Best ROM for my phone

Guest lothaer

Guest lothaer

Hey guys I just got my G300 yesterday (upgraded from Huawei Sonic U8650-1 rooted with CM7.2 installed) and I'm already looking at rooting and installing a custom ROM.

I've been looking around and reading the various forums (inclucing the Explained Like You're 5 thread) but from my reading it looks like I could have one of those G300s that requires some extra attention.

Phone Details.

Device: Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815)

Carrier: Vodafone AU

Android version: 2.3.6

Baseband version: 109808

Kernel version: 2.6.38.6-perf android@localhost #1

Build number: U8815-51V100R001C346B900

I havn't done anything to it (yet) I just want to know what the best custom ROM/s are for my phone and if there is anything extra I'm going to need to do before I root it.

Thank you for your time and understanding as I'm sure these questions have been asked before.

Lothaer

Guest vhristenco

There is no such thing as "best rom". It's all about user's preference.

My personal advice:

if you want a fast and stable rom w/o "extra" options, stick to GB (the latest one you can upgrade to).

I tried almost every rom I found on Modaco.

ICS stock roms are all laggy (unless, maybe, you don't install any apps at all on top of it) and full of bugs.

ICS custom roms are typically faster than stock, with some bugs corrected, some not.

JB custom ones I found faster than ICS, but again, with some bugs.

The problem with ICS and JB custom roms is that they require bootloader unlocking. And that, for some users, mean random reboots.

So... it's your call. What will you sacrifice for a fancy, custom, overclockable, shiny rom?

Guest lothaer

I probably should have mentioned that when ever I use the online update options it keeps saying that there is no updates available.

EDIT: I just got done rooting my phone. I guess ill just deal with the stock rom until a custom one is available for my phone. from what ive read on the vodafone-AU blog there is on in the pipeline but we just gotta wait for huawei to release it.

Edited by lothaer

Guest tillaz

There is already a thread like this just a few steps down the page.

lol it feels like there's a new one of these threads every other day... i'm sick of seeing them :ph34r:

Guest kyan31

lol it feels like there's a new one of these threads every other day... i'm sick of seeing them ph34r.png

I know right :P

P.s your signature is awesome!

Guest lothaer

just go with atomicmod (GB), probably the best GB rom for this phone.

I contacted Huawei Australian via their Facebook page and asked when they would release an official ICS update and they replied with "We are getting the software hosted so you can download and update your software. We'll contact you when the software is ready to download." so hopefully it wont take long for the official ICS update and then sometimes after there will be a custom release?....maybe.

Did the phone came with B900 version or was it B893?Did you update to B900?

It came with B900

Edited by lothaer

Guest denzele

That's strange mine was B893 the i updated to B900 which stuffed any chance of upgrading to ICS (not Vodafone Au ) official version from Huwaei ...see this tread replacement on B893 and menaged to upgrade to ICS ...

Guest denzele

You can always (try) update with B900 version to ICS use midlle package if any error then root and open botloader flash any custom/stock rom from here and see what happens..maybe you won't have any 3G reboots..if you do or you don't like ICS just sinply downgrade back o GB like I did..plenty of options mate ....

Guest denzele

According to huawei device australia there should be an official ICS update sometime soon â„¢

Yeah they been saying that for months mate..that's way I gave up and went on my way heh..so did you try to update to official ICS or not?

I would like to help mate because I went through hell to get where I am now..running ICS Slim v.10 stock..been on CM's pretty much tried all roms available ..

Slim so far the best battery wise ..let me know..non an expert but learned thing or two here and there.. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest denzele

mate I'm 99% sure that official update from voda will be crap because of voda apps and it wont be as fast plus it might contain bugs so why bother really?

You rooted GB you can always try AtomicMod there..it will make your phone fast and more enjoyable ...or just follow links to update to ICS and so on..

Guest lothaer

mate I'm 99% sure that official update from voda will be crap because of voda apps and it wont be as fast plus it might contain bugs so why bother really?

You rooted GB you can always try AtomicMod there..it will make your phone fast and more enjoyable ...or just follow links to update to ICS and so on..

Yeah I know but most of the ICS/JB ROMs on here require you to update via the official ICS update (Being in Australia I have to wait for Huawei Australia to release the update) first which is why I'm asking if I'll have to un-root my phone first, if that's even possible.

I've downloaded AtomicMod but if I can get an ICS update then just flash a ICS/JB custom ROM then I'll wait for it.

Guest denzele

Yeah I know but most of the ICS/JB ROMs on here require you to update via the official ICS update (Being in Australia I have to wait for Huawei Australia to release the update) first which is why I'm asking if I'll have to un-root my phone first, if that's even possible.

Mate you have to start reading between lines ...I'm from Brisbane yesss Australia and YESSS I update to ICS not Australian (because there's NONE) official one which can be found in forum..or I can upload it for u ..it's ics-b952-update for ICS that i used..your baseband will change from 109808 which is now to 2030 for ICS...and you will have ICS android 4 on your phone..you may hang on that one see if you like it or processed to rooting and opening bootloader on ICS in order to install custom roms...and yes opening bootloader on ICS may cause some 3G reboots ..I'm using 2G all the timeit does the job because Telstra 2G is still kicking a.se...

p.s. I was going to link you this tread http://www.modaco.co...date-root-more/ but it seems that process of doing it became old so some parts of instructions are not available or pages are not working..strange..

link for download - http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDcwMjk=

Edited by denzele

Guest lothaer

Mate you have to start reading between lines ...I'm from Brisbane yesss Australia and YESSS I update to ICS not Australian (because there's NONE) official one which can be found in forum..or I can upload it for u ..it's ics-b952-update for ICS that i used..your baseband will change from 109808 which is now to 2030 for ICS...and you will have ICS android 4 on your phone..you may hang on that one see if you like it or processed to rooting and opening bootloader on ICS in order to install custom roms...and yes opening bootloader on ICS may cause some 3G reboots ..I'm using 2G all the timeit does the job because Telstra 2G is still kicking a.se...

p.s. I was going to link you this tread http://www.modaco.co...date-root-more/ but it seems that process of doing it became old so some parts of instructions are not available or pages are not working..strange..

link for download - http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDcwMjk=

Yeah I've read about the issues regarding official updates to ICS and the one they are working on now (should be released soon hopefully) addresses those issues like the 3G issue.

Thanks for the links I have actually read that Explained like your 5 thread previously but like you said some of the pages in it do not work.

• 4 months later...