[APP] Seeder - Reduces lag in Android.

Guest omegavesko

Guest Simon O

This has got even more confusing now. Cyanogen himself has posted

This is all fascinating, and I'm not totally dismissing that something is happening here.

Qualcomm devices have a hardware random device, which when coupled with the qrngd daemon feeds the kernel entropy pool. In normal operation of Android, I *never* see this pool actually get low unless running the qrngtest tool, in which case qrngd just fills it right back up.

Looking in drivers/char/random.c though, the functions which are called in the interrupt, input, and block device paths have an inner function add_timer_randomness which calls preempt_disable().

As a totally non scientific test, I turned all of these functions into no-ops and recompiled. This way, we're ONLY relying on the hardware RNG.

There's no change in entropy available because random numbers really just aren't being used all that often.

But now, I'm seeing a modest increase in interactivity on the device. Certain things feel smoother, and there is less UI jank. There's no change in frequency scaling or power usage as proposed earlier. qrngtest passes just fine as well.

What's going on here? I'm not entirely sure. We're either all crazy, or this is tickling a subtle scheduling bug in the kernel. More investigation is needed.

Gahhh. I'm just going to lie down until somebody knows 100% if it doesn't work or it does work.

Guest razzmataz1478
I read on Google+ that Ricardo Cerqueira (CM Dev) called BS on it. Just gonna find the link

http://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13zvjlz2uvbxvs2w23wjzkagyveej4wa04

Yes I've seen this...look at the comments on that post.

Arcee is completely set on it being rubbish, and as flibblesan has posted Steve Kondik isn't dismissing it. There's some interesting comments on the Google code page, look around #90. Google aren't even sure themselves.

Guest tilal6991

Man it's a mess. Basically the situation is of now is that people are split. No one can find what's using this place so people are dismissing it. However, Steve and others (me included) have noticed that this makes stuff smoother. It is very confusing.

Guest omegavesko

Man it's a mess. Basically the situation is of now is that people are split. No one can find what's using this place so people are dismissing it. However, Steve and others (me included) have noticed that this makes stuff smoother. It is very confusing.

Basically my thoughts on this as well. The Android community never has been keen on agreeing on things, to be fair. There are still people who claim that task killers are good.

Guest dejanmil

i havent expirienced nothing else but faster preformance, battery is stable as normal, might be its performing diferent on diferent devices...its just awsome for me.

Guest oscar-mark

Thanks for the link.

I can't see what you're arguing about, the app DOES work, how can you say it doesn't?! It makes my Arc S much smoother, now if it drains battery that's another thing, it still speeds up the phone, you can't deny that, and I haven't seen any difference in battery life yet.

And the app is free on XDA, can't you be glad for that instead of complaining on the devs for putting it up on the Play Store for a very small price, they even let you include it for free in your ROMs.

(don't kill me, friendly forum)

Edited by oscar-mark

Guest razzmataz1478
Thanks for the link.

I can't see what you're arguing about, the app DOES work, how can you say it doesn't?! It makes my Arc S much smoother, now if it drains battery that's another thing, it still speeds up the phone, you can't deny that, and I haven't seen any difference in battery life yet.

And the app is free on XDA, can't you be glad for that instead of complaining on the devs for putting it up on the Play Store for a very small price, they even let you include it for free in your ROMs.

(don't kill me, friendly forum)

We are glad, but how can you try to make money on something that's not proven to work. Ok, try and make some money on something that you know works. But if you don't, then this could be called a scam.

I'm not saying in anyway this is a scam, it definitely makes my phone faster, but how?

And until how is answered, I don't think the dev of this app should try to make money. Just my (neutral) opinion right now.

Guest oscar-mark

Haha, yeah! All the devs are pissed.

No, but he's offering it for free on XDA, I think the Play Store app is for those who've tried it, and want to support the developer.