Tethering Nexus 4 to Nexus 7

Guest cspress

Guest cspress

I recently upgraded from a Huawei Ascend G300 (stock ICS) to a Nexus 4. Never had any trouble tethering the G300 to my wifi Nexus 7. Now I've got the Nexus 4 I can't do it any more - a connection is made but no data gets transmitted (wifi icon on the Nexus 7 shows full bars but remains grey). Also tried with bluetooth: same result. Was and am on a monthly Orange plan.

Anyone else had any trouble doing this?

Guest wmoore

Does Orange block tethering? Some US carriers do. I spent last week on holiday accessing the net on my 7 tethered to my 4 (wifi tethering) so it does work. Have you reset all your wifi settings (told the 7 to forget your network)? Also, try taking all the encryption off - I wouldn't recommend leaving it that way but it is worth doing for testing.

Guest cspress

Orange didn't block tethering with my old phone so I'd be surprised if that's changed with the Nexus 4.

I have tried resetting with no success. Just tried taking encryption off as you suggest - same result - I get a strong connection but the wifi signal is grey not blue and I'm unable to actually connect to the internet. I'll keep on trying...

• 4 months later...
Guest cspress

In case anyone reads this post, turns out that Orange UK did decide to block tethering and this somehow coincided with me changing my phone. To be clear, tethering is still possible (as per their own website), it's just that they now switch it off by default and you have to ask them to turn it on. Of course they didn't tell me this, leading to many hours of wasted time on my part trying to sort out the problem. Very unimpressed.

Guest Stuart_f

I'm intrigued as to how Orange can tell you are tethering, especially since you're tethering another android device. Something doesn't seem right.

Guest mark2410

its not a bug its a feature

not a feature thats good for the end user but for the networks. if your using a stock rom then when you flick en teathering it actually changes the APN over to a new one so the networks can tell or block it if they want. thats why its happening. your g300 rom like most custom roms kills that "feature" your N4 rom clearly hasnt disabled it.

try a diff rom and that problem should go away