ClockworkMod Superuser - Beta 0 released

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

Koush, developer and creator of ClockworkMOD, ROM Manager, Carbon, DeskSMS, ClockworkMOD Tether, Loggy and several other indispensable apps, is releasing his own version of Superuser, the application which controls root access to your device.

But why? In Koush's own words...

• Superuser should be open source. It's the gateway to root on your device. It must be open for independent security analysis. Obscurity (closed source) is not security.
  • Superuser should be NDK buildable. No internal Android references.
  • Superuser should also be AOSP buildable for those that want to embed it in their ROM.
  • Maintenance and updates on both the market and source repositories should be timely.
  • I want to be able to point users of my app to a Superuser solution that I wrote, that I know works, and that I can fix if something is wrong. Yes, this is selfish: Carbon does not work with some versions of Chainsdd's Superuser. SuperSU works great, but I am not comfortable pointing a user to a closed source su implementation.
  • Handle multiuser (4.2+) properly
  • Handle concurrent su requests properly

Koush has just launched ClockworkMod Superuser - Beta 0 for the brave to try out. You can grab the release from ROM Manager or install the test zip manually from your chosen custom recovery.

Features in ClockworkMod Superuser include:
  • Multiuser support
  • Open source https://github.com/koush/Superuser
  • Free
  • Leverages Android's permission model
  • Logging (and per app logging)
  • Pretty UI
  • PIN Protection
  • Request Timeout
  • Customize notifications
  • x86 and ARM support.
  • Handle concurrent su requests properly
  • NDK clean
  • Eventually there will be an installation/upgrade process in the APK itself, but for now, installation must be done via recovery (as the app should live in /system).

Warning: The superuser.zip above is for both ARM and x86, it is a beta, and neither MoDaCo or Koush are responsible if you brick your device using it.

If you are looking at building ClockworkMOD Superuser into your AOSP, AOKP, PA, MIUI or CyanogenMOD ROM, visit Koush's GitHub.

[Via:Koushik Dutta]

Click here to view the item

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.