GPS Problem Solved with CM9/10 ROMs

Guest SteveCl

Guest SteveCl

A while back under the Tital's CFX3 thread I posted an issue concerning a long standing problem I'd had with GPS. The problem was that when I used GPS in several applications (Goggle Maps, My Tracks and Copilot) some part of the process got stuck on when I exited the application and turned off GPS. It prevented the phone from going into deep sleep. I got a message in the notification drawer about the GPS fix that couldn't be swiped off. The only way to get the phone back to normal was a full reboot. Otherwise I found that a few hours later that the battery was flat.

I had this problem with CFX2 and CFX3 and Parnoid Android . I've tried a complete reinstall (including all wipes and reformating the SD card) - but the problem persisted.

For a while I switched back to a Android 2.3 ROM and all was OK.

That got me thinking so I did some searching around to see whether it was a problem for other Android 4 ROMs and phones - and it was!

I found many people reporting similar problems on different Anroid 4 ROMs and different phones - even a few stock ROMs.

Anyway - the solution for me was to turn off "Location Access" in Android settings.

As best I can make out there is some sort of conflict between GPS and "Wi-Fi & Mobile Network Location" services which creates a wakelock stoping the phone going to sleep. Turning off "Location Access" prevents the conflict and the phone goes to sleep as normal.

I think it may work if you just turn off "Wi-Fi & Mobile Network Location" services (i.e. leaving "GPS Satalites" ticked on) - but I've not fully tested this yet.

If any of you are having similar problems you might want to try this work around.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest Wacky.ddw

Well i also have the problem that GPS wont work on android 4 roms but what you say doesnt solve it for me :( GPS works fine on android 2 roms

Guest SteveCl

Wacky

Sorry this didn't work for you.

Was your problem the same as mine?

For me GPS was working - it just would not turn off properly afterwards and as a result caused some kind of wakelock and huge battery drain.

Guest xander21

GPS doesnt work at all for me on ParanoidAndroid (2.+ and 3.+) and one other made by C3C0 maybe RootBox but not sure.

And many time it wasn't turning of and a reboot was needed or phone was rebooting itself after few minutes.

I tried to patch gps.conf and update AGPS list (i think it was doing this) but nothing solved the problem.

I have offer to debug my phone with help but no one looked interested.

Many people tell me to go back to stock rom but i didn't find out to which one and how.

Edited by xander21

Guest SteveCl

GPS doesnt work at all for me on ParanoidAndroid (2.+ and 3.+) and one other made by C3C0 maybe RootBox but not sure.

And many time it wasn't turning of and a reboot was needed or phone was rebooting itself after few minutes.

I tried to patch gps.conf and update AGPS list (i think it was doing this) but nothing solved the problem.

I have offer to debug my phone with help but no one looked interested.

Many people tell me to go back to stock rom but i didn't find out to which one and how.

xander - sorry it sounds like your problem is different to mine.

I'm no great expert, however, if you wanted to try going back to a standard but debranded ROM, you could try following this guide. http://montecarlopho...arlo-zte-skate/

It seems pretty straightforward,clearly written, and provides links to the necessary files.

Please note - this is a UK guide. The unbranded ROM may, therefore, be UK specific. If your phone is from another country it may not be right for you. You'll need to do some searching around for the correct stock ROM version for your country.

Edited by SteveCl

Guest xander21

People said stock roms doesn't work with recovery so i give up.

Yet, i can try a CM based on an older version of android.

edit : I tried CM7 this morning but problem was the same. So i think my GPS chip is dead.

Edited by xander21