy, fdisk type to 83 mmcblk0p19, mkfs ext4, connect to PC, copy data/data to new partition, disconect, mount to data/data.

Is posible do script to init.d, not tested. Because a did small mistake when reverting back i typed mkfs.vfat mmcblk0 instead mmcblk0p19, so, phone died :-), i was realy surprised because no way to recover it, is not posible to reflash chip over JTAG/RS232 or if flash programmer. Autorized service swapped whole mainboard.

Guest raverrr

I have tested it, in terminal as root (su), manualy, fdisk type to 83 mmcblk0p19, mkfs ext4, connect to PC, copy data/data to new partition, disconect, mount to data/data.

Is posible do script to init.d, not tested. Because a did small mistake when reverting back i typed mkfs.vfat mmcblk0 instead mmcblk0p19, so, phone died :-), i was realy surprised because no way to recover it, is not posible to reflash chip over JTAG/RS232 or if flash programmer. Autorized service swapped whole mainboard.

Ouch...Sorry for your loss lol. I'm just going to see if i can edit the files that define the partition sizes when you TPT your phone. On the ZTE phones i used to use these files came with every official update. Im just hoping they will be present in the b952 firmware i'm downloading now. Downside being that the ROM needs to be re-flashed after. But if i can figure it out thats a small price to pay for the extra 170mb of app space IMO. Ofcourse if all bricking my phone in the process would be a big price to pay....... I proceed with caution.

Guest Davidoff59

if you do a search on modaco, you will see a discussion about update.app disassembly. There is a tool for doing it in that thread, but I'm not sure if its only for GB. It splits out the individual components in the rom. While we don't have the keys to resign it, if you can extract the 'tpt' process from it, we may get somewhere.

Pretty sure Tillaz method bricked a device but it was a test so people knew the risks. I'm not sure what method he used so if we can find out his process, it may help eliminate or perfect another method.

Guest raverrr

if you do a search on modaco, you will see a discussion about update.app disassembly. There is a tool for doing it in that thread, but I'm not sure if its only for GB. It splits out the individual components in the rom. While we don't have the keys to resign it, if you can extract the 'tpt' process from it, we may get somewhere.

Pretty sure Tillaz method bricked a device but it was a test so people knew the risks. I'm not sure what method he used so if we can find out his process, it may help eliminate or perfect another method.

Yer the perl script struggles to split the update. and although the files im after may be there, like you say we have no way of putting it back together to flash it via the download mode.... That sucks man. I was hoping it was going to be as simple as for the blade.

@davidoff:

Now that you say it, i faintly remember that someone else tried their hand at this and the conclusion was pretty much "unless we obtain the software to do so from huawei it's a no go"

Bowlocks....

Guest tcpaulh

afaik the update.app needs to be signed and we haven't found a way to disable that requirement.

I've extracted update.apps without a problem using the perl script. I think it needed renaming to updata.app first. Also there are a couple of versions floating around.

Edit: Attached the one I used

split_updata.zip

Edited by tcpaulh

Guest raverrr

So is it the memory board itself which is locked down and we need the keys for?

It's the update.app that we cant rebuild. So in essence yes. Unless anyone has the tool and are just keeping realy quiet about it lol. But thats only half of the problem. The other half is that with the garbled output that script is giving me I cant even identify the files that would need modding should we ever manage to put an update.app together. The system came out fine but it looks like the script auto names the files it doesn't recognise to file1,file2,file3 etc and im not much of a script kiddie.

Conclusion: Not going to happen.

Guest tcpaulh
AMSSMBN.img 22,760,448 AMSS modem binary image

appsboothd.mbn 40 lk bootloader binary

boot.img 4,462,592 Kernel, ramdisk and boot config

boot_versions.txt 40 Encoded list of roms?

cust.img 41,943,040 Huawei custom settings eg toggles, boot animation, locale, language

file01.mbn 80 HD-file

file02.mbn 40 HD-file

file04.mbn 9,508 could be QCSBL_CFGDATA

file05.mbn 641,424 extracting / flashing / controlling program

file07.mbn 40 HD-File

file18.mbn 128 MD5_RSA

file20.mbn 40 HD-File

file21.mbn 38,962 ADSP ?

recovery.img 5,146,624 The recovery and update environment’s kernel and ramdisk. Similar to BOOT.

system.img 396,361,728 The OS partition, static and read-only.

unknown_file.0 405 OEMSBL_Version-List

unknown_file.1 24,576 Config-File (?)

unknown_file.10 20 AMSS-Version

unknown_file.2 145,844 qcsbl.mbn(?) Qualcomm Secondary Bootloader (?)

unknown_file.3 25 OEMSBL_Version

unknown_file.4 3,145,728 MODEM_ST1

unknown_file.5 3,145,728 MODEM_ST2

unknown_file.6 768,000 Boot-Splashlogo (RAW565 480x800)

unknown_file.7 3,864,000 Install-Pictures (Updateing 1/2, Installing 2/2, one RAW565, 480 width, 4025 height)

unknown_file.8 205,108 fastboot (?)

unknown_file.9 330 AMSS_Version_List

userdata.img 155,189,248 default /data/app applications?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...