HTC One: Rooting with Superboot / bootloader unlock - a problem?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

So you've got your HTC One and you want to root, of course you do! I've made a superboot for you... but there might be a problem.

This is how it should work...

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r2 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: e80de2f2ed6e1d87623577f18c8c7d2b

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' button pressed to enter the bootloader (see note below)

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Note: You need to unlock the bootloader on your device before you can enter bootloader mode - use the htcdev site to do this.

Easy, right?

BUT... there appears to be a problem.

I've created and tested this Superboot on a bootloader unlocked, S-Off device I have here and it works fine.

I also have a retail, bootloader unlocked, S-On device and, well, it doesn't work. What should happen is that unlocking the bootloader enables the device to boot unsigned images either via a 'fastboot boot' or via a partition flash. What is actually happening is that neither of these work, so unlocking the bootloader appears to basically do nothing. :(

Devices sold on O2 in Germany appear to be slightly different in that they can boot a custom image flashed to the recovery or boot partitions, but they too can't fastboot flash unsigned images.

This is bad news. I'm guessing (hoping) this is not intentional on HTC's part - just once again a side effect of their over zealous bootloader protections. I'm liaising with HTC to try and work out what's going on - watch this space!

Click here to view the item

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lanlith

Hm... is there any improvement on a fix for this? I showed off the Toolkit, suggested rooting the HTC One of a colleague, and now its unlocked but have no access to recovery nor can root with superboot! :-/

• 4 years later...
Guest Qamsitery
On ‎2013‎年‎4‎月‎3‎日 at 2:15 AM, neothechosenone said:

Hey paul, i'm not quite sure, but maybe this could solve the issue. Well I worked out a workaround and until now it works. I've got root and a data working recovery :)

Thanks for you answer , the Htc root program is not simply . even if there are lot of toturial about how to solve it ,

But i still want to say , only we use a effective tool to do , we will be able to get succeed

Edited by Qamsitery