• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HTC One: Unlocking your bootloader? Beware!

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Is your HTC One arriving tomorrow? Are you planning to unlock the bootloader? Beware!

If you've ever unlocked a bootloader on a device before, you'll know that it wipes the data partition. Not normally a problem as long as you're aware of it. On the HTC One however, there are a number of applications (Calculator, Flashlight, Ringtone Trimmer and Sound Recorder) that are actually not in the main system partition, but are instead installed after a factory reset from a preload directory that lives in... the data partition!

Unfortunately, HTC haven't taken this preload directory into account in the bootloader unlock process - it gets wiped out and in turn those four system applications are gone... permanently! :blink:

Another potentially even more serious side effect is that because the OTA files check the integrity of existing applications, future OTAs won't apply if you've completed the unlock. The only way back from this situation is going to be a RUU (when one becomes available) - which will wipe your device again.

I've raised this issue with HTC and they're looking at it with the highest priority, but until such time as we have a resolution (or indeed just a backup of those 4 APKs?) then it's probably wise to hold off on the unlock.

Click here to view the item

Posted · Report post

Something makes me doubt that HTC are looking at this with anything like any priority.

Posted · Report post

Surely a normal factory reset would remove these anyway?

Posted · Report post

No, the factory reset process is smart enough not to touch the preload or media (internal sdcard) directories.

P

Posted · Report post

And you can't backup this preload data before hand, or is it a hidden partition of /data?

Posted · Report post

And you can't backup this preload data before hand, or is it a hidden partition of /data?

Unsure because mine is gone. :-D

P

Posted · Report post

Dangerous Grounds.

Posted · Report post

Mine is gone to. Looking forward to get them from xda-developers...

Posted · Report post

and htc wonder why they are losing customers