BBC iPlayer is coming to the Windows Phone platform

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

BBC iPlayer is finally coming to Windows Phone 7 and 8, so is this implementation any different to Android or iOS?

To quote Cyrus Saihan, head of Business Development, BBC Future Media...

Today I can let you know that we have signed a deal with Microsoft that will enable us to bring BBC iPlayer to the Windows phone platform.

We will be releasing a shortcut to BBC iPlayer in the near future which will be available in the Windows Phone Store, enabling the BBC iPlayer website to work on Windows Phone 7.5 and 8 via a live tile.

This shortcut will wrap the BBC iPlayer mobile website together with our media player.

Just a live tile with a web link? Sound's like a 3rd class citizen behind the current broken mess that Android users are having to deal with on Google Play, which currently has 6,258 1 star reviews!

[Via: BBC]

Click here to view the item

Guest unrandomsam

It could be the best implimentation if they just reuse the existing fairplay drm'ed wmv and add zune drm to them.

Silverlight streaming seems inherently better than flash / air.

(At least the few examples I have seen anyway).

iplayer is already on the 360 (I thought the way that sort of stuff was implemented should allow some reuse).

If it is just using the html5 thing that the iphone uses that would be ok as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.